PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start.?

NovaBoi92
13-06-09, 10:05 PM
On monday, i adjusted my clutch cable to make the pedal in line with the brake pedal. Got home, switched the engine off, but had to start it again. so i turned the key, and nothing. just the sound of a dead battery, where it tries to crank but the battery just dies. so obviously it must have something to do with my clutch cable, i looked all around the cable and didnt notice anything, thought it was just a dead battery. so i got a jump start, and just nothing. but then i realised that when i put my foot on the clutch the ignition came on and you can hear a relay clicking in. then it started while the clutch was pressed. it had been ok ever since monday, until today when i went to switch the engine back on after driving it, just got nothing but the sound of a dead battery. so i rechecked all around the clutch cable and notice a little spade connector was out of the starter. popped it back on, but it still wouldnt start, even while being jumped. connected the two points on the starter and the engine fired up. went for a drive, when i got back, turned the engine off and then back on again to see if it was ok, and it didnt start. anybody have any ideas as to why im getting this problem?

General Baxter
13-06-09, 10:07 PM
check the earth strap near the clutch arm thingy

NovaBoi92
13-06-09, 10:08 PM
i did, and its fine. scratched off abit more paint to make a good connection

AlexW
13-06-09, 10:11 PM
msn

NovaBoi92
13-06-09, 10:27 PM
^ he's useless lol anybody else help me out?

Rich
13-06-09, 10:59 PM
earth strap definatly good? Pulled on it make sure its not falling apart (can look ok)

sorry didnt read it through peoperly.. might just be a dodgy starter, the wiring not earthed out or aything going to the starter?

Ernie
14-06-09, 08:41 AM
is there any wear on the clutch cable against the starter wires as ive seen this happen and then earthed the clutch cable and court on fire not good.

Damo
14-06-09, 09:35 AM
i was just gonna say the same as ernie ^^^.:thumb:

NovaBoi92
14-06-09, 10:34 AM
that was what was happening, the clutch cable was slightly touching the starter, and it knocked out a spade connector. its been re-routed so its not touching at all now. Aw06 isnt completely useless lol he suggested to me that i check the ignition wire from the starter, because if im getting the engine started when i bridge connections then its likely to be an ignition problem. but today ill still re check over all the earths, clean it all up, and hope it starts.

AlexW
14-06-09, 10:41 AM
Im never useless...... Youve problery forgotten everything i said about it last night lol

NovaBoi92
14-06-09, 10:48 AM
no i havent :) just chat so much **** lol

AlexW
14-06-09, 10:53 AM
So when are you going to burn it?

NovaBoi92
14-06-09, 10:56 AM
today if it doesnt start.

Nobby
14-06-09, 10:57 AM
is there any wear on the clutch cable against the starter wires as ive seen this happen and then earthed the clutch cable and court on fire not good.

:thumb: ive sen this

NovaBoi92
14-06-09, 06:46 PM
cleaned up all earths and connections, check all wires. only thing that looks odd is a small little connector that is hanging down by the bottom of the cam belt. the wires are blue and yelllow, i think. pretty sure. any ideas what this could be?

Nobby
14-06-09, 10:28 PM
coolant sensor??

NovaBoi92
14-06-09, 11:51 PM
was the oil pressure sensor. so got nothing to do with the engine not starting. :(

NovaBoi92
15-06-09, 05:19 PM
got it going. as well as one connection on the starter that wasnt on the right bit, the earth for the battery was F*cked. Re-earthed the battery to the stud on the inlet that holds on the bit for lifting out the engine. and put the connection right on the starter.

Guderian
15-06-09, 05:31 PM
Sorted. Hope you used strap not cable though, as the vibration will eventually kill it otherwise.