PDA

View Full Version : Who sells alloy rack mounts?

The Simps
13-06-09, 02:38 PM
as above.

Iain
13-06-09, 02:41 PM
Eurorallye have some for sale, don't know if they're new or off a car broken for spares. Thought they used to sell some brand new though?

http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1415&osCsid=be29b1602e0f0fd935b8ed078c8094ba

Edit: Here's some from Pro-tec:

http://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/partsDetails.cfm?id=89

bmw156
13-06-09, 02:52 PM
what are the advantages of having these??

The Simps
14-06-09, 11:26 PM
Eurorallye have some for sale, don't know if they're new or off a car broken for spares. Thought they used to sell some brand new though?

http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1415&osCsid=be29b1602e0f0fd935b8ed078c8094ba

Edit: Here's some from Pro-tec:

http://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/partsDetails.cfm?id=89

Cheers for that, rep your way! Bought the Eurorallye ones, dam expensive postage at £9.50 tho!! :eek:

Mike
15-06-09, 06:12 PM
what are the advantages of having these??

None on a manual coloumn :thumb:

t45_ste
15-06-09, 06:35 PM
Cheers for that, rep your way! Bought the Eurorallye ones, dam expensive postage at £9.50 tho!! :eek:

If you ever think the postage is to expensive let me know as i can call round and pick up the part and post it myself. :thumb:

Mike
15-06-09, 06:36 PM
£9.50 is the minimum postal price for Iain's courier so he's said?

Johnny A
15-06-09, 07:25 PM
None on a manual coloumn :thumb:

so your saying this is no point to them? or is there only if you fit PAS or something?

Mike
15-06-09, 08:03 PM
so your saying this is no point to them? or is there only if you fit PAS or something?

Basically yes.

jimbob-mcgrew
15-06-09, 09:16 PM
not a weight thing then ?

The Simps
15-06-09, 10:18 PM
Surely getting rid of a rubber push is going to tighten things up and create less unwanted movement??

Mike
15-06-09, 10:25 PM
not a weight thing then ?

Nope, you ever felt the weight of a standard rack bracket lol they weight gram's!!

Simps, TBH the rack doesnt move anyway, id be muchos worried if it did!!!

Johnny A
15-06-09, 10:28 PM
Surely getting rid of a rubber push is going to tighten things up and create less unwanted movement??

and no doubt send a fair amount of unwanted vibration through the steering wheel.

The Simps
15-06-09, 10:44 PM
oh well! They'll look prettier! lol

The Simps
25-06-09, 12:22 PM

Just been chatting to a company who build competition novas about these rack mounts while I was ordering some other bits and he was saying the rack does actually move about on the standard mounts, it moves side to side which can induce bump steer.

Mike
25-06-09, 03:12 PM
Just been chatting to a company who build competition novas about these rack mounts while I was ordering some other bits and he was saying the rack does actually move about on the standard mounts, it moves side to side which can induce bump steer.

With the above theory then, the rack will still move regardless of what the brackets are made from, as its the rubber that flex's. So therefore, alloy mounts are useless.

Easy selling technique though.

Iain
25-06-09, 06:12 PM
Alloy rack mounts are fitted without rubbers aren't they?

Sloth
25-06-09, 07:44 PM
id doubt it.....youll stress crack the rack housing.

The Simps
25-06-09, 08:11 PM
They are fitted without rubbers and just use 2 pieces of plastic between the rack and bulkhead. Its designed for a mega tight fit so there is no chance of movement.

You wouldn't crack the housing. Its the internals that are moving remember and they move freely within the rack. If anything is gonna get damaged its the internal components of the rack which would then mean quaiffe rack time :D

Johnny A
25-06-09, 08:35 PM
If I am honest Simps I would just use poly versions of the normal rubbers, I have a bad feeling about using solid ally ones.

Not to mention the vibrations sent through the rack will do your wrists no good lmao

The Simps
25-06-09, 10:56 PM
But they're soooooo shineeeee!!!!

tom reid
25-06-09, 10:57 PM
Alloy rack mounts are fitted without rubbers aren't they?

Someone talking sense....at last, it's obvious that those giving advice on this subject have never used ally mounts in competition, buy them, you won't regret it.:thumb:

Mike
25-06-09, 11:04 PM
Someone talking sense....at last, it's obvious that those giving advice on this subject have never used ally mounts in competition, buy them, you won't regret it.:thumb:

Touche, ive never fitted them as i dont believe there needed at all, ever, on a Nova.

EDIT: I have used alloy mounts in competition, ever heard of the BTRDA :thumb:

The Simps
25-06-09, 11:04 PM
I've already bought them! They came without the little plastic bits tho so had to order them from Protec today but they only wanted a few quid.

tom reid
25-06-09, 11:09 PM
Nope, you ever felt the weight of a standard rack bracket lol they weight gram's!!

So you've done btrda rounds:roll: , doesn't stop you giving, in my opinion, incorrect advice, given what you said above, you thought they were for weight saving.

The Simps
25-06-09, 11:11 PM
He didn't, someone else commented and he corrected them.

tom reid
25-06-09, 11:16 PM
I'll get my coat then:p

Mike
25-06-09, 11:17 PM
So you've done btrda rounds:roll: , doesn't stop you giving, in my opinion, incorrect advice, given what you said above, you thought they were for weight saving.

FFS you ever in your little fcuking mind heard of sarcasm you tit!! They weigth twice a steel OE rack mount!

Your opinion an my opinion is just that, an opinion. Never used them on a Nova, and personally would either. So make what you will of that.

The Simps
25-06-09, 11:22 PM
Crikey!! Anyone would think this is MIG!!!! lol

tom reid
25-06-09, 11:23 PM
FFS you ever in your little fcuking mind heard of sarcasm you tit!! They weigth twice a steel OE rack mount!

Your opinion an my opinion is just that, an opinion. Never used them on a Nova, and personally would either. So make what you will of that.

I don't really care for your tone now, very rude and abusive, I got your quote wrong, and for that I apologise.

I feel a shunting session coming on:eek:

novaxe235
26-06-09, 06:22 PM
simps have you fitted these yet ? did you notice any difference at all as im weighing up if the cost is worth it. thanks.

AlexW
26-06-09, 06:25 PM
Simps car is a project, hes not going to finish it for a while! lol

novaxe235
26-06-09, 06:27 PM
oh ok lol

t45_ste
26-06-09, 06:46 PM
If you speak to lee303 on mig, he highley recomeds them ad says you can feel the differance.

Geordie-Chris
26-06-09, 07:22 PM
I've got them fitted to mine. I fitted them the same time as my Quaife rack, and the combination has given amazingly precise steering feel. They don't feel to have given me any more vibration thru the steering wheel, so win win I reckon. I think I got mine for £30 second hand, how much are the Euro Rally ones??

The Simps
26-06-09, 07:35 PM
yeah, might be a while before mine are tested! lol Does feel nice and tight pushing the car around the workshop tho! lol

Lee303 and spanishfly run them and speak highly of them.

Eurorallye don't sell them anymore. Protec do and they're £50.

novaxe235
27-06-09, 11:14 AM
ok thanks to everyone above for letting me know i might have to purchase some.:thumb:

Johnny A
28-06-09, 06:35 PM
I did a little experiment this weekend on the Nova, because the rack runs underneath the engine cradle its a lot easier to see it working, I turned the steering and could clearly see about 1mm of movement in the bushes. Also note that the car had no engine in.

Iain
28-06-09, 06:43 PM
So would these be suitable for a road going car?

MK999
28-06-09, 06:58 PM
I did a little experiment this weekend on the Nova, because the rack runs underneath the engine cradle its a lot easier to see it working, I turned the steering and could clearly see about 1mm of movement in the bushes. Also note that the car had no engine in.

Bearing in mind that's a lighter car than usual (no engine), and it's only got the resistance of the tyres on it, no cornering forces I'd say the difference would end up fairly large then!

Johnny A
28-06-09, 07:00 PM
Well much more they would squish against the metal side points, but I am guess any movement isn't good for handling. But I think its a pay off like everything else, the solids would no doubt stop any movement but would send vibrations down the steering column. So with that in mind I think this kind of mod would be track-car territory and not a daily driver thing.

Chris Astley
29-06-09, 10:44 PM
I do mate, give us a call.

nova2.0widearch
30-06-09, 03:58 PM
I also think Rally Design sell them, in faversham Kent