PDA

View Full Version : No power + battery power?!

Leeboo
12-06-09, 11:30 PM
As the title suggests... I was out in my 1.2 carb Nova tonight and all was going fine until I noticed the wipers were getting very very slow, I thought nothing of it and thought it was the motor at fault.

Then a few minutes later, the car started chugging and running very rough. There wasn't really any electrical power either, the lights were dimmer. So I pulled over... checked tension of fan belt etc. All seemed fine, but I went to start the car again and there wasn't even enough battery to power the dash lights. So it went on a push start. Ran quite rough again until it got so bad that I had to pull over again. Same story, got it going again..... revved with hesitation ans spitting.

So I revved off in a huff, and hey presto, everything had normal power and it drove home fine.

Obviously I don't want it to happen again so can anyone suggest a diagnosis? Faulty altenator?

Thanks a mil!! Lee

fearless
12-06-09, 11:36 PM
Check your earth straps on the gearbox and alternator

AlexW
13-06-09, 10:10 AM
Im going to agree ^ If they look fine take them of and give them a clean up, plus where the meet each end.

Leeboo
13-06-09, 10:41 AM
Cheers lads, will try what yous said, and carry on as normal, hopefully it won't happen again! both rep'd

mikey14sr
13-06-09, 04:41 PM
Had this happen on a 2.0 8v conversion with a brand new alternator and earth straps, the battery was borked, just would not take a charge.

jimbob-mcgrew
14-06-09, 02:30 PM
b0rk!

Leeboo
14-06-09, 05:30 PM
Cheers mikey, it seems that everythign is fine now, I've done amost 100 miles since it happened? without a hitch?

seems it was a one off, but I suppose it could happen again. I will look further into it if it happens again.

Leeboo
20-06-09, 12:44 PM
Well this problem cropped up again last night, car just wouldn't power anything, even sidelights struggled. So jumped started and drove home behind my mate in the rain with no wipers lights etc in the dark... with my head out the window to see lol, luckily it was a private road :wtf: .

Turned out to be a wire torn/ripped (not sure how) going to the altenator. So fixed that and changed the altenator for a spare one I had (don't know why I changed the altenator but anyhoo). Going perfect now.