PDA

View Full Version : tdc pulley notch

jimbob-mcgrew
12-06-09, 01:54 AM
when exactly should the pulley notch line up with the piston at tdc ?

mine lines up when piston 1 is just coming to the end of its upstroke.
is it not supposed to be inbetween the up and down stroke, the stage inbetween where its not going anywhere ?

and what about cam timing on the 8v's, most ive seen line up dead straight with a 12 o clock notch topside of cam, but on mine ive got a notch in the cambelt cover thats at 11 o clock.

changing the cambelt is all, and i dont want it to be a tooth out.

also, how tight do the cam and crank bolts need to be, and whats the best way of doing em up with the engine out the car.

cheers for any light :thumb:

George g
12-06-09, 07:52 AM
TDC = Top Dead Centre

so piston 1 will be at TDC when it is at or just past the top of its up stroke.

notches should be lined up. mine looks at 11 when off the engine, but is fat 12 on the engine. :thumb:

Cam pulley bolt is at 25Nm. dont know about the crak bolts... cam pulley can be done by putting a spanner round a flatted surface on one side of the cams (not on the cam itself, but just down the side)...:thumb:

HTH

garyc
12-06-09, 10:03 AM
The pulley notch is 10 degrees BTDC. line that pulley up on the oil pump and the notch on the cam with the mark on the back plate (the black bit behind the cam.).

jimbob-mcgrew
12-06-09, 12:24 PM
10 degrees BEFORE tdc ? so my notch is right i guess ? being that the mark lines up just before the piston gets onnn uppp

jimbob-mcgrew
12-06-09, 12:25 PM
if its a tooth out, whats will it run like ? wahts the worse that can happen ?

Lee
12-06-09, 12:44 PM
One tooth out wont hurt it , it'll just run badly, or wont run at all.

If the old belt is still on it, make your own marks if your not 100% sure, just line up the cam pulley to its marker, and mark the crank pulley with some tippex. Do this on the belt as well, then you can count the teeth on the new belt and mark it up so you know its gone on exactly like its come off.

V6 belts come with timing marks on the belt like that, and theyre fapping handy. I used to do the same when I started out tinkering with cars and wasn't overly confident :)

garyc
12-06-09, 02:21 PM
has the head or block been skimmed at all and by how much?

jimbob-mcgrew
12-06-09, 10:27 PM
timing marks on the belt does sound damn handy.

dunno if its been skimmed gary :tard: head gasket has been done atleast once in its life, so possibly.