PDA

View Full Version : What tyres to run on the ring??

novaboyopr
11-06-09, 08:19 PM
im off to the ring at the end of july, im currently running works compomotive 14inch th's on my car with 185/55 r14 continental rainsports which came with the wheels.
just wondering what peoples thoughts are about the best tyres for 14s round the ring?:)

Asa-James
11-06-09, 08:28 PM
whatever you take, be sure they are going to last. i take it your driving there and back? plus hard driving when you get there all take their toll. my advise would be to get advice on a decent hard wearing set of tyres and get them fitted a couple of days before you head off

Jay
11-06-09, 08:40 PM
Pics of said car please :)

novaboyopr
11-06-09, 09:14 PM
yeah will be driving there and back.
my mate has just been round europe in his 205 with a set of cheap yoko's around 40 quid a tyre done 4 laps of the ring and they have worn about 1/4, but cant get them in 14's:mad:

i will try and find the for sale thread of the car cos havnt got the car here atm mate

novaboyopr
11-06-09, 09:18 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120800

Jay
11-06-09, 09:25 PM
Ahh you bought that one! What engine are you going to be using?

Sorry for going off topic, where abouts in windsor are you im only in Bracknell.

wwmnw
11-06-09, 09:28 PM
Ten bob skinny's for the trip over, Top spec tyres for thrashing on the track lots of pictures jobs a good'n.

Jack
11-06-09, 09:43 PM
Buy a cheap set of wheels for the track and stick some decent tyres on them. Save the 14 and the current tyres for the drive there and back.

Mike
11-06-09, 09:44 PM
Personally id settle for some circular rubber efforts, commonly black in colour, better to be safe then sorry after all....

Graeme
11-06-09, 09:49 PM
R888s would be my choice

Stuart
11-06-09, 09:52 PM
R888s would be my choice

on those shocking belgium roads on the way over..... funk that lol

I ran KU31's on the VX and they were tip top, plus silly cheap and do water well

novaboyopr
11-06-09, 09:53 PM
see i was thinking about getting them new square ones think there red in colour iirc lol
cant really be doing with taking another set of wheels got the misses case to fit in the back lol

jay:-
i needed a car quick for the ring and this had the coilovers and wheels i wanted. tidy shell just needs one door repainting.
its getting a c16xe cam'ed, 4-1 manifold and custom inlet designed to go to the ring with. wanted to stay n/a as ive had the big powerd turbo cars already time for a change of scene. lol i live kinda in the middle of town mate btw

novaboyopr
11-06-09, 09:55 PM
was thin thinking r888s but there a bit pricey to drive all the way to the ring on.

Graeme
11-06-09, 09:55 PM
I ment for the Ring sessions not the commute, drive over there and back on the 14s and run the r888s on the track

Jay
11-06-09, 09:57 PM
see i was thinking about getting them new square ones think there red in colour iirc lol
cant really be doing with taking another set of wheels got the misses case to fit in the back lol

jay:-
i needed a car quick for the ring and this had the coilovers and wheels i wanted. tidy shell just needs one door repainting.
its getting a c16xe cam'ed, 4-1 manifold and custom inlet designed to go to the ring with. wanted to stay n/a as ive had the big powerd turbo cars already time for a change of scene. lol i live kinda in the middle of town mate btw

I have the engine you want lol but i still need exhaust manifold, check my wip in my sig.

novaboyopr
11-06-09, 10:00 PM
i already have the engine my brother use to have it in his nova but has built a c16xe turbo now so left this one to me. ive just gotta finish rebuilding it hopefully this week then drop it in. next job is to get the manifold made up.

novaboyopr
11-06-09, 10:01 PM
I ment for the Ring sessions not the commute, drive over there and back on the 14s and run the r888s on the track

cant really take another set of wheels mate thats the problem.

joff-turbo-nova
12-06-09, 07:36 AM
cant really take another set of wheels mate thats the problem.

I use Michelin Exalto's which seem to give a good balance between grip and longevity.

Not the cheapest but you pay what you get for.

Cheers

Joff

skidmarkz
12-06-09, 03:21 PM
R888s would be my choice

yup :)

I drove out their on 4 Rainsports, with 2 R888's in the boot for the front :), then i couldnt be assed to change em so i drove home with the R888's still on heh :D

Geordie-Chris
12-06-09, 03:48 PM
I drove from Newcastle to Hull, then Zebrugge to Nurburg, 4 laps of the ring then home again (820mile round trip) on my Toyo T1R's and they were great, hardly any wear and performed well, they get my vote.
The commute there and back is only motorway miles so won't kill tyres!

mayhem
12-06-09, 03:57 PM
true. just the potholes in belgium will kill you. its insane there.

although i'd take an extra set, just to be sure.

novaboyopr
12-06-09, 05:56 PM
my mate who has just got back said the belgium roads are mint on the motorways we're not planing on going into the towns or anything just straight through.