PDA

View Full Version : Any VW techs?

Sloth
11-06-09, 04:30 PM
right, the background.....
a colleagues 1998 passat 20v turbo failed its emmisions test badly. the mot centre referred her to a garage who have said that:

the turbo is seized,
the piston rins are "faulty"
the stem seals are "worn out"

they've quoted £1200 to fix all of this.( very very cheap imho...)
now...
iirc if your fitting new rings then you need a rebore, and new pistons, yet there is no mention of this, nor is there any note of bore wear or measurements.
also the "new" turbo is apparently off ebay, and is a recon, i personally think that thats a no-no, any ideas?
i do remember hearing the egr valve dies coking the engine up, but apparently the 20vt only had an egr post 1999???
any help considered, esp off john h!!
cheers guys!!!!!

Sloth:thumb:

Lee
11-06-09, 04:35 PM
Take it to another garage, preferably one that hasn't got saloon doors on it.

If an engine had that much wrong with it, you wouldnt be able to see out of the back window for the smoke!

Nobby
11-06-09, 04:47 PM
i take it that it was the hc's that were high?? do a comp check to identify rings? Is it down on performance? because a turbod car with a seized turbo obviously would be **** and would most surely put the eml on?

napalm_27
11-06-09, 04:54 PM
them engine a pronowned for blowing the turbo seals
mate worked for backdraft and work on them day in day out

go on www.backdraft.co.uk (http://www.backdraft.co.uk) send them a email see what they say

Sloth
11-06-09, 06:04 PM
apparently it kicked black smoke out and was down on power. but 1200 for all the bits and labour???? considering theyve told her that there gonna strip it all down....

napalm_27
11-06-09, 06:05 PM
tell her to get it done as a k03 turbo is £600 alone

John
11-06-09, 06:06 PM
I work as vw tech. Eml on? Fault codes? Asked them to prove how they know it needs all those repairs! Lamda probes are common probs, so could be causing overfuelling , smoke etc. Done a beetle today, similar symptoms. lamda probe 2 cured fault. tell her to take it for an hours diag at a main dealer if she's not sure.

scott.parker
11-06-09, 06:10 PM
Sounds like there bending her over if you ask me!

And TBF the car's not worth much more then that repair quote..

John
11-06-09, 06:11 PM
Sounds like there bending her over if you ask me!

And TBF the car's not worth much more then that repair quote..

Agreed, what's it worth with 12 months mot? £800?

Sloth
11-06-09, 06:15 PM
exactly, i said a s/h lump is about 600 ffs.....
ill tell her to get it diag'd and ask for proof of the faults. thanks guys!!!!
any more gen greatly appreciated!

Jack
11-06-09, 07:16 PM
Surely the owner would know if the turbo was seized? As it would be severely restricting power.

I'd also be a bit wary of a garage buying replacement parts from ebay - should they not have proper supply chains for all their parts which come with associated warranties?! A recon turbo is fine, an ebay recon turbo is fine, but a garage buying/fitting an ebay recon turbo is a bit meh.

Sloth
11-06-09, 07:21 PM
mmm the best bit.......

the garage is called "engine and gearbox centre". says it all....

Lee
11-06-09, 08:04 PM
apparently it kicked black smoke out and was down on power. but 1200 for all the bits and labour???? considering theyve told her that there gonna strip it all down....

Black smoke? SO no blue smoke?

How can you have a set of shagged rings, stem seals and a knackered turbo, and there be no trace of burning oil at all?

What a bunch of monkeys :roll:

Ash
11-06-09, 08:17 PM
VAGCOM :cool:

btw Hydrocarbons should be 1200 max. The nova on T40's was 1750 when it went for MOT lol

Spudly
11-06-09, 08:19 PM
mmm the best bit.......

the garage is called "engine and gearbox centre". says it all....

Isnt that where you used to work:roll:

Gashgusher
11-06-09, 08:21 PM
sounds like the engine and gearbox centre's got massive windows, and theyve seen ur mate coming a long way off lol

obviously im only speculating (sorry for bumpin in on thread) but i have several close mates who work at main dealers, fully time served and certified by their respective companies/ vehicle maufacturers, and i wouldnt trust anyone less with a diagnosis like this. main dealer knowlege ftw, back street prices ftw

L14MNP
11-06-09, 08:24 PM
Dirty MAF/MAP? lol

Sloth
12-06-09, 12:39 AM
spud, no it bloody isnt!!! lee, i hadnt thought of that, methinks she'll be getting told to go to vag with it. cheers chaps!

novasaloon1984
12-06-09, 01:52 PM
spud, no it bloody isnt!!! lee, i hadnt thought of that, methinks she'll be getting told to go to vag with it. cheers chaps!

we had a problem with boost pipe to the intercooler as the clips snap ans come off resulting in smoke and power dropped off totally. hope that helps. i would lend you my vag com but you live miles away