PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Oil Brands

mikeoxford
07-02-03, 06:35 PM
My engine has been run on whatever oil during my ownership, and also chris ward previously.

its castrol gtx summat or other

i just wondered wether i could switch to using the exact same brand, BUT magnatec stuff without doing any damage or will mixing affect anything?

i guess itll have complete oil change etc anyway when its serviced soon.........

just wondered if u cud use the magnatec over the top like

Ste_Nova
07-02-03, 07:09 PM
use vaux semi

jatinder
07-02-03, 09:04 PM
i run mine on mobil 1 i pretty sure most oils are compatable but to be honest you might as well change the oil n filterkneway . check on the packet if they have a number phone them up

Chris LR
07-02-03, 09:07 PM
Check the Viscosity and the V.E.D Rating (I don't think thats right)

The V.E.D Rating is 2 letters long and will start with an S for petrol oils.

Dicko
07-02-03, 11:56 PM
it wont do any damage no. the oils might seperate when cold and engine not moving. but once warm and moving about wouldnt make much diff

seli
09-02-03, 01:43 AM
It realy dosent mater much what oil u use just use the chepest oil that u can find .... only as long its semi ..... you can also use mindral butt that oil gets wors after some time and youll have 2 changeit more often.
oil brands or companys dosent mater its all from the same plase/factorys
(realy) so just the cheapest as long its semi then youll gett the best and cheapest...... :wink:

mikeoxford
09-02-03, 08:34 PM
its gonna have a full change! cant be arsed with doin any different! ill just get the mehcanic on to it

i did top it up with magnatec and it seems ok.

CP
09-02-03, 10:03 PM
Well for what its worth in my opinion I wouldnt bother buying an expensive "branded" oil. I've looked into this whole engine oil thing (for my farm equipment mainly) You are paying extra for the name and a load of additives that aren't really necessary and thats all - they do not "perform better".
Providing you buy oil from a reputable source you will be OK. Similarly for older engines there really isn't any advantage to be had from using a semi or fully synthetic oils over mineral oils- and you may well be causing more harm than good by using the ultra thin 0W40 synthetics like Mobil1. All that happens is your hydraulic lifters tap when hot and oil pisses out of every concievable crack all the time leaving your precious oil all over the floor everytime you park.
The key thing if you want to protect your engine and prolong its life is to change the oil frequently- like less than every 5000 miles. I have had a look around at oil prices and I opt to buy Halfords own brand which is loads cheaper and works fine. I reckon a normal 10 or 15W40 mineral oil is fine for most older Nova engines. You can leave changing the filter to every other or every 3rd oil change if you use the frequent oil change method.
This isnt some old bolox I've made up - its the conclusion of some work and experiments Bill Blydenstein did on Vaux engines

novax
11-02-03, 10:19 PM
As CP says, 15W40 mineral will do fine, Turbo Cavs use it as sinthetic p**ses through the turbo seals. Those engines are working so much harder than ours. Bill Blydenstein is the man we should all listen too, his word is law.

Dicko
12-02-03, 09:31 AM
mike if you want some good oil cheap let me know. i know what everybody is saying but hey ya never know.
i got loadsa castrol RS priced at ?40 in demon tweeks. ?10 a bottle if you want any m8!!

mikeoxford
12-02-03, 12:09 PM
mike if you want some good oil cheap let me know. i know what everybody is saying but hey ya never know.
i got loadsa castrol RS priced at ?40 in demon tweeks. ?10 a bottle if you want any m8!!

is it off a lorry? :lol:

drop us a mail m8

frog_southampton
12-02-03, 02:38 PM
what oil should i use in my 1989 GTE then??

Ste_Nova
12-02-03, 02:56 PM
vauxhalls own semi (black bottle) under ?10 for 5 litres

Ben (lurk75)
12-02-03, 07:08 PM
i always use mobil 1 or castrol RS but thats only cause i get it free.

mikeoxford
12-02-03, 10:21 PM
i always use mobil 1 or castrol RS but thats only cause i get it free.

im assuming you dont mix it and u flush before hand like?

Ben (lurk75)
12-02-03, 11:22 PM
i change my oil every couple of months and swap filters, as oil is free only costs ?3 for a filter.

Chris LR
12-02-03, 11:38 PM
Halfords Finest