PDA

View Full Version : why does it do this ?

Ric 16v
07-02-03, 06:13 PM
I have recently changed my 1.2 engine for a 1.4 sr one, the 1.2 was single point injection and the sr is a carb the sr engine is run off the 1.2 loom and when I come to start it in the morning It starts but doesn't idle so I have to rev it to about 2000 revs but it just cuts out, I have to do this about 4 times untill it starts runing properly and I can set off, if I put a full 1.4 sr wiring loom in would it cure this problem or would it be the same? the engine runs sweet as a nut, but it's starting it which is realy pissing me off, HELP PLEASE

Ste_Nova
07-02-03, 06:26 PM
all the 1.4 needs is live and ground to the coil and a live feed to the wire on the carb

mikeoxford
07-02-03, 06:37 PM
all the 1.4 needs is live and ground to the coil and a live feed to the wire on the carb

yup. all carb engines are the same, only when u start messing with injection do you have extra wires and ecus and etc etc

im assuming the 1.2 you HAD was carb?

obviously if it was injection, and u still had the ecu plumbed in due to several sensors etc not being on your new carb engine it may be doing something to try and adjust the fuel.

need more details on what u catually did in conversion methinks.

_JH_
08-02-03, 12:02 AM
the 1.2 was single point injection and the sr is a carb

Stuart
08-02-03, 12:33 PM
out of intrest what does the wire on the 1.4 carb do??? thats the only things thats ever reallly puzzeled me

Manta Mad
08-02-03, 02:52 PM
Does the engine start and idle OK when it is hot?

Ric 16v
08-02-03, 06:38 PM
yeah it starts and idle's fine when it's hot/been running for a while, just when I come to start it in the morning when it's cold it won't idle without giving it a few revs for about 5 mins untill it warms up, if I was to re-wire the car with a sr loom would this be hard to do and yes I know the dash would have to come out !!!

Aragorn
08-02-03, 06:55 PM
its the stereotypical carb needs adjusted

im sure there are many threads

look in haynes to find the fast idle SPEED screw and wind it up a bit (DO NOT TOUCH THE IDLE MIX)

if that fails take it to a garage and get em to sort the carb

Manta Mad
08-02-03, 07:53 PM
Is the choke working OK?

Freddy
09-02-03, 12:21 PM
Im no expert or nothing but if the ecu is still wired it might b trying to put the car in cold start mode or somthing and fucking up the carb just a guess

mikeoxford
09-02-03, 09:05 PM
out of intrest what does the wire on the 1.4 carb do??? thats the only things thats ever reallly puzzeled me

the black yellow?

ist the auto choke on the base of the air filter (dustbin lid)