PDA

View Full Version : vibration @ 50mph

Annie
10-06-09, 09:24 PM
Hi guys,

I have a small problem with the nova which Ive been getting for the last few months, Im getting a vibration throu the steering which comes & go.
(& no my vib hasnt fallen under my drivers seat lol )

In the last few weeks I have replaced:

4 x new tyres & balac
Ball joints
Tie bar Bushes
Discs & pads
(Its not a sticiking caliper)
front wheel bearings.

Any help would be great as this is driving me made & is kinda worryin at high speeds.

CoolTiger
10-06-09, 09:28 PM
does it go at higher speed ? or just keeps getting worst ?

16v Nova Kev
10-06-09, 09:31 PM
cv joint/faulty tyre i had one with a lump in the tread /loose wheel nuts

let_nova
10-06-09, 09:32 PM
bent driveshaft?
although the wheels are balanced the wieght could of come off.?
bubble in tyre?

Leeboo
10-06-09, 09:35 PM
I was going to suggest a defective tyre. Had this violent vibration in my Nova at higher speeds... disappeared after I got my new front tyres.

Annie
10-06-09, 10:53 PM
does it go at higher speed ? or just keeps getting worst ?

Its normally between 50 & 65 but yes it does go away at higher speeds.

Will F
11-06-09, 08:27 AM
buckled wheel?

ianglanister
11-06-09, 09:05 AM
wheels not balanced, i had this on my van i have two new tyres fitted was going down the east lancs and started getting the vibration checked everything over and could find a problem ended up taking it back to get the tyre pressures checked and re balanced was fine after that. They never fitted the weights properly!!

xxspudxx
11-06-09, 10:24 AM
buckled wheel?

What he said, what wheels are on the car?

Annie
11-06-09, 01:49 PM
What he said, what wheels are on the car?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys.

As I said above Its was vibrating even before I got new tyres.

Fitted with 13" steel wheels with brand new michelin tyres.

No buckles in the wheels.

only thing I havnt looked at is the drive shafts.

burgo
11-06-09, 01:52 PM
i know it sounds silly as you can feel it through the steering but have you checked your rear wheel bearings??

Lee
11-06-09, 04:11 PM
Is it a high pitched vibration or is it more of a judder?

if its a judder your front shocks are probably worn and you're getting mild wheel bounce at high speed.

jono395
11-06-09, 05:30 PM
i reckon the wheels havent been balanced correctly.

stevie-p
11-06-09, 05:38 PM
mine does it due to tracking (i think) at 50 - 80mph so this will be good for me too

goldengraham
11-06-09, 06:00 PM
I'd say either a weight has fallen off the wheel..maybe a stick on one behind the face of the alloy.

Check tyre pressures
Check tyre maybe a slight bulge although this might be hard to see

Annie
11-06-09, 06:42 PM
HMMM got me thinking it might be front shocks as they are the original ones & the cars done 91k, I will also get the tracking checked. cheers

Lee
11-06-09, 08:11 PM
91K on original shockers??!! Thats good going :) But i bet they are fubarred.

Have a jump on the front and see how much it bounces. A reasonable absorber should bounce back up, and then settle with no extra bounces. If it moves more than that, they are definately shot.

Annie
12-06-09, 11:25 PM
Right Ive changed the shocks this morning & had all 4 wheels balanced again then took the car for a 150 mile round trip to milton keynes to look at another nova.

Its strange 1st 40 miles no vibration. Then it started really bad steering wheel was shaking. between 50mph & 70mph, it stopped if I went nearer 80mph. after 15mins it stopped. then It done it on & off on the way home, was shaking so bad I was nearly sick. its a joke.

cv joints?
Drive shafts?
Steering rack?
Sticking caliper even thou it seems fine had it checked.

Im running out of money lol...

AlexW
13-06-09, 10:14 AM
Check the CVs/driveshafts, get your hands dirty and grab the shaft, try and move it around without turning the wheel/hub etc and also look for movement in and out out of the cvs, a bit of movment is fine.

Cant see it being the steering rack causing it, a sticking caliper could cause a judder/vibation but if youve had both checked...

Lee
13-06-09, 11:47 AM
Rear shockers? warped disc? worn bushes?

Need to check absolutely everything tbh. Id take it to a garage you trust and just ask them to look over it.