PDA

View Full Version : Post PV rattles/Breakages?

scott.parker
08-06-09, 10:07 AM
So who got some post PV rattles/breakages??

I have lol

Got almost home and noticed this nasty rattling noise that comes on at 2500 rpm, when i got home i checked it out again and i think either..

A) some one tried to undo my Opel spark plug cover lol
B) theres allot more vibration then i realised as it's worked loose and was shaking!

Then the other thing i noticed was the CV boot the garage put on last week (Monday) the clip has come off and i now have a CV grease lined arch and MO :roll: Best get them to sort that later today.

Scott

kevster
08-06-09, 10:13 AM
i lost my bloody glass's arrrrrrr ....
and austin had a very small oil problem :(

General Baxter
08-06-09, 10:13 AM
some one tried to undo my Opel spark plug cover lol

NOT ME

Southie
08-06-09, 10:15 AM
I didn't go. lol

Check your cam belt cover as mine does the same at 2500 every so often. It fights to get loose with solid mounts I think. lol

Jeff16v
08-06-09, 10:22 AM
got a very strange noise from my F20 in 5th under load, also loads of rattles from the tophat and scuttle cover.

I suspect the F20 is on its way out, 3rd gearbox lucky

philip
08-06-09, 10:22 AM
not nova related, but we got 20mile from pv in mates kadett c when the dif started making a hell of a noise and rumble off load, then had ecu problems saturday, and even had to get a spare dta ecu brought down on the saturday afternoon. then figured out the plug for the ecu needs a re-wire!lol

scott.parker
08-06-09, 10:29 AM

Sorry to here about your glass's dude, would of love to of seen your face when i left, it was only after we went past i realised it was you i had just booted it in front of lol

General Baxter
08-06-09, 10:34 AM

thats cus hes a flump lol

Lee H
08-06-09, 10:40 AM
I suspect the F20 is on its way out, 3rd gearbox lucky

Doubt it unless you fit an F28 :D

MattBrown
08-06-09, 10:41 AM

I was there when austin fired it up, smoke on the water (It was smokey and the floor was wet)

Its a mean machine though austin, fair play to you fella!:thumb:

dj_wudgey
his saloon still looks well nice though!! even though it didnt run well on the day which was slight disapointment!!

Asa-James
my litle 1.2 did 300 miles without a hitch. not bad considering it's been on the road since thursday morning and i didnt really check it over

kevster
08-06-09, 10:47 AM
Sorry to here about your glass's dude, would of love to of seen your face when i left, it was only after we went past i realised it was you i had just booted it in front of lol
yeah dude was going to jump in front of you , but thought i better not i mite hurt lol

Graeme
08-06-09, 11:06 AM
Mine has developed a rather nasty vibration coming from the front end, anything over 60 feels like its going to pull itself to bits, I swapped the front wheels for the spares and it still does it, any thoughts?

AlexW
08-06-09, 11:07 AM
My car knew i wanted it to go wrong so it would give me a damm good reason for not coming, insted it didnt go wrong apart from poping a hose.

General Baxter
mud lol

AlexW
Mine has developed a rather nasty vibration coming from the front end, anything over 60 feels like its going to pull itself to bits, I swapped the front wheels for the spares and it still does it, any thoughts?

if its not the wheels check all the suspension. Altho mine has vibrated a bit since i fitted the spare shaft.

Spudly
08-06-09, 11:12 AM
Did you check inside your rear wheels aswell Graeme, as mine was all over the road at 45mph and the steering wheel was trying to pull itself out of my hand and i thought it would be the front wheels but it was actually the o/s rear wheel full of mud, check both your rears and try again!

Graeme
08-06-09, 11:13 AM
Cheers mate

General Baxter
08-06-09, 11:15 AM
i have the epic brake down of the show, as i casued a tail back :p

Spudly
08-06-09, 11:16 AM
i have the epic brake down of the show, as i casued a tail back :p

Lmfao, yeah cos bits fell off and your car died lol

General Baxter
08-06-09, 11:18 AM
Lmfao, yeah cos bits fell off and your car died lol

also i was about 5 miles from home and the fuel pipe under the car, desided to go 'pop' lol

that poor car behind me got 3bar of fuel all over the front of his nice new golf lol

Spudly
08-06-09, 11:20 AM
Bloody hell youre lucky it didnt ignite on your exhaust and create a flaming loon of fire:eek:

scott.parker
That could of been nasty!

General Baxter
funny more like lol

'you know how your tent was a little wet, erm its dry now lol '

scott.parker
08-06-09, 11:22 AM
Spud i still have your rag lol give it you after i use it at Billing!

PS: even though i didn't go on any mud i think it might be dry mud that made my steering all wobbly on way home, least i hope so?

vaughanmc
08-06-09, 11:34 AM
Can't say anything went wrong with my car except before we left there was a small rubbing noise coming from the back drum but that soon wore away

Just over 700 miles in one day pretty much and it ran perfectly :)

dj_wudgey
08-06-09, 11:38 AM
funny more like lol

'you know how your tent was a little wet, erm its dry now lol '

f*cking class mate i wouldent have found my nova bursting into flames funny lol

General Baxter
08-06-09, 11:39 AM
i would, its worth to me more dead then alive lol

Jack
08-06-09, 11:54 AM
My gearbox broke :(

....nah, of course it didn't. Its been on its last legs for about a month now and still refuses to die lol

An "most reliable bodged heap of turd" gen?

novait
08-06-09, 11:59 AM
apart from having huge amounts of mud keep falling off all the way home all went well for me and my 200 mile trip.lol

ade
08-06-09, 12:09 PM
oddly my carb drank 2 tanks of fuel coming down but only 1.5 tanks going back and I had more weight on the return joyrney and was "going up hill" most of the way

lol

Had an annoyiing buzzing noise for part of the journey - then is stopped...

dj_wudgey
08-06-09, 12:26 PM
my bootlid card has a corner broke off thanks to my dad one off the clips poped out and that rattled all the way home lol

craig green
08-06-09, 12:32 PM
I need to fit my ERL water injection, open up the front bumper for more air flow to the interwarmer, weld over the fecking sunroof (family of mice are doing my head in!) & figure out why I can smell fuel all the time.

Nova's wouldnt be Nova's without running probs & oily fingernails.

dj_wudgey
08-06-09, 12:37 PM
I need to fit my ERL water injection, open up the front bumper for more air flow to the interwarmer, weld over the fecking sunroof (family of mice are doing my head in!) & figure out why I can smell fuel all the time.

Nova's wouldnt be Nova's without running probs & oily fingernails.

they just wouldent would they mate!!

BIGS
08-06-09, 12:44 PM
Well all i had at first was the rattle from the headlight which ive been trying to sort for months.Then i take the headlight out to go up the strip and it fits perfect and i can say for the first time in 12 months. I LOVE MY CAR :D

craig green
08-06-09, 12:47 PM
Well all i had at first was the rattle from the headlight which ive been trying to sort for months.Then i take the headlight out to go up the strip and it fits perfect and i can say for the first time in 12 months. I LOVE MY CAR :D

Glad you got home OK mate, me & Jack waited for you outside pod, but you disappeared at the time we said we were going to drive off from the club stand. :thumb:

Paul
08-06-09, 12:53 PM
Breakage- Fuel rail decided to part company with my engine on the strip

Judder- Strange Judder at 110ish, which stopped my running up the strip

Noise- Handbrake cable catching on rear beam I think...

Concern- Strengthening my X memeber

Other than a good run as to say, done 25 consistent(ish) runs over the weekend

craig green
08-06-09, 12:56 PM

Damn! Chip suffered a fire with his due to a similar problem. :eek:

joff-turbo-nova
08-06-09, 01:01 PM
Mine on the way out after it had warmed up (about 10 mins) started to smoke a bit on idle - white whispy stuff.

Not sure whether it was running rich or was oil burningh - checked the oil levels before i left and when I got home and everything was exactly the same.

The engine has only done about 5000 miles since I built it so not too sure whats going on.

Booted it a few times and played with the Apexi controller along an empty M62 and everything seemed fine.

Oh yes - will now have to get the pressure washer out to get rid of all the muck!

scott.parker
08-06-09, 01:01 PM

F*uck me that sounds a bit hairy! :eek:

Did say hi to you briefly,but could see you was a bit busy so i left you to it, hope it's all back together soon and laying in some more good runs.

Scott

Paul
08-06-09, 01:03 PM
Damn! Chip suffered a fire with his due to a similar problem. :eek:

Nothing a nice big jubilee didnt sort out :roll:

Was pretty lucky realy Criag that mine didnt go up, could proper smell it in the cabin, suppose my heatwrapped downpipe must have helped, as nothing else is really hot at the back of the engine?

BIGS
08-06-09, 01:14 PM
Glad you got home OK mate, me & Jack waited for you outside pod, but you disappeared at the time we said we were going to drive off from the club stand. :thumb:

Yea i said to Jack i was just going up to tell the cavcrazy lot were going now. I turned around and couldnt see you :(. AH if i knew you waited outside pod i would of carried on. should of txt me bud. Hope you got back fine

Paul
08-06-09, 01:18 PM
F*uck me that sounds a bit hairy! :eek:

Did say hi to you briefly,but could see you was a bit busy so i left you to it, hope it's all back together soon and laying in some more good runs.

Scott

I remember you introducing yourself, but thats it, i thought after damn i must have come across as a rude prick, so sorry.

Think I had the issue with the rail and about 5 different ideas being thrown at me Scott, sorry mate :(

xe Dan
08-06-09, 01:38 PM
your car looked awsome at the pod paul look well quick have some rep
and my 1.2 ran 100% even got to 115 mph on the clock down a hill with the wind behind me lol

Will F
08-06-09, 02:00 PM
380 trouble free miles! ;)

Although I had a bit of a headache and my ears were ringing when I got home - need some quick release TBs.:cool:

scott.parker
08-06-09, 02:07 PM
Humm Will i feel your pain, i think me and my mate are using earplug's next time, it's at around 75-80mph and 3-3500rpm lol

burgo
08-06-09, 02:15 PM
mine got there and back trouble free as she always does

Smurf-Xx
08-06-09, 03:03 PM
must be mud, porters green one was doing it to me and it felt like a boat sliding everywhere! He was moaning for driving so slow when we got home.... Hello? Completed loaded 1.4 caked in mud trying to keep up with your let?!!

Will F
08-06-09, 03:12 PM
Humm Will i feel your pain, i think me and my mate are using earplug's next time, it's at around 75-80mph and 3-3500rpm lol

I tried just about every speed - worst was 80-82!! Best was 88-95, although the paetrol gauge loved that!!

PS Paul - did you find your jacK??

Spudly
08-06-09, 03:36 PM
Yea i said to Jack i was just going up to tell the cavcrazy lot were going now.

Damn i went round twice looking for the cav crazy guys and failed to find them as i could only see a mk2 cav and a yellow cally as their stand was facing away from the tarmac, i wanted to pop over and say hi aswell, damnit!

You on cc btw bigs?

BIGS
08-06-09, 03:46 PM
I am now lol

Yea dont know where they were on the stand but i was camping beside them. We have a few pics/vids of them so ill upload them all later.

Spudly
08-06-09, 03:48 PM
They were almost in a straight line away from us on the grass (read grass, see swamp) and i couldnt tell what stand it was from behind so i never clicked:cry:

Cool im on there aswell, only found out where they were cos i had a looky at their pv pics thread lol

AlanH
08-06-09, 05:21 PM
must be mud, porters green one was doing it to me and it felt like a boat sliding everywhere! He was moaning for driving so slow when we got home.... Hello? Completed loaded 1.4 caked in mud trying to keep up with your let?!!

how do you think i felt? 220 miles waiting for the mrs. in her 1.0 corsa (she's the blonde one you were talking to while she was washing my car on the png club stand)my mate rob took it up the strip and ran a 22.7 pmsl. I had bad vibration at around 65+, probably mud too. tried going faster and it got worse, got to 120 and decided i was just being silly, felt like the dash wasn't bolted in. Idle control valve packed in (cheers to everyone that helped me with it). balljoint bolts were a bit loose, driveshaft nut needed tightened. battery went flat because i left lights on. battery terminal came off on the way home. ecu fell off shelf on a back road near home. did 500 miles in it over the weekend though and its 'bodged' together. wiring is a complete mess, just slapped in anywhere it would fit, the bay even still has the 1.2 spi loom in. back apart next week to tidy it all up, pulled a 15.1 though, not bad for my first time at PVS, i'll deffo be there next year.

Mike
08-06-09, 05:28 PM
Baxter definetly won this!

Altho, my muchos upmost respect this years goes to Ste Porter - fair fcuking play as yuove cobbled together some fecking machine there mate!

EDIT: Anyone else decide to have a nice high speed off road excursion in the mud, just because you can? Or am i alone on that?

AlanH
08-06-09, 05:46 PM
as above, porters car is feckin awesome. spoke to him for as bit before he left, top lad as well. i took the mrs. corsa and ragged it round the field for a bit, will u/l the pics when i get 5, it was a mess

CoolTiger
08-06-09, 06:02 PM
erm well it started on the way up stalling when coasting upto juction with clutch in

also exhaust started ****ting the heatshield on the way back most annoying last 50miles of my life

ste porter
08-06-09, 06:29 PM
my clutch is now virtualy non existant under any form of boost

thanks for that mike and alan ect bare in mind it was still in pieces sorting oil leaks ect 3am friday morn

paul i had to let of at about 90 mph in mine as it shook that much i couldnt see and the back end started to slide out turned out it was a lump of muddy clay the size of your fist on my back wheel the wheel wash had missed removed that and it was fine but it cost me 2 of 4 runs sat to work it out

Spudly
08-06-09, 06:32 PM
Glad it was only that though ste as i was told youd bent a mount launching it on the first run:eek:

scott.parker
08-06-09, 06:40 PM
Well found out today the CV boot had a PIN HOLE size hole in it, and i had managed to fling almost all the CV grease out onto my inner arch/brake disk/and inside the nearside wheel, leaving quite a mess!

The lads at the garage said it's a strange one, they have never seen a tinny hole like it before! lol

So..thats that sorted, just need to clean all the **** from it.

And i have now found i have a fuel leak, it's the tank i think, possibly a split in the seam?? need to investigate it.

Scott

General Baxter
08-06-09, 06:45 PM
Baxter definetly won this!
hell yes, i had cars beeping and truckers clapping me as they drove past :thumb:lol

it was my epic wheel spin on SOLID suspension lol

Graeme
08-06-09, 06:47 PM
I also suffered with a lump of Pod mud in my wheel. A lot of pngers went past me on the m1/m6, added an hour to my trip time sitting at 55 mph on the way back, but a good show despite the weather, really looking forward to Billing now, a far better show imo

daverobson
08-06-09, 06:52 PM
lost a wheel arch on my corsa lol

scott.parker
08-06-09, 06:56 PM
Please tell me you were not the guy who had cable ties holding a GSi kit onto it?

Benn
08-06-09, 06:57 PM
It worries me theres 7pages of broken cars after afew miles...

General Baxter
08-06-09, 06:58 PM
i went 120ish miles lol

Benn
08-06-09, 06:58 PM
So, you see my point i hope...

General Baxter
08-06-09, 07:01 PM
So, you see my point i hope...

my own fault i broke down, put it blunt, i became a tosser and did a wheel spin, thus resulting in my air flow meter falling off :roll:

scott.parker
08-06-09, 07:03 PM
Here's my point for the thread...

My car has been sat, slowly being worked on for two years, i get it to MOT pass standard, it passed, i had 3 day's to put a few miles on it and find any fault's, this i did, found a few small one's and fixed, but nothing could of prepared me for the drive i made to PV lol it was like driving head on into a hurricane!!

Jay
08-06-09, 07:04 PM
Valve stem oil seals went on saturday ( i think ) Will know whn i get the head off for inspection. Next year i may make it!

Jay.

General Baxter
08-06-09, 07:05 PM
it was like driving head on into a hurricane!!

:eek:

Spudly
08-06-09, 07:06 PM
I liked the way scott just drove past me while i was crawling under my car in a layby about a mile from pod lol

Was only podmud hanging onto my wheel and was sorted and i had an almost wobble free drive home:thumb:

scott.parker
08-06-09, 07:07 PM
The amount of moisture in the cabin was silly (need to sort that, it's the gap from the internal shifter) so i was using god dam tissues to keep de-misting my screen..

scott.parker
08-06-09, 07:08 PM
lol yeah Spud, i thought oh no whats happened!..

Did it sound nice? lol

General Baxter
08-06-09, 07:09 PM
has adam been online yet? lol

Spudly
08-06-09, 07:10 PM
Lol aye she did indeed mate tis a fecking cool car and a credit to the guy who built it:thumb:

Was lucky i had spoken to porter and knew about his mud issuses so i knew it would be that!

General Baxter
08-06-09, 07:11 PM
Was lucky i had spoken to porter and knew about his mud issuses so i knew it would be that!

stevie-p pm'd me this morn after seeing me under my car in a layby,

all i had was a plastic spoon, i had to spoon my arches clean lol

Spudly
08-06-09, 07:13 PM
I had Tim and wudgey behind me so i borrowed a screwdriver from them and scraped it out with that and i was underway again:thumb:

ste porter
08-06-09, 07:13 PM
scott i was in the same boat mate my car had been a bare shell sinse it spat a rod at crimbo started putting shell together 4 weeks ago and engine has been back in and running for 2 weeks max now and in that time i have

smashed and replaced an oil pump
split 3 different sets of oil cooler pipes
half sprayed it
stickered it
fitted another set of mains
fitted another set of rod bolts
had isues everywhere such as crank sensor packing in ect

put it this way 3am friday mornig i pulled the oil pump back of again to try and stop an oil leak and we left here around 1 pm friday
and dont forget i also had 2 cars to clean check over and get ready

so from beeing a completly striped bare shell that has been sat in a shed sinse christmas to running what it did down the strip and that included beeing mot'ed in 2 weeks i dont think i did bad and it even made it home

Lee
08-06-09, 07:48 PM
All i had was a dubious smell coming from the back.

Turned out to be a moist duvet going off lol

General Baxter
08-06-09, 07:49 PM
All i had was a dubious smell coming from the back.

Turned out to be a moist duvet going off lol

have the brown ones, welded them selfs to the rear window ?

Lee
08-06-09, 07:50 PM
Its still draped over my jack lol

Skiddy pants FTW!!

ste porter
08-06-09, 08:04 PM
i cant belive you kept them lee lol

Spudly
08-06-09, 08:05 PM
They best still be on the van at billing lol

Lee
08-06-09, 08:16 PM
They will be clean and on the aerial for Billing :)

General Baxter
08-06-09, 08:16 PM
copy cat lol

Spudly
08-06-09, 08:17 PM
Haha, class any gen on turning them all into png flags then:thumb:

chris gsi
08-06-09, 08:22 PM
my car did the 230 mile trip with no probs just needs a good clean and some more fuel and its good to go again

Jack
08-06-09, 08:47 PM
Its still draped over my jack lol
Excuse me!

Benn
08-06-09, 09:11 PM
my own fault i broke down, put it blunt, i became a tosser and did a wheel spin, thus resulting in my air flow meter falling off :roll:
lol jubliee clip needed maybe...

General Baxter
08-06-09, 09:11 PM
nar lol

Curtoise
08-06-09, 09:24 PM
[quote=jOh yes - will now have to get the pressure washer out to get rid of all the muck![/quote]

LMFAO! if i tried to pressure wash my car, i would be left with a car riddled in holes lol and would proberly uncover hidden rust everywhere

edit: ok fail quote lmao

hendrix
08-06-09, 11:40 PM
HMS diesel of fail ran fine, no probs except the windows get very steamy

Ernie
09-06-09, 08:30 AM
Mine drove to combe went round the track drove back home no probs and no mud.
glad you all had a fun time and i will see you all at Billing.

PS i dont have an arial to put my pants of shame on.
Just have to were them.

chunk@streetrace.co.uk
09-06-09, 08:44 AM
i had two gear box bolts come undone and lost 1 luckly enuf i had a spare in my door pocket lol

Adam
13-06-09, 01:13 AM
has adam been online yet? lol
I iz here :p
Had a nice week away from Stoke.

My nova has done around 1k miles since its mot (it was mot'd 1st June lol )

Only prob i had was as a few people know, the gear linkage clamp bolt being f**ked and slipping at pod, leaving me with random gear selection.

Had a go at sorting it at Pod, it then slipped again on the way from Pod, leaving me with just 3rd and 4th gear 130miles away from Portsmouth :roll:
Had a great time in a m1 standstill pulling off in 3rd gear.

Apart from that my car was sound all week.

Spudly, was it pulled in at that layby on the a45? Nothing bad i hope? I was going to pull over, but had passed the layby before i noticed a few novas parked up...

Scotty-Your nova sounded immense when you passed me on the a45 :cool: :thumb:

Edit-Sorry to bump the thread, but ive missed quite a bit!!! lol

Tommy_nova
13-06-09, 01:35 AM
got near birmingham and some how the bolt that mounts the alternator bracket managed to snap off making the belt go slack lost all power was p issing down my wippers lights and cd player all turned off was a nightmare

scott.parker
13-06-09, 02:08 AM
Adam i was waiting to ask how it sounded as i passed by, cool i would love to here it.

Tommy, that happend in my old shell, the earth strap comes off so you suddenly loose all power, it's **** lol

Adam
13-06-09, 02:17 AM
It sounded f**king awesome mate :cool:
I would of put the boot down and attempted to catch up and do a vid on my cam, but i was stuck in 4th gear at the time lol lol

Tommy_nova
13-06-09, 02:44 AM
lol i know my cd player went off first i was smashing it like come on lol next thing the car was having a fit lol not good..

Adam i was waiting to ask how it sounded as i passed by, cool i would love to here it.

Tommy, that happend in my old shell, the earth strap comes off so you suddenly loose all power, it's **** lol

Ernie
13-06-09, 08:11 AM
whats a cd player ?
Come to think of it what is a stereo as aint got one of them either lol.