PDA

View Full Version : 16sv into nova - exhaust help

jimbob-mcgrew
08-06-09, 01:55 AM
putting a 1.6 carb engine in the nova from an old astra.
ive got the 1.6sv 4 to 2 manifold, and the 2 to 1 twin downpipe (male ended).
will a 1.4 sr centre section and back box link up to this and fit as normal ?

im gonna be trial running it on the 1.2 to make sure its all good before the engine transplant.

AlexW
08-06-09, 10:48 AM
1.4 centre. Will fit the 1.2 rear section too.

jimbob-mcgrew
08-06-09, 12:24 PM
.... :wall:

novaluxeplus
08-06-09, 03:36 PM
I Just Cut The Flange Off 1600 Front Pipe And Welded It Up To Standard Exhaust Figure If Its Too Rattly Then Will Clash A Flexi In It

AlexW
08-06-09, 04:15 PM
Why cause yourself so much hassle? If you have to weld the exhaust it will just rot out again....

novaluxeplus
08-06-09, 05:08 PM
Just Seemed The Quickest Thing To Do At The Time Lol

jimbob-mcgrew
08-06-09, 11:50 PM
im not doing that again, my current exhaust has 5 welds along it, and was maximum hassle to bodge in, and its crap, blows like a beast and knocks now and then, plus the rear silencer hangs low on cable ties and is kinda on its side.

anyone got a link to any part numbers ? so i can see if the 16SV manifold and downpipe is the same as the 14NV.

+ rep to any help, need to get this sorted by this weekend, so i can dump the engine in the following week :thumb:

Leeboo
08-06-09, 11:59 PM
I wonder would it be worth your while contacting an exhaust place and asking if the SR and 16sv manifold and downpipes cross referance.

I'd be fairly confident that they are the same but mine didn't come with original manifold so I can't confirm.

The mk 2 came with same exhaust setup as an SR.

mk2 astra 13S I'm talking about ^^

AlexW
09-06-09, 12:01 AM
Il check EPC tomorrow. Problery different numbers but meh.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-06-09, 12:07 AM
that right leeboo ? fingers-crossed, might be in luck in that case

whats EPC alex ?

Leeboo
09-06-09, 12:15 AM
Yeah.... see... the 13S and 16sv are identical externally (except dizzys if they differ from lump to lump), so thats what I'm going on. The mk2 astra 1300 came with the same front exhaust setup as a 1300 nova sr, so thats what makes me think they would be the same.

I'd be very surprised if they were different tbh.

EPC - Electronic Parts Catalogue

jimbob-mcgrew
16-06-09, 11:15 PM
dirty bitch didnt fit !

spent a fcuking hour hammering the ****e out of my current exhaust getting the bent to buggery thing out from underneath, then an asshole job getting 8 corroded manifold nuts out, that half were hidden behind the 4 branch making them nice and easy.

i spent some time and care prepping the 16SV manifold and twin downpipe with gaskets and a coupla new nuts/bolts. got that in all good, then put in the other 3 pieces of 1.4 nova pipe that ive just bought, and the filthy mc'nasty front section that mates to the downpipe doesnt match ! the length is perfect and the connection type is right, but the angle of the 1.4 exhaust isnt prominent enough to line up, unless i was going for the side-exit no silencer look.

has anyone got any pictures of a 1.3 or 1.6 twin downpipe connection ?
the pipe i have is oh-so close, but the one im after needs an extra 20 ish degrees bend in it, muchos appreciation to any help :thumb:

Leeboo
16-06-09, 11:57 PM
Ohhh man, bad crisps.

What exactly you looking a pic of? Maybe I could sort you a pic 2moz.

Sloth
17-06-09, 12:07 AM
id say cut a wedge from the pipe and re weld it at more of an angle.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 12:27 AM
be great if u could leeboo. a coupla pics from different angles of the connection where the twin downpipe comes into 1 and joins to the centre section pipe, roughly underneath, kinda right below the carb.

the centre section im after i need one with a tighter turn on it, or failing everything, i could get a 1.4 downpipe to join it together.... if that'l fit i dunno lol

sloth u cowboy lol

Leeboo
17-06-09, 12:35 AM
Well, I've got an sr twindownpipe setup lying by itself in the garage, and I have a 4 branch which is fitted to my Nova... so maybe I can't get the pic you are after...

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 12:48 AM
lol poo

Sloth
17-06-09, 12:57 AM
oh get cutting. itlll be fine...

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 02:56 PM
no welder for that anyhow :(

AlexW
17-06-09, 03:06 PM
do like ive done, buy a ebay flexi for £12 (a clamp on one), pocket 2 clamps from the scrappy and cut off the downpipe flange and the centre section flange and a bit extra and slot the flexi in.

Not a bodge eather.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 03:18 PM
that flexi hose doesnt like to flex really
they need to call it not-so-flexi-hose

novaluxeplus
17-06-09, 03:47 PM
mine has held up great by just cutting the flanges off and welding it together

AlexW
17-06-09, 04:36 PM
I dont mean it as just using it as a flexi, but to go around the join problem, mine was the same.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-06-09, 09:42 PM
the angle of my exhaust would be too much for a flexi, it'l prob be under alot of strain even just on there, let alone with the engine lunging back and forth from heavy throttle and brake.

im gonna take the 1.4 centre piece back and see if i can swap it for the right one, might be 1.3 or 1.6 instead.

edit :

i may attempt to cut my bodge job exhaust down an inch or two and try slotting the centre silencer and rear silencer on what ive got allready, if i can get something reliable from that, that doesnt blow, knock and bang, then ill prob just take back the front section piece of pipe for a refund and continue to use the bodged up 4 branch.