PDA

View Full Version : sticky handbrakes.

gavint5
07-06-09, 11:18 PM
ive never been in a corsa or a nova that had a nice handbrake on it.

have any of you?

ive found the points on the axle where the cable pivots gets gunked up with all the crap of the road and the cable corrodes and starts to jam on there. the only time ive known a handbrake to work propperly ws for a few days after cleaning this area up and greasing it but then it went back to its old self.

has anyone ever made any modifications to fix this problem? anyone got any ideas?

Guderian
08-06-09, 08:53 AM
I approach this the same way you have- clean all the mud off then apply some LM grease. a) at 6monthly service and b) whenever the back wheels have to come off for any other reason! Nowt else you can realistically do!

A big glob of Castrol LM Grease will stick well and provide a bit of slip until the next time. I did contemplate moly grease (driveshaft and uj type) but i don't think it would stay on there as well.

George g
08-06-09, 12:45 PM
you thought of trying to fabricate some protection for it from thin plastic or something? :confused:

craig green
08-06-09, 12:49 PM
I had an awesome handbrake on the old 1200 luxe++. But otherwise they always feel pants. Now I have discs I bites a lot better but the disc ones dont lock with the positivity you get on the nova drums..