PDA

View Full Version : GTE Driveshafts v Standard

dstevenson
07-06-09, 06:54 PM
Hope you can clear up a bit of confusion for me here :confused:

Can complete GTE shafts/cv's be swoped with standard ones i.e are the inner/outer cvs the same to fit a F13 box and standard hubs or what would I need to change?

Also, any opinions as to whether the gte shafts are stronger/better?

This is for a rally nova being built with X14XE, F13 CR box with HHMS diff and want to have strongest shafts/cv's without spending big cash on proper motorsport items. I was wondering if the gte shafts are any better than standard and thus a good way to go :thumb:

John
07-06-09, 06:58 PM
yep the 28 spline shafts will fit into the f13. as you're probably aware, some of the gte;s had 22 spline (inner cv) shafts. I've seen some let boys run 22 spline shafts, and also some track boys run them too, in 200bhp+ xe's, so i reckon they'll probably be ok in your rally car. If you can get the 22 spline shafts, i'd fit them over the 28 spline shafts.

dstevenson
07-06-09, 07:09 PM
John, thanks for that.

Thought that was the case, so standard gte 22 spline shafts with matching inner and outer cv's will fit the F13 and the standard hubs then, sounds like the way to go right enough.

Iain
07-06-09, 07:10 PM
^ Surely that's not a fair comparison as you can't run the standard 28 spline ones with XEs?
(Not having a go, just saying!)

John
07-06-09, 07:29 PM
^ Surely that's not a fair comparison as you can't run the standard 28 spline ones with XEs?
(Not having a go, just saying!)

Surely what's not a fair comparison? I'm guessing 28 spine shafts wouldn't last as long as 22, sounds to reason, less splines - more surface area contact surely?

mowgli
07-06-09, 07:35 PM
in agriculture, small tractors have 6 spline power take off (pto) shafts running at 540rpm
to transmit more power on a pto shaft, they use 21splines running at 1000rpm.

i think the no. of splines on a nova is a red herring, cos the outer cv joints are the same.......

dstevenson
07-06-09, 07:39 PM
Surely what's not a fair comparison? I'm guessing 28 spine shafts wouldn't last as long as 22, sounds to reason, less splines - more surface area contact surely?

That was my reasoning as well as I presumed they were different in the gte for some power/strength reason, hence the question to confirm if they would fit without other mods.

mowgli
07-06-09, 07:46 PM
i've had 1.0 & 1.2 shafts fitted with a e16se engine & had no reliability problems... but a rally car will kill them simply because of the extra stress on shafts from competition use.

Iain
07-06-09, 08:27 PM

Saying a 22 spline shaft is stronger than a 28 spline shaft based only on the fact that XE Novas don't break them is unfair, as nobody has run a 28 spline shaft on an XE Nova. :)

John
07-06-09, 08:44 PM
Saying a 22 spline shaft is stronger than a 28 spline shaft based only on the fact that XE Novas don't break them is unfair, as nobody has run a 28 spline shaft on an XE Nova. :)

My mate can break 28 splines easily on an x16xe nova.:) Never had any problems since fitting 22 splines. that what i base my "comparison" on.

numptysport1
07-06-09, 08:57 PM
I run a 1400 nova for ten years on standard shafts , and never actully broke a shaft , but used to break the cv joint on the short shaft . so got good engine mounts made and never had any more bother , you are better using second hand geniune one's rather than new pattern ones .