PDA

View Full Version : handbrake improvement

nova_pipi
07-06-09, 02:45 PM
does anyone know how to make the handbrake work better e.g i pull a small bit and the back wheels grip and lock lol iv tried new rear brake shoes and fully winding the handbrake ting on the rear beam but when i pull the handbrake it sometimes struggles to grip even on a hill :( thenks phil

deanwilko
07-06-09, 02:49 PM
cables stretched?

nova_pipi
07-06-09, 02:50 PM
cables stretched?

it probly be that, do you know how much new ones are and would the brake grip then?

deanwilko
07-06-09, 02:51 PM
you have adjusted the back breaks up

nova_pipi
07-06-09, 02:53 PM
ye when i adjusted so they would be closer to the drum the wheel didnt spin freely any more

deanwilko
07-06-09, 02:55 PM
on the adjuster inside the drum?

jimbob-mcgrew
07-06-09, 03:12 PM
i find they work best when the cables on the rear beam are setup first, then fine tuned on the inside of the drum. when i set mine up originally, the car held on a semi-steep hill with just 1 click, now its 2 clicks due to wear.
your not missing one of the little circlips that hold the handbrake cable inside the drum are you ? or one of the rear wheel cyclinders leaking ?

mowgli
07-06-09, 04:40 PM
i find they work best when the cables on the rear beam are setup first, then fine tuned on the inside of the drum. when i set mine up originally, the car held on a semi-steep hill with just 1 click, now its 2 clicks due to wear.
your not missing one of the little circlips that hold the handbrake cable inside the drum are you ? or one of the rear wheel cyclinders leaking ?

you must never, ever set up the handbrake first......... ever!!!!!!!!!! all you are doing is hiding the fact that the back brakes are not up to scratch.

the procedure is simple.

1. make sure there isn't a wear lip on the drums. if there is, then get new ones.
2. dismantle the adjuster mechanisms, clean them & then copper grease them.
3. then reassemble the brakes, making sure that the shoes are only just rubbing on the drums.
4. then pump on the foot brake a good few times to make all the internals have settled.
5. now adjust the handbrake, which should have an amount of freeplay, followed by about 3 or 4 clicks to get it locked solid.

jimbob-mcgrew
07-06-09, 05:45 PM
^ thats exactly how i did it ?

altho i didnt replace the drums, i emery clothed the lips down.

nova_pipi
07-06-09, 06:25 PM
i just had a quick look at everything and im going to get a new handbrake cable in the morning and fit that but also in the left drum the little return spring on the bottom of the shoes had snapped from rust can you buy them new do you know?

mowgli
07-06-09, 06:50 PM
i just had a quick look at everything and im going to get a new handbrake cable in the morning and fit that but also in the left drum the little return spring on the bottom of the shoes had snapped from rust can you buy them new do you know?

yes, just order a brake spring kit.

nova_pipi
07-06-09, 06:56 PM
o rite cool thanks, do you know where i can get it from? :D

gavint5
07-06-09, 11:13 PM
all your regular parts shops and they will probably have them on the shelf. partco, lucas, ATS, BMF Group or halfords even but they'll not have on the shelf.