PDA

View Full Version : bike carbs

kennyman1989
07-06-09, 10:15 AM
im looking at doing this to my 1.3 project. anyone got any contacts or information on how to do this ive seen the article in tv where bogg brothers done it but i heard they have since raised there prices on this kind of conversion. Also im thinking of putting a 1.2 head on the 1.3 bottom end, would i use the 1.2 cam or the 1.3 cam if i was going to do this? Also would i need a special head gasket for this?

mowgli
07-06-09, 10:33 AM
the 1.3 head is the same as the 1.2 head, so don't bother with swapping..... if you have the coin, maybe get it ported.

you need to get something like a nova sport spec cam to make it worth while, and from what other people say, bogg bros take ages to supply, you might be better off getting a twin 40 setup and the std head gasket will be fine.

kennyman1989
07-06-09, 10:39 AM
already thought about that, got mugged by some bastid on here for a twin 40 set up, bought a manifold of fleebay and its square port :( so means thats up for sale whilst i contemplate where to go from here.

matt_vaughan
07-06-09, 06:04 PM
Bike carbs are actually relatively easy conversion to do mate. I've been looking at doing it for aaaageeesss just the dollar hasnt been available quite yet.

Once I manage to get stuff together I'll post an article.

Few points to note though.

Use the 1.3 cam, Velos had an extra 5hp from a 1.2 by using a 1.3 cam, so there's obvious differences there. If you can though, to keep up with the bike carbs and make full use of them a hot cam (Fast Road pref) would be a good idea....much like when using twin 40s.

As far as what bike carbs to go for the list is endless. We've seen R1 carbs work well, and they're very tunable, but expensive now because everyone's cottoning on to the bike carb idea. I've been looking at something like CBR600 or Fireblade 900 carbs for donors for mine, the price is cheap and they'll need less fettling to work well on smaller engines than the R1 carbs, which can be used on well "redtops" for example.

PN NOVABIKECARBED about Bogg Brothers, he has a mixed view of them :D

Other than that it's pretty simple...apart from getting a manifold. Making one up to get you going maybe a good idea.