PDA

View Full Version : how to clean xe tappets

turbo-boy
06-06-09, 12:43 AM
hello i have heard of a mod to clean redtop tappets as mine is very noise.can this be done?

brainsnova
06-06-09, 12:47 AM
i got told to use diesel but dont quote me on that.

scott.parker
06-06-09, 09:37 AM
XE tappets are all noisy, never heard of a way to clean them to stop it??

Adam
06-06-09, 10:29 AM
Mine aint noisy.

I removed them from the head, sprayed carb cleaner through them, then dipped them in clean engine oil. They were noisy for 20secs then quietened down and now are silent.

skidmarkz
06-06-09, 11:21 AM
i left mine in a tub of petrol, air line blown through, carb cleaner, oiled, never made a noise since :)

sunnyjim
09-06-09, 09:24 AM
av gone thorugh two sets of non genuine tappets, lasted about a week then got noisy as hell when the engine gets warm. Been told these non gen ones never last n should always buy gm ones.

skidmarkz
09-06-09, 09:47 AM
i dont use any engine parts that are not GM or better :) not worth it, saves money at first but costs more whne it goes POP and it is a WHEN with non genuine stuff...

Will F
09-06-09, 04:05 PM
non-gen tappits are absolute scrap. They are truly awful and literally either tap as soon as you fit them, or within a few days.

If your engine is tappy (should only be when cold) either a) ignore it or b) get genuine ones (£16 ea).

You cant 'clean' them - they are worn, not 'dirty'!

mayhem
09-06-09, 04:15 PM
ebay tappets suck.

you can clean them, but if there worn, cleaning wont help ;)

there's a guy here who rebuilds them for about a ?8 each.

yayoboy
09-06-09, 07:19 PM
i after a set now, what/where are the best ones to get, spoke to vauxhall today, they say £21 each!

skidmarkz
09-06-09, 08:23 PM
SBD, full set of GM ones are £200 iirc

Graeme
09-06-09, 08:25 PM
I got mine from Autovaux, would only ever use genuine ones

mowgli
09-06-09, 09:12 PM
are they the same sort of design as 8v ones?????

if so, then you can easily take them apart, clean them with oven cleaner & put them back together.....

what oil are you using????

joff-turbo-nova
10-06-09, 03:19 PM
are they the same sort of design as 8v ones?????

if so, then you can easily take them apart, clean them with oven cleaner & put them back together.....

what oil are you using????

No they are different - they look like a small round paperweight - not like the longer 8v ones.

I wonder how much they are on Tradeclub??

Joff

tom reid
10-06-09, 04:43 PM
Cleaning always helps, I soak them in clean thinners for a day, then strip them down, not always possible though as the plunger won't always come out, so soak for some more time, clean the parts in new thinners, dry off and rebuild, has'nt failed yet, Iv'e never used new ones from ebay.