PDA

View Full Version : Cant select a gear when running?

hc coupe
05-06-09, 08:39 PM
Hello,
Right, when the engine is turned off I can freely select a gear, however when the engine is running it doesn't want to engage any gears.
If I put it in gear with the engine off it works fine, and I am able to drive in that gear once the engine is turned on, although again, I can't select another gear?
I hope its an easy fix. I know I fiddled around with the clutch cable as its been slack for about 6 months whilst it hasn't been used ? have I not tightened it enough/too much?
Any idea's
Thank you ever so much , and yes I'm new to this lol

Tom

Will F
05-06-09, 08:42 PM
clutch-related. have you just fitted one or something?

John
05-06-09, 08:44 PM
Yeah, i'm with Will, if it's been stood for ages, i'd say the friction plate has bedded it's self to the fly/pressure plate.

hc coupe
05-06-09, 08:46 PM
No, I've just semi finished an engine conversion and all I need to do is get it to select a gear.

The box hasn't been separated since it came out of the car I bought it from ?
When the clutch is in , it will stop it from stalling when in gear

Pistol Pete
05-06-09, 08:52 PM
Sounds clutch/gearbox related to me.

Yeah, i'm with Will, if it's been stood for ages, i'd say the friction plate has bedded it's self to the fly/pressure plate.

Maybe keep your foot on the pedal, and the heat will seperate them?

hc coupe
05-06-09, 08:55 PM
Right, Well thank you all so far for all the comments. Just a kick in the ribs as its so close to getting done !.

Cheers + rep given out also

Any other theory’s to resolve my problem ?

Tom

tom reid
05-06-09, 09:51 PM
Centre plate is stuck to flywheel or you have insuffiencent clearance.
Try towing the car in third gear with the gear selected before you move off, it should chug a bit and then free itself, may take a couple of goes.
Or it may just need correct adjustment
hth

NovaBoi92
05-06-09, 09:57 PM
clutch may not be disengaging the full way when you press the clutch pedal down. might be worn clutch, slipping maybe? and you dont want too much slack on the cable, about 2mm at the fork is what you want

Pistol Pete
06-06-09, 11:29 AM
What engine/gearbox is it? If its an F20, whip out the input shaft, drop the clutch (and maybe the flywheel?) out and inspect it?

napalm_27
06-06-09, 11:31 AM
erm more like the linkage needs sorting out and re-aligning

skidmarkz
06-06-09, 11:35 AM
erm more like the linkage needs sorting out and re-aligning

Edit beat me to it ....

napalm_27
06-06-09, 11:38 AM
Edit beat me to it ....

lol

the clutch wont stop it selecting gears it will stop it from going into gear

i.e if you cant find it grind it :thumb:

(im reading this and it makes me sound stupid but i now what i mean lol)

AlexW
06-06-09, 01:26 PM
What engine/gearbox is it? If its an F20, whip out the input shaft, drop the clutch (and maybe the flywheel?) out and inspect it?

Its a smallblock, F15 box i presume.

But yer, seeing as you have never split the box/engine id inspect the clutch just for piece of mind.

TBH i cant see it being the linkage due to being able to select gears when engine off.

skidmarkz
06-06-09, 02:34 PM
Its a smallblock, F15 box i presume.

But yer, seeing as you have never split the box/engine id inspect the clutch just for piece of mind.

TBH i cant see it being the linkage due to being able to select gears when engine off.

how does he know he is selecting gears? it could just be turret noise?...

stick it in 2nd gear with the engine off.. start it up with your foot on the clutch see what happens.. i wouldnt be parked to close to anything lol...

lift ya clutch slowly, if it jumps u got A gear, if it does fookall sort ya gear linkage out!

if it wont start and just trys to jump forward, sort ya clutch or cable tension out...

"i take no responsabilty if you end up parked in your house or garage" lol

AlexW
06-06-09, 02:50 PM
True! But usualy you can tell when your in a gear, might not know Which gear though lol

hc coupe
08-06-09, 10:52 AM
Well I played about with it over the weekend and it seems to be ok now. I did the gear-linkage again and tightened up the clutch cable and it seems to have done the trick.

I did get into a flap when I couldn't find fifth, but I remembered I'm still using the 4 speed stick lol

Thanks for all your help

Tom