PDA

View Full Version : carb or injection for 1.6?

Neil.
06-02-03, 01:43 AM
Got a 1.6 astra engine put in, for means times it's running on the original 1.2 injection system, do i have
:arrow: bigger injection system
:arrow: 32/34 webber
:arrow: twin 40's
put on?

Tazzy
06-02-03, 03:33 AM
whatever you can afford that will give the best gain!

Aragorn
06-02-03, 08:32 AM
i think it really depends on what your wanting from the car

injection will be costly cos u will need the entire top end from a GTE as well as a GTE exhaust system

weber 32/34 is not too bad an option but u'd still need to work out all the ignition wiring

the twin 40's are expensiev to buy and setup as well as being a bit heavier on the gas, u will also need a better exhaust system to make the most of them

the injection will be the most reliable once its setup and running

the carbs will be less reliable in cold starts n shit and prolly heavier on the gas too

MC
06-02-03, 09:23 AM
Another myth! Carbs (40's) start first time every time with a few blips of the throttle. There is so much air and fuel going in, they can't fail to start.

Out of your options I would always pick 40's as they will be unbeatabl;e performance wise. Look out for second hand stuff.

Tell us your budget.

MC

Aragorn
06-02-03, 10:35 AM
ok then i'll go with u on this one

but the 40's will still be more hungry and will also cost quite a bit to get properly set up as the engine he has is unlike the SR or GTE lumps that most nova 40's come from

since uve got a 1600 astra engine i think that uses the cathedral ported head so if u got a twin40 set and manifold for a 1300 i'd expect it to mate up correctly

you will also need to source some other igition system possibly from a 1400SR as they are about the most powerful without going to full ECU controlled ignitioni