PDA

View Full Version : damded stupid novas lol

novaluxeplus
05-06-09, 09:20 AM
put a 16sv in my nova at the weekend and firstly couldnt get a spark because new dizzy had 3 wires old had 2 lol
then swapped cams over so could run old dizzy now it runs but very very poorly i maybe kinda dropped the dizzy on the floor a few times like this could be the problem lol.
it sounds like its missing an awful lot

AlexW
05-06-09, 01:48 PM
What cam did you put into it? didnt you put a 1.2 cam in it?

jimbob-mcgrew
05-06-09, 02:50 PM
i maybe kinda dropped the dizzy on the floor a few times

lol

novaluxeplus
05-06-09, 03:00 PM
yeah put the 1.2 cam in it so could run the 2 wire dizzy
but misses a whole hell of a lot lol
i need either a 16 cam with slot drive dizzy or a 16 cam with peg drive dizzy that has 2 wires

novaluxeplus
05-06-09, 03:06 PM
oh just thought is there any way to wire up the 3 pin plug that is on the dizzy to a 2 wire wiring harnes??

AlexW
05-06-09, 03:06 PM
I doubt your find a 1.6 cam with slot drive, or a peg drive dizzy unless you buy a 1.4 SR complete setup (about £50 for the whole lot!)

I still dont get what you mean about that tho!

novaluxeplus
05-06-09, 03:21 PM
k i got the 16sv but only got the dizzy with it no wires or anything so was getting no spark( as my nova has only 2 wires going into dizzy and the 1600 has three)
so i put my 1200 cam in so that i could run my old dizzy as 1600 cam is peg drive and 1200 dizzy is slot
now have 1200 dizzy and cam and it runs but not great i thinking that dizzy is broke as i mentioned it dropped a few times lol
car is missing its brains out and have been able to get about 30mph from it lol

so if i could either find a way to wire in the 3 wire dizzy and use origional cam or get another cam that will run a 2 wire dizzy or indeed a 2 wire dizzy that will run on the 1600 peg drive cam that came with the engine.

sorry if being a bit confuzziling lol

novaluxeplus
05-06-09, 03:25 PM
ha i work in a scrap yard and my car is here for safeish keeping i just moved it very carefully wit the fork lift and im ashamed to say i was in two minds of what to do with it one was put it in the bottom corner out the way, the other well its too nasty to speak of lol

jimbob-mcgrew
05-06-09, 03:26 PM
look into the wiring, to see what u can do about that, might be an easy fix.

if not, yeh, like aw06 said, a 1.4 carb dizzy has pin drive that should work with the 1.6 cam.
if you buy one to use, you'll need the coil and mini wiring loom with it to connect it all together.

prob not a good idea to run it too much as it is with the 1.2 cam in, its probably underfueling quite badly making it run lean, which makes it run hot.
out of curiostiy does it run better with the choke on ? ahh its auto choke aint it, bah. re-phrase that... does it run better when its cold ?

novaluxeplus
05-06-09, 03:36 PM
do you know if the 1.4 carb dizzy has the multi plug on it or just the 2 wires black and red??
it dont run good at all i not moving it much lol

jimbob-mcgrew
05-06-09, 10:33 PM
the 1.4 dizzys different, it doesnt have any wires coming from it, it has a 2 pin connecter on it, that the mini coil loom attaches to it via the coil. everything links together with the mini loom, and at the bare wires end of the loom you have 3 wires : black, brown and green, black being positive in for the coil, which u can connect the original 1.2 coil wire, also a black. the brown, you just have to give it a good earth nearby in the bay , and the green is not essential for running, its goes to the back of the clocks for the rev gauge.

just had a thought, wouldnt it be easier to source a 16sv coil for it ? it would complete the original setup.

novaluxeplus
06-06-09, 11:56 AM
would a 1.6 gte dizzy work??
the problem im having with the dizzys is that my nova loom has only 2 wires black and red that go from the dizzy to the coil.

novaluxeplus
06-06-09, 11:57 AM
ah ha i just thought of something it will prob not work like but worth a try lol
some astras in the scrappies i work at have a dizzy which has no plug at all or any wires on it would that work??

brainsnova
06-06-09, 12:15 PM
next time when you rob an engine from the scrappies get the whole sha bang :thumb:

novaluxeplus
06-06-09, 01:18 PM
Ha Ha I Think That Could Be A Good Idea Lol I Just Figured Going From Carbed To Carbed Would Be Drop In And Go Lol

AlexW
06-06-09, 01:28 PM
You dont get it do you.

Your have to use one WHOLE setup, not bits and bobs from one or the other.

Im not going to read this thread again as it sounds you dont know what your talking about.

Leeboo
06-06-09, 03:15 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong... but the 16sv carb engines are (should be) slot drive... same as 1.2 carb and 13sr.

If I remember correctly the 1.3 carb and 1.6 carb cams are the same.

I had a 16sv in my Nova for a while and it had slot drive cam with black delco dizzy, same as 1.2 carb and 1300. Same wiring as my 1.2

jimbob-mcgrew
07-06-09, 03:33 PM
interesting leeboo, guess they had different setups, speak of the devil, ive just aquired a 16sv myself. its got the smaller red cap dizzy like on the 1.4's, but ill put it off later and see what its saying underneath. fairly sure my particular cam's pin drive tho. but will confirm it.

novaluxeplus, theres a picture on here somewhere of the setup youll need, ill try find it for you and put it up with next post. will give u a better understanding of the setup.

novaluxeplus
08-06-09, 12:31 PM
thanks very much for the help
i have just sold my old shell to a guy who rallys them and i asked him too so he gave me a 1600 cam that is slot drive now just need to get a new dizzy as mine is buggered what an awkward engine change lol

thanks alot for the help

Leeboo
08-06-09, 02:16 PM
thanks very much for the help
i have just sold my old shell to a guy who rallys them and i asked him too so he gave me a 1600 cam that is slot drive now just need to get a new dizzy as mine is buggered what an awkward engine change lol

thanks alot for the help

Thats a weird one.. definately.

I originally had a 1.0 in my last Nova... had to swap some electrical fittings for starter etc when converting to 1300 but that was it...... then when I put in the 16sv it was just a completely straight swap from the 13S.

My 13S and 16SV engines were exactly the same externally. I guess some came with orange bosch dizzy etc.

novaluxeplus
08-06-09, 02:34 PM
Yeah If It Had Come With The Black Dizzy Would Have Been A Simple Thing Lol
I Think I Just May Take Briansnova's Advice And Get Everything Next Time Lol.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-06-09, 12:15 AM
took me longer than expected, but here's the picture of the 1.4 ignition system i said i'd post:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM1509.jpg

u see on the bare wires end, black, brown and green.
black links to your existing black (coil voltage in)
brown you just need to give it a decent earth.
green is for rev gauge, wired up to the clocks.

u can see from the setup how it works, theres a little module thing under the coil that everything goes thru and the mini loom branches off to the coil and dizzy from there.

bit of luck you can find something similar in the scrap yard u work at :thumb:

novaluxeplus
09-06-09, 10:30 AM
funking great mate thats a 1400 spi or mpi??
that has really sorted it all out for me

+ rep

Riggy
09-06-09, 10:53 AM
and having the wrong cam in isnt goin to do you any favours neither ,

but i have a 1.4 sr dizzy , and coil setup which i could sell if you need it

novaluxeplus
09-06-09, 11:22 AM
got hold of a 1600 slot drive cam now it slot and pin so will run on my old set up but id rather have the proper set up for it still

jimbob-mcgrew
09-06-09, 11:36 PM
that a 1400 spi or mpi ?

neither mate, that ignition setups from a 1.4 SR carb.

you might find that only a slot dizzy will go in that slot and pin cam, my 1.2 cams got slot and pin, but the pin drive dizzy kinda slots thru the centre of the cam aswel as slotting in the pin, and on the 1.2 cam, theres a bearing end at the centre of the end where the dizzy connects, and the pin drive dizzy hits this bearing end, where as on the propper pin drive cams theres a clear hole in the centre for the dizzy to guide thru. i wonder if you can get round this with a different cam carrier or bearing placement ? hmmm...

where did u find that slot drive 1.6 cam ? its not from an injection is it ? cos youll need a carb item if u want to run the mechanical pump to feed the fuel.

you on msn btw mate ? cos ill have a bunch of questions for you next week or week after when i fit my 16sv in :p

novaluxeplus
10-06-09, 09:15 AM
yeah is from a 16 spi but there is still a lobe to run the pump and i took a pipe off to check it still pumped fuel and it does pump plenty.

i know ebay is not gospel but i checked and some one has a new 1600 cam and it lists it as for the 16 sv and the 16i engine

oh if the pin and slot cam cant run pin dizzy i will maybe keep hold of my original cam lol

jimbob-mcgrew
10-06-09, 12:12 PM
yeah is from a 16 spi but there is still a lobe to run the pump and i took a pipe off to check it still pumped fuel and it does pump plenty.

i know ebay is not gospel but i checked and some one has a new 1600 cam and it lists it as for the 16 sv and the 16i engine

oh if the pin and slot cam cant run pin dizzy i will maybe keep hold of my original cam lol

goodstuff :thumb: should all work pukka with that

novaluxeplus
10-06-09, 12:17 PM
Ah Ha It Has Started Up And Revs Up Nice Just Need To Put Radiator Fan On It Now And Is Ready