PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Help!

nova_saloon
05-06-09, 01:13 AM
I was using my 1.3sr radiator with my 2.0l Redtop in it and had the fan on a switch so i never let it get anywhere near overheating until i got the 1.6 one. But now i have swapped it over its all great and that until you go on the motorway. When keeping steady at maybe 80-90mph the temp gauge heats up till nearly the three quarter mark and i have to switch on the fan while on the motorwayand leave it on. i know it was hot today, but i wouldnt of thought that would mattered to much. is this common or is there something i should do? (and it did it with the 1.3 radiator)

AlexW
05-06-09, 01:20 AM
Hmmm No coolant loss? No airlocks?

Dont sound like HG so your safe lol for now.

Adam
05-06-09, 07:07 AM
Theres something wrong with it.
Pipes blocked, big airlock or something.

You should never need the fan turned on when driving tbh

Ernie
05-06-09, 07:32 AM
I got all the way home with the 1.3 rad in my xe'd track car and didnt turn the fan on once.
it didnt even get warm when a hose split at the services.
good baodging by me and Rj.
All the prep work to stop boiling water only for none to come out.
Class.

mikey14sr
05-06-09, 07:57 AM
At that speed even with air temp in the high 20's the gauge shouldn't have really got past half-way.

The only time I've ever seen a nova temp gauge that high at that speed was when I blew the head gasket on my old 1300 engine, and proceeded to boil the oil and crack the block.

nova_saloon
05-06-09, 03:50 PM
yeh thr old radiator was fine aswell but did it when driving st high speeds. not sure about an airlock but no leaks, level stays the same! i though it was a seld bleeding system? if not how do you bleed it, and could the water tank be to low maybe, or try some engine flush or the thermostat could not be fully opening!

craig green
05-06-09, 04:28 PM
I'd say the gauge over reads tbh. Try another sender to rule it out maybe?

Get a decent (new) rad in there aswell, ASAP

Adam
05-06-09, 06:22 PM
My fan comes on half way on the gauge, and it sits about on the first white mark when driving.

nova_saloon
05-06-09, 10:00 PM
My fan comes on half way on the gauge, and it sits about on the first white mark when driving.

fair enuff but common problem with the xe engine is that the temp sender unit sits close to the exhaust and cooks it, ive been through 2 :( the signal goes weak for a bit then it just cuts out eventually or twitches.