PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Horn!

Nova_Tek
04-06-09, 06:27 PM
I have twin wind horns fitted on the Nova (taken from a MK3 Cav). The horns sound lazy i.e. when I go to quickly beep the horn, it doesnt instantly beep, its more of a gradual sound. To actually get the full power of the horn it has to be held down slightly longer.

Put it simply, My Bros MK3 facelift Cav with the same horn will blast the horn even if you tap it for a split second, full power in an instant. Same with the wifes yaris, it has a single tone metal horn but soon as you press the horn button on the steering wheel, its instant at full pelt.

Is this due to a relay being fitted? Should a Nova MK1 have a horn relay fitted?

I had the same issue with the original single tone metal horn, which sounded even lazier lol

Also, when the engine isnt't running but with the ignition on the horn doesn't always sound. The dash lights will dim showing that something is using power, like when you flash high beam with ignition on.

:thumb:

novalicous
04-06-09, 06:43 PM
I had the same problem when i fitted m3 astra horns

did think about wiring them straight to the battery but i just refitted the standard nova ones

Nova_Tek
04-06-09, 06:50 PM
the horns work fine and are loud and do make the car sound less :gay: its just a bit frustrating when you need to sound the horn in situations to let people know not to edge too far out from a side road etc :) where a toot is needed rather then a blast.

I envy my bro, his horn is freaking crazy, scares the shizzle out of everyone lol

novalicous
04-06-09, 07:15 PM
That was the main reason for me fitting the astra horns as they sound more of ""MOVE NOW!!!"" rather than a ""excuse me could you let me through""

lol

mikey14sr
04-06-09, 08:06 PM
The twin horns on my SR were pretty good I thought. Does yours have the extra loom with a relay on the bulkhead? Maybe the relay is worn (they are mechanical afterall), or maybe the contacts on the horns could do with a good cleaning.

AlexW
04-06-09, 08:18 PM
Check the wiring And the relay. Also if you just remove the horn and connect it to the battery, See if its instant or not

Nova_Tek
04-06-09, 08:19 PM
The twin horns on my SR were pretty good I thought. Does yours have the extra loom with a relay on the bulkhead? Maybe the relay is worn (they are mechanical afterall), or maybe the contacts on the horns could do with a good cleaning.

Where abouts on the bulkhead should this relay be? I very much doubt I have one from the way the horn works, If I do then its probably knackered.

The contacts are clean as its pretty much new wiring, took feeds from the original horn connectors to the new horn and also fitted the rubber sleeves to stop muck getting in.

Me thinks this is a relay issue. If it doesn't have a relay then is it possible to retrofit one?

AlexW
04-06-09, 08:21 PM
How is the wiring done?

brainsnova
04-06-09, 08:29 PM
id use the cav relay

Nova_Tek
04-06-09, 08:35 PM
How is the wiring done?

How should it be wired?

id use the cav relay

Might be worth doing that.

Jack
04-06-09, 08:43 PM
Air horns are crap. They'll work fine for a while but eventually go kaput. The compressor usually fails, not before becoming very hungry though (hence dash lights dimming and taking a while to pump enough air to poot)

Spudly
04-06-09, 08:53 PM
Cough, standard cav horn jack, cough*

lol

You will probably need the horn wiring and relay from an early SR to run the horns properly bud!

Nova_Tek
04-06-09, 08:58 PM
^Sounds like a plan mate

Will get myself a relay, I assume the Cav ones or Nova ones should be the same.

Air horns are crap. They'll work fine for a while but eventually go kaput. The compressor usually fails, not before becoming very hungry though (hence dash lights dimming and taking a while to pump enough air to poot)

When you say 'a while' you mean 15 to 20 years? lol

Both our Cavs at home have their original dual wind horns and they work perfectly.

mikey14sr
04-06-09, 11:31 PM
If it had twin-tone horns from the factory or dealer there would be a relay and fuse in front of the battery on the firewall, with wiring going along the drivers side inner wing and accross the slam panel.

Faily simple to recreate, same as wiring in spots or front fogs really. Wires from the original horn go to the switch feed and earth of the relay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/audio/hornrelaycircuit.jpg

Colours are just random on the pic, you don't need a 5-pin relay, a 4-pin will do, fuse should be about 15A iirc.

hendrix
04-06-09, 11:38 PM
these are what you need!!
http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

Nova_Tek
07-06-09, 02:19 PM
Cheers mikey14sr :thumb:

rep given

Guderian
12-06-09, 05:38 PM
sorry to thread dredge.. but...

Most horns have a screw on the back which can be tweaked slightly one way or the other until you get the loudest noise. What with all the vibration and wear and tear they go slightly 'out of tune' over the years and you can bring them back to life if you have a play with them. If this doesn't work then they're worn out.

Need- 12v battery, earplugs, and absent neighbours

jimbob-mcgrew
12-06-09, 10:30 PM
m33p m33p lol

General Baxter
12-06-09, 10:57 PM
these are what you need!!
http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

£212 for the little one delivered in 2 days :thumb: