PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy Problem 1.2

Nutty Nova
04-06-09, 04:15 PM
Hey folks

I have got a terrible missfire on my 1.2 as you reach half throttle.

I think the problem is with the dizzy as the rotor has alot of slack.
Is there any way of making a quick repair to sort it for PV?

As i am abit worried i may not make it if i cant fix the problem.

Thanks

Guderian
04-06-09, 05:30 PM
OK. Is the rotor arm one of those that is supposed to have a spring clip inside it? If so, the absence of this springy piece of metal will make the rotor arm wag around 20 degrees back and forth. Had this happen on a cav once. Cure- new rotor arm.

Also make sure the old springy thing is not floating around inside the distributor as you don't want it getting caught up in the mechanism.

garyc
04-06-09, 06:29 PM
check to see if has jumped a tooth or two on the belt, you will need a decent timing light to do that though.

Nutty Nova
04-06-09, 08:51 PM
I have had a look and the pins are worn on the distributor that the springs mount on.

Could i fit a 1.2i distributor? i know its different but i have one of these spare

mowgli
04-06-09, 08:57 PM
I have had a look and the pins are worn on the distributor that the springs mount on.

Could i fit a 1.2i distributor? i know its different but i have one of these spare

no, the carb one is different. remember, it is about 20 years old. try & find a new one

paddy138
04-06-09, 09:18 PM
shouldnt be too hard to buy new and would be cheap enough also

Nutty Nova
04-06-09, 11:21 PM
i have already ordered another dizzy but hasnt come in time you see.
I have now altered it for the weekend and now runs ok.

The pins have nearly worn through so have just rotated them to sit the spring on the good side which has now made the dizzy less slack and now no missfire.

Happy Days thanks for your help folks