PDA

View Full Version : eroded chrome alloys

Tidy Max
04-06-09, 02:53 PM
yo! chrome lip on some 18s i have is eroding, got all that horrible white bobbly stuff on it, whats the deal with it? and is it repairable/fixable?!

thanks!

jimbob-mcgrew
04-06-09, 03:27 PM
lol, totally off topic, but the word eroded just reminded me of jim carey doing his news report infront of the waterfall in his film bruce almighty when he says "eroding ! like the bedrock of my life !! ERRROOOODDING ERRRROOODIINNG" then the news krew scream cut and take him off air and then he gets sacked, fkin brilliant.

Novaboi_1991
04-06-09, 03:55 PM
i assume you mean is it worth saving the rims due to it,

answer is yes,

get down your local halfords, get some lead filler, or some chem-metal,

put tape around the brim of the tyre to prevent painting the tyre, sand off what corrosion there is, fill it with one of the above products, sand it so its smooth and you cant notice that its been filled, then simply primer up the section, and spray then laquer,

however if i get a set of allys that are corroded, i refurb the whole set... then primer the whole wheel, then paint then 4 or 5 coats of laquer,

so might be worth thinking about a refurb?

Novaboi_1991
04-06-09, 03:56 PM
oh, if your on a short budget and need quite a bit of work done, you can use body filler to fill the gaps, long as you dont use too much hardener as itll crack, where you need to to be slightly flexable,

mayhem
04-06-09, 04:35 PM
its the clear varnish, best option is to sand down the lip and polish it.

Tidy Max
04-06-09, 05:56 PM
thanks lads, same issue with them mag wheels i was refurbing, refurbing is an option i want to seriously avoid, i realise im not going to get the chrome back without some mad skills and machinery and chemicals, but i would rather make the corrosion look abit less if possible!

thanks for your help :)

Novaboi_1991
04-06-09, 08:05 PM
you can get chrome paint mate,?

Nova_Tek
04-06-09, 09:18 PM
^^but they are usually poo.

Tidy Max
05-06-09, 08:12 AM
yeah chrome paint isnt really chrome is it lol or is it? ive always stayed well clear! if it was going to be decent then i would probably do my other rims lip with it!!

Novaboi_1991
05-06-09, 10:34 AM
yer ive used it
halfrauds sell it bout a fiver a tin,

id recommend alot of preparation if you do use it tho, as every dimply will show

Cheers