PDA

View Full Version : sri to sr????

daverobson
04-06-09, 11:36 AM
i can get a 1400 sri engine but i want a 1.3/4 sr.
if i get the sri engine and than get either, 1.4sr manifold/carbs. 1.4 manifold/carbs and head. or 1.3 manifold/carbs and head

thanks dave,

AlexW
04-06-09, 11:50 AM
Your asking a question?

Why dont you want the SRI? More power, and imo more reliable.

daverobson
04-06-09, 01:08 PM
just want carbs, old skoolllll.:)

GRUNT 16V
04-06-09, 01:12 PM
You Want Oldskool?????????????
1 How Old Are You ???????
2 Old Skool Is Twin 40s
3 Theres No Replacement For Displacement

Welsh Dan
04-06-09, 01:17 PM
The SRI has a better head. I'd use that then use a round port twin 40 manifold, and an aftermarket cam with 1.2/3/4 ignition.

The 1.4 SRI has round inlet ports the same as the GTE and GSI engines, these are the best. The 1.4SR has small square ports, these are the worst. The 1.2 and 1.3 have cathedral ports which are good.

jimbob-mcgrew
04-06-09, 02:51 PM
lol grunt loves his displacement

what would be good actually, if u kept the sri head on it, and had an inlet manifold manufactured for it to take a set of bike carbs. but for the price against gains, prob best off sticking with the injection, save u a fair wack on petrol too.

daverobson
04-06-09, 02:56 PM
well i need an engine and have been offerd sri, but i wanted a 1.3sr. wernt plannin on injection and want to go down the twin 40s route when have more money. plus i am goin to be taking the engine apart any way so thought about gettin a modded 1300 head and manifold.

jimbob-mcgrew
04-06-09, 03:01 PM
sounds good, will up the compression a bit too :thumb: u gonna slap it together with an sr inlet and carb to get it going then empty your wallet for twin 40's ?

General Lee
04-06-09, 03:01 PM
dont qoute me on this, does the 1300 inlet manifold fit onto the sri head and bolt the 1.4 carb on that? Because this is basically what im doing?

daverobson
04-06-09, 03:03 PM
sounds good, will up the compression a bit too :thumb: u gonna slap it together with an sr inlet and carb to get it going then empty your wallet for twin 40's ?

thats what i wanted to hear. so it shoud all work sound?

jimbob-mcgrew
04-06-09, 03:05 PM
inlet manifold will most prob fit nath, but the ports might not be the same shape/size. ive heard if its a 1.3 SR inlet, then yeh the 1.4's 2e carb will go on it, if its a standard 1.3 inlet, dont think it will.

edit : forgot to mention nath, if thats what your doing, you might need to change the cam and carrier for a carb model with a mechanical pump on if your not hooking up some sort of external fuel feed.

fuel systems is a tricky one, i cant get my head round em.

jimbob-mcgrew
04-06-09, 03:07 PM
thats what i wanted to hear. so it shoud all work sound?

yeh, should be cool, ive heard stories of people puttin 1.2 heads onto 1.4 blocks and them being a strong pulling engine, but theyve got a tendency to get ferkin hot and the heads end up gettin fried, but the 1.3 head onto 1.4 block is much more stable from what ive heard. (not quite as savage compression, but deffo an improvement over the 1.4), plus the 1.3 heads got better flowing inlet ports over the 1.4's square ports, alot of people class it as a superior head in comparison.

General Lee
04-06-09, 03:29 PM
Thats what im doing i have an sri engine and an sr head with all inlets, carb, dizzy, coil. What im doing is waiting for a bit of money to get t40s then when i have them bolt it onto the sri head then bolt that back to the engine.

General Lee
04-06-09, 03:32 PM
inlet manifold will most prob fit nath, but the ports might not be the same shape/size. ive heard if its a 1.3 SR inlet, then yeh the 1.4's 2e carb will go on it, if its a standard 1.3 inlet, dont think it will.

edit : forgot to mention nath, if thats what your doing, you might need to change the cam and carrier for a carb model with a mechanical pump on if your not hooking up some sort of external fuel feed.

fuel systems is a tricky one, i cant get my head round em.

well i'm not going the 1.3 way i was just wondering if it would work, then i could keep the sri head on for the time being. but sounds too much work for short time use, so i will stick with the sr head setup, thanks tho nice to know

jimbob-mcgrew
04-06-09, 03:57 PM
^ that was for robson who started the thread :thumb:

im confused now with yours nath, you mention sr head then sri head, then sr head, carbs, inlets, twin 40's now lol ive got a picture in my mind of an engine with 3 heads stacked ontop of it, with injection and carbs and manifolds all pissing out fuel all over the shop lol

General Lee
04-06-09, 04:11 PM
now i'm confused, the one i quoted was for me because it has mine name written all over it! yeah mines a 24 valve hotrodlol . noooo i have a complete sri engine i also have a complete sr top end seperate. i'm going to put the sr top end (head inlet carb dizzie) on the sri bottom block. and when i get my t40s i will mate them to the sri head and put the sri head back on. comprenday

General Lee
04-06-09, 04:12 PM
EDIT: it's posted twice

mikey14sr
04-06-09, 04:48 PM
now i'm confused, the one i quoted was for me because it has mine name written all over it! yeah mines a 24 valve hotrodlol . noooo i have a complete sri engine i also have a complete sr top end seperate. i'm going to put the sr top end (head inlet carb dizzie) on the sri bottom block. and when i get my t40s i will mate them to the sri head and put the sri head back on. comprenday

Best way to do it imo. You could just bolt the SR inlet on but the port mis-match is terrible and would cause a few big steps in the flow.

I ran 1300 top-end (skimmed a fair bit, 32/34 instead of 2e3), 1.4SR ignition, piper 285 cam and an SRi bottom end in mine and had 95bhp out of it (but thats only a 10bhp gain from the cam and carb over the SRi's injection system).

General Lee
05-06-09, 08:08 AM
Best way to do it imo. You could just bolt the SR inlet on but the port mis-match is terrible and would cause a few big steps in the flow.

I ran 1300 top-end (skimmed a fair bit, 32/34 instead of 2e3), 1.4SR ignition, piper 285 cam and an SRi bottom end in mine and had 95bhp out of it (but thats only a 10bhp gain from the cam and carb over the SRi's injection system).

Sorry i hijacked the thread, wish i had the injection as an option, but all i have is the head and inlet. 85 standard don't seem too bad at all.

jimbob-mcgrew
05-06-09, 03:08 PM
ahh i get ya now nath, your doing prety much exactly what robsons doing, but keeping it 1400 thruout, so SR engine prety much, i think there 79 horse with the 2e, twin 40's would probably jack it up some, but manufacturing an inlet for the 40's might be tricky as the 1.4 carb head has square ports.
hows about when u source out the 40's, revert back to the sri head, but with the carb cam carrier and mechanical pump, then youd get all the benefits of the sri head flow and manufacturing an inlet will be easier too. might be worth havving a think about, obvioulsy the head gasket and cambelt will need doing for a second time, gotta weigh up the costs i guess. :thumb:

edit : or maybe as you seem to be keen on injection, might be cheapest and easiet to source an inlet for the injection side, dont suppose you have the ecu and wiring with the engine do ya ?

daverobson
08-06-09, 06:20 PM
mmmm.... all very intresting. still dont know what i am goin to do. lol just need an engine seein as mine only has half a 993under head cam in it lol. any one got a complete 1400 sr engine or a mix of 1.3/1.4 carb engine?
cheers for the input:)

Benn
08-06-09, 06:55 PM
Get the Sri lump. Fit and use, then if you wanna change to twins do it when you have the cash.

daverobson
08-06-09, 07:10 PM
my car was carb originally and dont fancy changing tank and wiring pump and bolocks if only goin to change it after any way.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-06-09, 12:12 AM
edit : sorry, wrong thread.

daverobson
13-06-09, 12:15 PM
whoop found 1.3sr now. perfect:)

jimbob-mcgrew
14-06-09, 02:32 PM
nice ! .... im rushing off my tits on sugar