PDA

View Full Version : ASKING THE EXPERTS FOR ADVICE sorry

sleeperluv
04-06-09, 06:20 AM
Here goes, just become a member of your site which can I say is spot on,
have a few questions which I need to share with you all gonna be buying a transplanted nova/corsa with a c20let.

Wanna go the nova way really as they are a great retro car with not a great deal on the roads any more which has stopped that chav stigma.

love to do the transplant myself but looking around it seems buying one with the engine in is the most cost effective way...your thoughts.

Question.

Is having a f28 box a bigger advantage then the f20 whats the pro,s and con,s ????????.

If buying a c20let nova all ready done whats the most common thing to look for which generally say's WALK AWAY!!!, Reason for this question once brought a cosworth which ended up being a morgage " being in det, with a car with det,enation...

Whats the most common thing to fail with these cars running a let? " apart from clutches of course "

Seen some really awsome tubular manifolds on a handful of nova/corsa lets any ideas who sell these or are they fabricated by the owner......

Thanks very much, bit of a virgin on the let front, but boy these cars from what i,ve seen are such a great transplanted car with years of pediegre.

much luv.

Adam
04-06-09, 07:03 AM
F28 has 6 gears so is great for motorway driving, its also a lot stronger than a f20. Well worth fitting with a let, but it means having to cut and a weld a new gearbox mount onto the car.

Rust is always a killer with any nova, but with a let fitted check things like the engine bay seams, make sure they arent pulling away from each other. Also check the front crossmember where the tie bars bolt to for rust/cracks.
When you drive it check for blue exhaust smoke when the turbo boosts, if you see any chances are the turbo oil seals are worn....

You can make a tubular manifold for quite cheap, using a nissan 200sx manifold (about £100 off ebay), then cutting the head flange off and welding on a xe/let flange. Or places like Nortech sell "proper" ones.

Welcome to PNG too :)

gaznovalet
04-06-09, 12:53 PM
^^^^^ adam has coverd it already, and welcom to png.

sleeperluv
04-06-09, 01:40 PM
Thanks Guys, For Being So Prompt.

Jay
04-06-09, 01:43 PM
Welcome to PNG, i see your from Berks, where abouts?

jimbob-mcgrew
04-06-09, 02:47 PM
im gonna take a shot in the dark and say maidenhead

sleeperluv
04-06-09, 06:14 PM
Hi form the village of Newbury!!! you know it bad traffic with a bloke called stumpy who loves by-passes.

Nova_Tek
04-06-09, 06:31 PM
Being a LET'd Nova it's most probably gonna be thrashed every now and again, so all the normal, usual, sensible engine checks to be carried to make sure the LET is a healthy one. Apart from that what Adam said :D .

Welcome to PNG. :thumb:

sleeperluv
04-06-09, 06:41 PM
Too true thanks nova tek and the rest of you CHEERS.

much luv.

Sloth
04-06-09, 06:46 PM
welcome to png, have a sloff hug!

Lee
04-06-09, 09:33 PM
I used to live on the Hollands in Thatcham up to 2 months ago :)

Welcome along!

Walshie_Loon
04-06-09, 10:20 PM
Welcome to png nice to see another member from berkshire.