PDA

View Full Version : throttle bodies.

gavint5
04-06-09, 01:24 AM
so if (and i most likely will) i decide to go for tuning my xe as opposed to getting a let i will be looking at throttle bodies in the very near future but i have alot of questions before i could do this.

what bike throttle bodies could i use? size etc.

what injectors would i need?

what size must the throttle bodies be?

i pressume as a bike revs twice as hard then a set from an engine half the size will provide addequate fuell and air??? so 1000cc or there abouts yer?

what cams would be recomended on a tb'd xe? and are lighter pulleys neccessary? and could the cams be fitted prior to the tb's?

is megasquirt a good enough management for tb's? would there be any extra sensors to fit?

Steve
04-06-09, 01:43 AM
HERE (http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/297105-how-2-bike-carbs.html) you go mate :thumb:

gavint5
04-06-09, 02:14 AM
thanks but im banned for being a spammer... lets not go into this again though cos it upset a few folk.

any other links?

Adam
04-06-09, 07:05 AM
45mil bodies
Can use standard xe injectors.... depending on how much power you're hoping to make.

Megasquirt works well, in the right hands.....

Will F
04-06-09, 08:37 AM
Dont get bike bodies.
Go to SBD with a blank cheque

Mazz
04-06-09, 10:22 AM
Dont get bike bodies.
Can i ask why? They seem to get good result for a 1/3 of the price of an SBD kit..

Will F
04-06-09, 11:04 AM
Dunno really - I just think they are a bit pikey!lol

Havent really seen any reliable results to say they are better than carbs (which is teh route I would go down if budget was an issue), so would always say TBs.

gaznovalet
04-06-09, 12:32 PM
had R1 bike carbs on my xe with reprofiled cams and adjustble piper pulleys car made 191bhp with 2.1 bottom end,
R1 carbs cheap on egay, bogg brothers jet them to suit and can supply inlet manifold or make your own as i am now as they have upto 3 month waiting list and save you around £180, i sold the complete set up i had to a lad on here recently, i used R1 bike pump as runs correct fuel pressure 3 psi and adjusts to suit constantly- no need for fpr with this pump just run direct to carbs same as on bike, and for ignition i used mk2 cav dizzy and amp wiring with my redtop coil, ya only need 1 fuel line for these and its not high pressure, if have a return on tank simply just block it off at tank end. i never had any problems with mine and these dont need expensive managment as run fine with just the cav dizzy and no tps.

gavint5
04-06-09, 07:03 PM
cheers gaz youve got me pointed in the right direction there and im gonna try and source some. my xe is a later model with a coilpack can you explain what you done with the wiring in more detail??? or what about a nice windows paint diagram???

Ernie
04-06-09, 08:11 PM
Dont get bike bodies.
Go to SBD with a blank cheque
I would go with what will said or Jenvey as thats what mine is running.

gavint5
04-06-09, 08:19 PM
im not gonna buy jenvey or sbd as the prices are riddiculous and i think i can get a good set up on the cheap with a little research and a bit help from some folk on here. my mate was running jenvey on his xe with emerald management and only got 190bhp practically the same as gaznovalet but a hell of alot more money and in my oppinion the quality of some of the parts where piss poor. there where a few problems with bits that bolted onto the kit bending as they where made from cheap alloy and had cheap nuts and bolts.

Stuart
04-06-09, 08:30 PM
you can get 2nd hand jenveys for not a huge amount. PLUS think about long term stuff......

eg bike carbs/tb's will be worth **** all in a few months time, but Jenveys will still be worth within 20% of what you pay for them. So long term its cheaper to get "proper" stuff ;)

gavint5
04-06-09, 08:30 PM
heres a set i would buy if you can confirm there good for the job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-R1-2003-Throttle-Bodies-mint-condition_W0QQitemZ200347194206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2ea59f935e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

have a look for me please. thanks

gavint5
04-06-09, 08:34 PM
you can get 2nd hand jenveys for not a huge amount. PLUS think about long term stuff......

eg bike carbs/tb's will be worth **** all in a few months time, but Jenveys will still be worth within 20% of what you pay for them. So long term its cheaper to get "proper" stuff ;)
yer but as ive said just now, there piss poor. the throttle bodies themselves where ok but the rails and cams attatched bent when under pressure from the throttle cable and would of eventually snapped if we hadnt made some attempts at rectifying the problem. i still think they would of broken eventually unless we replaced the full set up for steel but my mate sold the car before that happened. if this has been overlooked at the factory then what other corners have been cut??? i rekon if im gonna have to fabricate parts for it i want to get it cheap. im basically only gonna pay for what im getting.

gavint5
04-06-09, 08:42 PM
would these be preferable to the first set?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-R1-07-08-4C8-Throttle-Bodies-FLY-BY-WIRE-CARBS_W0QQitemZ130310502705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_M otorcycle_Parts?hash=item1e571c7931&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting

Stuart
04-06-09, 08:46 PM
yer but as ive said just now, there piss poor. the throttle bodies themselves where ok but the rails and cams attatched bent when under pressure from the throttle cable and would of eventually snapped if we hadnt made some attempts at rectifying the problem. i still think they would of broken eventually unless we replaced the full set up for steel but my mate sold the car before that happened. if this has been overlooked at the factory then what other corners have been cut??? i rekon if im gonna have to fabricate parts for it i want to get it cheap. im basically only gonna pay for what im getting.

That smacks of a piss poor install more than the TB's being at fault.

Thats pretty much the ENTIRE reason the old wives tales about T40's came about with people not setting the throttle cable up to NOT bend the spindles.

gavint5
06-06-09, 06:18 PM
no the parts where **** mate. i straightened them out and tried fitting them the only other way possible and it was better for about five minutes then it bent like thin weak alloys do. it was a part that should of been twice its thickness or made of steel.

Ernie
06-06-09, 06:43 PM
mine still work fine.

Dar
06-06-09, 07:33 PM
When the throttle is wide open you should be just off of the stops on the TB's. Using the stops on the TB's instead of the stop on the accelerator pedal is a poor install. If they were the proper jenvy TB's and installed properly they would be fine.

However if I were you I would go for a set of bike TB's or carbs. They will work fine for you and they are also cheaper.

gavint5
06-06-09, 09:34 PM
yer cool do you know what i mean by the alloy cam the throttle cable atatches to though? if so you can imagine how heavy work will bend it. shame like. it was set up on emerald with standard cams, pulleys and manifold but still made good figures so had it not been for them flimbsy peices i would be singing their praises.

gavint5
06-06-09, 09:35 PM
ahh that could of been the problem actually? i'll have to have a look at some up close at a show or something one day and see if their done any different.

Stuart
07-06-09, 11:48 AM
yer cool do you know what i mean by the alloy cam the throttle cable atatches to though? if so you can imagine how heavy work will bend it. shame like. it was set up on emerald with standard cams, pulleys and manifold but still made good figures so had it not been for them flimbsy peices i would be singing their praises.

there shouldnt be any "heavy work" on the throttle linkage at all!!!!! again piss poor **** install.

pul16v
07-06-09, 02:08 PM
are you talking about actual jenvey throttle bodies ? the ones ive worked on had better manufactured linkage system than any bike carb/ throttlebody ive worked on bike stuff is usualy quite small and thin but the jenvey stuff was well made little awquad to adjust but it worked

gavint5
07-06-09, 11:04 PM
yer these where genuine jenveys. its possible the parts where made up in a workshop and didnt actually come with the bodies but i doubt it cos they looked factory.

Dinoman
07-07-09, 01:18 PM
45mil bodies
Can use standard xe injectors.... depending on how much power you're hoping to make.

Megasquirt works well, in the right hands.....No mate you have to connect it to the car ?? Regards DM

Adam
07-07-09, 06:33 PM
Huh?

Southie
07-07-09, 07:17 PM
No mate you have to connect it to the car ?? Regards DM
Explain as that's jibberish :roll:

yayoboy
07-07-09, 09:56 PM
sbd + years wages = :thumb:

Stuart
07-07-09, 09:58 PM
sbd + years wages = :thumb:

either an UBER engine, or crap wages lmao

yayoboy
07-07-09, 10:01 PM
lol mine will be uber :cool:

Dinoman
04-09-09, 11:09 AM
Explain as that's jibberish :roll:

Sorry it was my attempt at a Joke, "you said in the right hands " and I said MS has to be connected to the car ??, Regards DM

peester
04-09-09, 05:35 PM
bike carbs are designed for top-end bhp, on a bike.. not lower down torque on a car, so you might not get the benefits youde expect.

Count Vaux Alot
04-09-09, 05:55 PM
*** ADMIN EDIT *****

Naughty naughty!

Dinoman
04-09-09, 06:09 PM
bike carbs are designed for top-end bhp, on a bike.. not lower down torque on a car, so you might not get the benefits youde expect.

I do not know where you got that info ? have you ever seen a bike accelerate away from the lights, the mistake most often made by people who fit multi carbs or Throttle Bodies is going for the largest they can find, as anyone who knows anything about the subject will tell you, first what is the most BHP you are going to make per cycl an example 50 BHP per Cycl is pretty average that equals 200BHP for a 4 Cycl max 7000 RPM and for that you would fit 30mm Throttle Bodies or Carbs Venturi size 35 to 40 MM is more than adequate and you will have good low down torque as well where as if you went for 45mm TB's then you would loose lots of low down torque as they will only realy give there best at max revs, and it is usually people who know nothing about engines who go for the large numbers as it sounds better when they tell their mates, Regards DM

Prey
04-09-09, 06:48 PM
From my experience (of mine and a few other conversions) bike carbs have pulled really well low down.

peester
04-09-09, 08:54 PM
more the inlet tract length which increases torque,..? not large numbers.
i've not seen many bike carbs on here, tis all..

Mike
04-09-09, 09:01 PM

I/we've never ever had any comeback on any of the sets of Jenvey's & OMEX used in our/my old rally cars?!