PDA

View Full Version : Hunting XE - Spark Plugs?

ST-eater
03-06-09, 12:18 PM
Hi all..

Right ive now sorted my non-runner xe nova and that runs perfect... but im still having the issues with my own xe..

Its been hunting and so far i have changed the ICV, and replaced all the inlet gaskets, checking for leaks etc.

I tried the usual wd40 trick to see if the car would cough and splutter, but it didnt... but i went along the route of replacing everything anyway.

Sorted all that, and its all airtight and fine... all the pipes are in great condition yet the car is still hunting.

Im running platinum spark plugs, and not sure if these could be the case.. as apparently they run differently to other spark plugs as the frequency (like sin wave) is nearer to a flat line, than what a normal plug would be, up and down... (not sure really how to explain)...

But could anyone tell me if the plugs could be the issue, or would these not effect the idling.

GRUNT 16V
03-06-09, 12:36 PM
what heat range are the spark plug your using??

craig green
03-06-09, 12:56 PM
Hot weather wont help tbh. Whats it like at night?

ST-eater
03-06-09, 02:26 PM
good until it gets warm, then shockingly bad lol...

Well ive rang up an autofactors and my spark plugs i have are not listed for my engine.. im using,

BOSCH PLATIN FR5DP Plugs :S

craig green
03-06-09, 02:49 PM
CTS coolant temp sensor (blue plug in stat housing). Fit a new one.

ST-eater
03-06-09, 02:56 PM
Ive had a new one of these CTS recently... i thought they would effect the starting of the car if there was an issue?

craig green
03-06-09, 02:58 PM
They can fail or fook up in all sorts of ways. Get a genuine one. Also ensure the 2 wires on it's plug are in good order. No use having a good sensor with duff wiring.

The problems you have point right at that sensor tbh.

GRUNT 16V
03-06-09, 03:01 PM
The Plug Your Using Is Far To Hot For Your Engine Try Ngk Bkr6ek Or For The Early 20xe Bcpr7es

ST-eater
03-06-09, 03:03 PM
my engine is apparently an astra gte... but it uses an early loom, and early dizzy and coil set up. Also the head is the cosworth, so which of the two above would you reccomend? I was told i need the hotter out the two due to having a seperate coil and dizzy :S

ST-eater
03-06-09, 03:07 PM
il get a CPS from vaux tomorrow, but needing sparkys today :(

Just not sure which ones to go for

Will F
03-06-09, 04:11 PM
Some XEs REALLY dont like cone filters - esp when the ambient temp is higher than normal....

Have you got one?

ST-eater
16-06-09, 02:53 PM
Yea i have... since my post ive ripped the inlet off, refitted with golden gasket (liquid stuff) on all the areas where the gaskets are (other than the metal one that attatches to the block as this was replaced)...

Ive changed the plugs for standard twin spark NGK ones as advised by someone on here, and then done the breather mod to the rocker cover (as it was off i thought id do it anyhow)...

This has cured whatever the problem was.... not sure which bit helped, but its not had an issue since