PDA

View Full Version : building my qauife SCCR gearbox?

greg1.4
02-06-09, 10:39 PM
i have bought myself a Quaife SCCR gearbox but...

I have also got myself a Gripper Limited Slip Differential.
This is the bit that we are stuck at..:confused:

we have never done this before and we have been told the diff needs to be setup correctly?

what do we have to do and how do we do it?

if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated..

as i have said, we have never done it before so please explain as simply as possible..

Thanks

Greg

mowgli
02-06-09, 10:47 PM
www.quaife.co.uk

Stuart
02-06-09, 11:00 PM
in essence the diff will have its ramp rates preset in the factory/rebuilder and then fititng it yourself you simply do the big ass castle nut up till the diff wont turn, then back it off till it starts to be turnable by hand. et voila, one setup diff

greg1.4
02-06-09, 11:02 PM
Stuart- the diff is actually second hand..

it is in my F13CR gearbox just now, but i am swapping it into my new box..

so does this make it easier?

no adjusting preload or whatever it is??

Stuart
02-06-09, 11:14 PM
the preload is essentially the castle nut thing I described. makes no odds what state of play the gear housing is in

greg1.4
02-06-09, 11:18 PM
ok so no fancy tools or anything needed for changing/setting up diff?

is it the haynes manual? if so, if we follow this for a standard diff should we be ok?

what is the big castle nut you are talking about?

sorry, but i have never done a gearbox before, this is me just starting to learn about boxes...lol

Welsh Dan
02-06-09, 11:33 PM
The castle nut is obvious when looking at the passenger side of the gearbox.

Stuart
03-06-09, 07:25 PM
haynes wont cover it (well I dont think so)

have a quick read of the FD swap guide in the articles section for a quick run down of whipping an F10/13 apart and how to reset the diff etc

gary_126
07-07-09, 08:48 PM
ok so no fancy tools or anything needed for changing/setting up diff?

is it the haynes manual? if so, if we follow this for a standard diff should we be ok?

what is the big castle nut you are talking about?

sorry, but i have never done a gearbox before, this is me just starting to learn about boxes...lol

To be honest the spec of the diff will have been set up from factory, and will most likely be fine.

To swap it over, removed the pan/lower cover from the gearbox.
Next, remove the keeper plate, and slacken off the castle nut. (i made a tool from 25mm steel angle, and welded a bolt in the middle, alowing a breaker bar and socket to be used)

When i fitted my atb diff, i bought new bearings and shaft seals (well worth it)

With the castle nut out, you can twist the crown wheel out. The diff then unbolts from the crown wheel.

Fit the new dif and bearings. (swap the nylon speedo gear over) And yes it IS nylon, and just prises off with a screwdriver, i thought it was metal, and heated with a blow torch, and the teeth went like chewing gum. Luckilly i had a dis-mantled box from when doing an engine conversion in my sisters corsa.So used that spedo drive (was the same)

Put the complete unit back in the gearbox, and re-fit the castle nut.

Tighten the nut up, then slacken off, until the crown wheel can be turned freely by hand (similar to setting a rear wheel bearing)