PDA

View Full Version : Splitting looms

MK999
02-06-09, 02:20 PM
Having a nightmare trying to strip the 1.2 SPI loom out of my car atm, as the ecu is inside the car it's a bugger to try and trace back through! The way the Gsi engine is wired up with ecu in the bay is sooo much better, if i was doing a gsi to gsi transplant i'd be alright lol As well as vauxhall loving their electrical tape which turns into a stodgy mess after 16 years of engine heat :(

Anyone got any tips on how to get the bastid out? :confused:

I can't see anyone wanting the full loom so I don't mind cutting it, think i'll have to in order to get the ecu end out anyway but obviously I can't just cut the lot as some of it is kept for the Gsi (E16SE) engine, like engine temp, oil sensors etc. Think I've traced the main bits that are kept, fuel pump relay is a bit confusing though as that's spliced into the main live off the battery just in front of the firewall.

AlexW
02-06-09, 03:29 PM
Right what i did was just cut every wire off the back of the ecu, its not ideal but it was easy. Just left me with a few perm and ign lives near.

Your problery have to strip all the looms in the engine bay just to get all the 1.2 stuff out. If you take out anything you need its not hard to put it back in later.

All make sence? lol

MK999
02-06-09, 03:32 PM
so just cut the plugs off the ECU basically and pull everything through from engine side one by one? Makes sense that would leave only the sensors etc for dash and all the 'car loom' wires. The wiring is definitely going to be my biggest challenge on this lol The wire colours I have to wire the 1.6 up to don't seem to match either atm lol

AlexW
02-06-09, 03:38 PM
lol Yep, Takes a bit of time but meh what dosnt.

Wires on the 1.6 is all just dash stuff isnt it? Those your be left with too. things like the temp sensor (maybe), oil pressure switch and sender wires, a few ign and a perm live or two. Rev gauge and whatever else i cant remember atm lol.

MK999
02-06-09, 03:40 PM
yeah, GSi actually seems simple to wire up in comparison... but atm I have like 50 wires half of em the same colour all heading dashwards bound lol Be back in an hour or 2 swearing at the sticky ****e all over me :thumb: lol

MK999
02-06-09, 04:42 PM
Right, stripped out what i can for now, and this is whats left! I'm assuming all browns are earths, blacks are switched live, red perm live but mentioning them all just in case.

On the dash side where i've cut the plugs off the ecu there is:
Green (this doesn't go through to the engine bay, so maybe ECU light?)
Brown/blue (Also can't see this on the engine side, so ecu light earth?)
2x brown (earths)
black (Switched live from ignition barrel? does this need extending to put on the Gsi loom?)

theres some sort of vacuum sensor? with black/white and an earth on it

FPR:
Red (perm live, this goes on the Gsi loom?)
Red/blue (fuel pump, labelled ready to go on gsi loom)
Earth

Main chunk of the loom that runs down the back of engine:

Red/black (oil press sender iirc?)
Blue/white
Thin black
Thick black
blue x2
yellow/blue
thick brown

1.2 Coil:
Green
Brown
Black
Only problem is theres no green from the coil at the top by the bulkhead? does it change colour in the middle? :tard:

All I need to know for now is what can I cut off of the 1.2 loom, what I can cut short and label ready to go on the gsi loom and what is re used for dash gauges etc. Once the engine is out I can probably figure out a lot easier what sensors are what but atm with all these wires all over the place I'm struggling tbh!

MK999
02-06-09, 05:47 PM
narrowed down the "main loom" bit to 2 black/switched lives, will update it later as I'm late for work lol

jimbob-mcgrew
02-06-09, 06:09 PM
lol ****

sounds mad, hang in there matey, your making good progress by the sounds of it :thumb:

Graeme
02-06-09, 06:11 PM
I'd of just gone to the scrappy and spent the morning relieving a 1 litre or 1.2 carb model of its loom, has got to be far easier imo.

AlexW
02-06-09, 06:56 PM
Graeme its not that easy, then you have to run more lives plus all the fuel pump stuff.

Mark catch me on MSN please.

MK999
02-06-09, 10:33 PM
Right, now I have:

Green (this doesn't go through to the engine bay, so maybe ECU light?)
Brown/blue (Also can't see this on the engine side, so ecu light earth?)
2x brown (earths)
black (Switched live from ignition barrel? does this need extending to put on the Gsi loom?)

theres some sort of vacuum sensor? with black/white and an earth on it

FPR:
Red (perm live, this goes on the Gsi loom?)
Red/blue (fuel pump, labelled ready to go on gsi loom)
Earth

Red/black - Starter
Blue/white - Alt
Thin black - switched live for something, not figured out what yet
Thick black - Lambda :tard: It splits into 3 and becomes one little wire, odd!
blue x2 Oil Pressure/temp sender
yellow/blue Oil
thick brown Earth to the block

1.2 Coil:
Green
Brown
Black
Only problem is theres no green from the coil at the top by the bulkhead? does it change colour in the middle?

Not looked at the coil again yet, or the dash side of things. And still not sure what the vac sensor thing is or if I need it on the GSi loom?

MK999
03-06-09, 12:31 AM
Okay after a bit of investigation, I have this. New/not sure bits are in bold, sorry to keep repeating the whole list but it helps keep track and also useful for anyone else having the same problems!

Green Rev counter, either in or out, need to check, was on ECU plug
Brown/blue ECU light
2x brown (earths)

MAP-Not used on E16SE?:
Black/White - probably only connected into the loom, and no longer on the ecu, need to check
brown (earth)

FPR:
Red perm live, this goes on the Gsi loom?
Red/blue fuel pump, labelled ready to go on gsi loom
Earth

Red/black - Starter
Blue/white - Alt
Thin black - switched live for something, not figured out what yet, but shouldn't matter?
Thick black - Lambda :tard: It splits into 3 and becomes one little wire, odd!
blue x2 Oil Pressure/temp sender
yellow/blue Oil
thick brown Earth to the block

1.2 Coil:
Green
Brown
Black
Only problem is theres no green from the coil at the top by the bulkhead? does it change colour in the middle? Need to investigate this, as green behind dash could be to clocks and a random brown or black could be from coil if it's been bodged together, unless anyone has any other ideas

AlexW
03-06-09, 01:05 AM
Glad i could help a little. Now hurry up and get it done!

MK999
03-06-09, 10:19 PM
Okay, all sorted now as far as engine removal is concerned, everything important had been put to one side and labelled, all the switched lives and earths have been cut off as long as possible and put to one side. I'm assuming all the switched lives are live from the dash, i.e battery-ignition key-coil, ecu, sensors etc but obviously these can be tested with a multimeter if needed. New developments in bold again. Thanks to those that helped :thumb:

Green Rev counter, assumed outwards to dash instruments
Brown/blue ECU light on dash
2x brown (earths)
black - Sw Live

MAP-Not used on E16SE?:
Black/White - probably only connected into the loom, and no longer on the ecu, need to check - this pulled through but was spliced into 2, one went to ecu and was removed, the other seems to go onto the dash somewhere, has been put to one side and labelled
brown (earth)

FPR:
Red perm live, was cut back to the main perm live off battery in error, will be rerun if needed
Red/blue fuel pump, labelled ready to go on gsi loom
Earth

Red/black - Starter
Blue/white - Alt
Thin black - Sw live
Thick black - dizzy sensor thing
yellow/blue Oil
blue oil
blue temp (labelled these before removal)
thick brown Earth to the block Need to work out where/if these needs running to, but I think there is one on the GSi loom already, put to one side and labelled

1.2 Coil:
Green
Black x2, was dirty not brown lol both run to the same terminal so not sure what is going on there, but the gsi loom has the coil plugs etc on it
Only problem is theres no green from the coil at the top by the bulkhead? does it change colour in the middle? Green loops round back onto the plug at the bottom of the coil, but I have the green dash side, which I assume is to clocks, and green on GSi loom so these will be connected up

Sloth
04-06-09, 05:25 PM
how to convert a spi nova:

get the glove box out, undo the ecu, and cut ALL the wires to the 2 ecu plugs. unwrap the loom that goes through the bulkhead ( remove the tape) and do the same in the bay. pull the wires INDIVIDUALLY (one at a time) until no more come out. you will be left with the dash feeds and the fule pump wire, and a few permanent lives and switched lives. now drill a hole at the top of the bulkhead at the drivers side, feed your new engine loom through. pull the spare wires through from the bay under the glove box and back across the dash to the fuse box. connect em to the 3 small plugs and make sure to connect the fuel pump also. if the wires dont reach extend them, or, take the dash out, untape the dash loom, pull the wire across and retape it all. use the switcheds and permanents to feed the new loom. easy peasy. remember to tape it ALL up!
if this seems a bit complex then id stay with a 1.2 tbh, and build your skills, as the spi's are harder to do, and for a novice impossible....... its the ONLY way to do it. i did mine in car took 20 mins but i knew what i was doing, if ya aint got a haynes, get it and read it. otherwise you will fook it up! if ya put the starting and charging loom on the lump when its out its easier.

hope this helps,

Sloth