PDA

View Full Version : c20let two types of crank sensor?

sunnyjim
02-06-09, 09:27 AM
does anyone know whether there are two types of crank sensor you can buy for a c20let as my engine idles fine but ignition timing goes to pot after 1000rpm, cheers in advance

Jonlem
02-06-09, 10:14 AM
Yes there are 2 you can use but they both work, one is plastic and one is metal, I believe the metal one is only from the earlier xe's although it could easily get supplied as a LET one as they all work the same.

sunnyjim
02-06-09, 10:16 AM
thanks, a woz hoping there are two totally different ones to solve the wierd problem i have.least it rules that out ne way. thanks mate

AlexW
02-06-09, 10:22 AM
Just a tip, dont text type, against the rules.

Jonlem
02-06-09, 10:36 AM
Out of interest it IS a xe/let one you have ?

I once saw a similar problem on a ecotec Calibra which ended up being that the Motor Factors had continually been supplying the wrong crank sensor.

Only realised when we looked at the way the female and male plug is grooved where they connect and the one they were supplying was nothing like the original although it did fit, very odd as I didn't think that would be a problem but after a lot of hassle thats all it was.

sunnyjim
02-06-09, 10:53 AM
the sensor i have is an xe one but have tried one off my mates mk3 astra let an that didnt work thats why i thought there may be two types. will have a look at the plugs to make sure they match up correctly, thanks. would it having an xe block affect the sensor for the let crank?

Jonlem
02-06-09, 11:19 AM
No blocks are indentical.

Make sure you have the seal and spacer fitted or the gap will be wrong on the trigger which can cause problems.

Did the fault just start or is this teething problems on a fresh build ?

Stock ecu I preume ?

sunnyjim
02-06-09, 01:08 PM
I just bought the engine with loom and ecu. it was already rebuilt but not that long a go ive been told, didnt have a crank sensor with it so i put my xe one on. The fault has happened since the engine was installed a few weeks ago. The ecu is standard and have tried changing it along with, dizzy,coil,leads,plugs, air mass meter. Wil have to check for a spacer.

Would a faulty knock sensor have the same effect someone said its linked to ignition timing?