PDA

View Full Version : GPS camera detector

marc novataken
01-06-09, 04:21 PM
can anyone recommend a decent speed/red light camera detector? got my eye on a couple on ebay but wanna hear a few opinions first :thumb:

General Baxter
01-06-09, 04:23 PM
simple, take the lead shoe off :p

marc novataken
01-06-09, 04:27 PM
wish i had the confidence to drive fast lol. im a real paranoid driver and always at or under the limit but just wanna be certain lol. went through a camera at 23 mph today and scared about points!!!!!

mowgli
01-06-09, 04:47 PM
well, it is quite easy.... you look for very big dayglo yellow birdboxes on posts near the road, or any van parked on the path with two obese cops in it..

marc novataken
01-06-09, 04:50 PM
i know that, theres a speed camera right outside my house lol, i have to go through it every time i go anywhere. its just cos im a very paranoid driver, am on anxiety medication cos i panic too much so i just want one for peace of mind really

mowgli
01-06-09, 04:53 PM
get a road angel or similar then.. but remember, they will not be that up to date...

marc novataken
01-06-09, 04:54 PM
get monthly updates with most of em tho dont you?

mowgli
01-06-09, 04:59 PM
I know how long it takes for official organisations to record things like speed cameras... it could be months before one is listed.

marc novataken
01-06-09, 05:00 PM
fair enough

marc novataken
01-06-09, 05:32 PM
oh yeah, is it true that you have to do 10% +2mph (35) in a 30 limit to get flashed?

Graeme
01-06-09, 05:35 PM
I have an early road angel, but it a serial port one and I struggled updating it but I do like the fact that you can add the cameras and blackspots yourself, so it'll save you second time around lol

AlexW
01-06-09, 05:36 PM
Road angle is what my brother has had for a couple of years now, as long as its updated now and then its fine.

Theres another that you can get, which does just the speed cameras and shows your GPS speed, il see if i can find it, as i cant rememeber the name for the life of me.

Al3x
01-06-09, 05:48 PM
just a normal tom tom will work too i think.
i have a tomtom one and it tells me locations and what limit it is. i didnt have to subscribe to anything just boutght it... plug-in and go. there are updates to but dont know if you have to pay for em as i dont need to yet :P

marc novataken
01-06-09, 05:52 PM
ok people ill have a look around. thanks :thumb:

Jack
01-06-09, 09:13 PM
oh yeah, is it true that you have to do 10% +2mph (35) in a 30 limit to get flashed?
No

I have tom tom with pocketgps database

bmw156
01-06-09, 09:25 PM
wish i had the confidence to drive fast lol. im a real paranoid driver and always at or under the limit but just wanna be certain lol. went through a camera at 23 mph today and scared about points!!!!!

you really are obsessed and to think the nova dials over read any way you were probably going about 15 mph lol

just dont worry about them dude, the nova dials over read you can probably go 35 and not get a ticket.

just get a tom tom reads speed, shows cameras all good.

marc novataken
01-06-09, 10:03 PM
you really are obsessed and to think the nova dials over read any way you were probably going about 15 mph lol

just dont worry about them dude, the nova dials over read you can probably go 35 and not get a ticket.

just get a tom tom reads speed, shows cameras all good.

was in a fiesta lol but i get what youre saying. thats why im thinking of getting one because it reads speed so will help a lot. im a real slow driver anyway i spend 99% of the time 2 or 3moh under the limit but im just paranoid lol. am on medication for it tho :cry:.

bmw156
01-06-09, 10:11 PM
what are you worried about, i dont get it

its not a bad thing to drive 1-2 mph under ther limit im sure 70% of people do it

what are you scared of??

marc novataken
02-06-09, 01:39 PM
what are you worried about, i dont get it

its not a bad thing to drive 1-2 mph under ther limit im sure 70% of people do it

what are you scared of??

i have 3 points, 3 more will lose me my licence. i try to always drive slightly under the limit but it only takes a second! theres loads of cameras, unmarked cars, speedtraps round here so i just worry. i know i am being WAY over the top with it but cant help it. im medicated but doesnt seem to work. jus fancy a detector for peace of mind, let me know when there is a camera and can also be set to warn you when youre over a pre set speed, so if i set it to warn me at say 28mph i know ill never be over the limit so not get flashed. once i get to my 2 years ill be fine and confident again. lol

Jack
02-06-09, 01:59 PM
GPS won't catch cars, and not all mobile sites.

Don't forget most local constabularies/"safety" partnerships stick up a list of fixed and mobile locations each month on their websites. Might be worth checking those out.

marc novataken
02-06-09, 02:03 PM
ok thanks ill check em out.

bmw156
02-06-09, 02:17 PM
if the pills are not working then stop taking them lol, you are "fighting" something mental with something psyichal. i think this is wrong and you just have to keep working on it and not worryibng about it. i guess when you go through a speedcamera at 29mph and it doesnt go off, this releases some worry??

marc novataken
02-06-09, 02:22 PM
if the pills are not working then stop taking them lol, you are "fighting" something mental with something psyichal. i think this is wrong and you just have to keep working on it and not worryibng about it. i guess when you go through a speedcamera at 29mph and it doesnt go off, this releases some worry??

probably would but i wouldnt have the bottle to do it, i go through em at about 22-23mph normally. i know i gotta keep working on it tho. i got a camera outside my house, went through it at under 25mph yesterday but it flashed a car behind me and now worried as hell even though i know i did nothing wrong it still gives me panic attacks for the next couple of weeks til im sure i wont get an NIP!