PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop CV boots leaking

Lee H
31-05-09, 11:17 PM
My outer CV boots continuously leak where they fit on the CV joint and spray out all over my wheels and suspension. Fitted some big thick cable ties and brand new boots and its still happening.

Anyone else have this problem and any ideas how to stop it? I'm running big block outer CV's but never had a problem when using cable ties when I run the small block ones on my other Nova.

Maybe suspension too low?

napalm_27
31-05-09, 11:20 PM
use the proper clips or jubilee clips

garyc
01-06-09, 12:23 PM
best fixed with the proper meal banding. I had the same but took the shaft out and took it to my local garage. They said everthing has to be oil free. They cleaned mine and banded it up for a fiver and has been fine since.

Lee H
01-06-09, 12:31 PM
Been trying to find the proper metal bands online but had no luck so far. Maybe local motorfactors can get things like that?

John
01-06-09, 01:08 PM
lee, get the proper clips from vauxhall, only a couple of quid iirc. They might have to order them in for you though.i've got a proper set of cv clip pliers, i know you're a bit far, but you're welcome to borrow them.

Lee H
01-06-09, 01:56 PM
lee, get the proper clips from vauxhall, only a couple of quid iirc. They might have to order them in for you though.i've got a proper set of cv clip pliers, i know you're a bit far, but you're welcome to borrow them.

Cheers John, just rang Vauxhall but they can't do them off the car make and model apparently, say I have to measure them so that looks like a job for another day.

Cheers for the offer on the pliers, think i'll have to just buy some, will probably get my use out of them :cry:

scott.parker
01-06-09, 02:18 PM
What? surly they can get some that fit for a big outer CV? not even if you say it's for a cav,or Astra mk3?

Scott

Lee
01-06-09, 02:35 PM
I normally use big jubilee clips, apart from on the larger part of the outer as they normally foul the hub carrier bracket.

Lee H
01-06-09, 02:57 PM
What? surly they can get some that fit for a big outer CV? not even if you say it's for a cav,or Astra mk3?

Scott

Told them they were for a mk2 Astra GTE 16v and they said they need measurements, hate dealing with Vauxhall parts sometimes, if it doesn't jump out of the screen at them they don't want to know.

Graeme
01-06-09, 05:41 PM
Have you tried the metal cable ties Lee? Thats what were supplied with my boots.

John
01-06-09, 06:07 PM
Lee tell them they're for a mk3 astra sport (x20xev) they are the same iirc.

R1CH
01-06-09, 06:42 PM
Make sure that thers no grease between the boot and the CV joint, i've alsways used the metal straps supplied with the boots, never had any probs.
How much grease you putting in ? maybe to much ?

Lee H
01-06-09, 09:23 PM
Make sure that thers no grease between the boot and the CV joint, i've alsways used the metal straps supplied with the boots, never had any probs.
How much grease you putting in ? maybe to much ?

Not much at all, just filled the joint and then fitted the boot, just don't think the cable ties are up to it as the boot can still twist even with them as tight as they will go.

Lee H
01-06-09, 09:24 PM
Lee tell them they're for a mk3 astra sport (x20xev) they are the same iirc.

They are saying they need diameters and can't go off the model, I just think they can't be arsed :roll:

buzbi
01-06-09, 09:27 PM
just keep cleaning the grease off it'll stop leaking when it runs out!!lol lol

EDIT: don't actually do this lol

Courtnova16v
01-06-09, 09:46 PM
I have the same problem but only on the one side, will try the proper straps from vauxhall.

buzbi
01-06-09, 09:53 PM
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=cv+clips&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=nova+rare&_osacat=0

John
01-06-09, 09:57 PM
They are saying they need diameters and can't go off the model, I just think they can't be arsed :roll:

What utter boll0x, don't you hate it when they can't be arsed! Anyone on here have trade club/epc and could get part numbers?

Lee H
01-06-09, 10:01 PM
What utter boll0x, don't you hate it when they can't be arsed! Anyone on here have trade club/epc and could get part numbers?

It really winds me up, used to be good in my local dealers but the guys who had an idea have moved on and now no-one seems to have a clue.

John
01-06-09, 10:03 PM
Lee, if you can hang on a bit i can ring the vauxhall dealers where i used to work tommorow, as i know the guys there still, they could find the part numbers for us.

Lee H
02-06-09, 10:09 AM
Lee, if you can hang on a bit i can ring the vauxhall dealers where i used to work tommorow, as i know the guys there still, they could find the part numbers for us.

Not in much of a rush so that would be great, running Cavalier equal length shafts but pretty sure all the CV's are the same size on big block hubs and gearboxes?

Guderian
02-06-09, 05:24 PM
Plain cable ties only ever work on the old type rubber boots. For some applications vauxhall supply the tough nitrile ones which MUST havestronger clips (thefactory ones you have mentioned) otherwise the boot pulls away when going to full lock.

Managed to get a pair of VERY blunt pincers which nip up the fixings nicely. alternatively a pair of sharp pincerscould be ground down with carei suppose.

craig green
02-06-09, 05:34 PM
As kinda said above, I would degrease te edge of the Cv joint & inside of the boot. Then use metal clips to clamp them up. I got about 20 metal clips from a factors for about a fiver. happy to take a pair to PV for ya....

Lee H
03-06-09, 12:01 AM
As kinda said above, I would degrease te edge of the Cv joint & inside of the boot. Then use metal clips to clamp them up. I got about 20 metal clips from a factors for about a fiver. happy to take a pair to PV for ya....

Will try my local factors tomorrow then for the clamps, just didn't want to get the wrong size.

Cheers for the offer Craig but not going to PV after last year, thought it was a bit poor. :mad:

craig green
03-06-09, 12:02 AM
No worries!

I only go to see faces & represent YO!

John
04-06-09, 01:29 PM
lee, the part number for the outer clips is 90129012. As some others have mentioned, the gen vaux cv gaiters are hard plastic, so the gen clips might not suit the soft rubber boots. Might be worth putting the gen vaux cv gaiters on. I had them on my xe, a bit dearer but they never leaked.