PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Wires

NathanSRi
31-05-09, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,

I've been told to swap round the red and yellow wires behind the headunit, but i can't find them :(

Has anyone got any photos of where they are on a Mk1? I presume theyre the same with all Mk1's but if not then it's an SR

Rep will be given :)

AlexW
31-05-09, 11:04 PM
Black and red on a standard wiring, yellow/red is usualy aftermarket things.

NathanSRi
31-05-09, 11:07 PM
Black and red on a standard wiring, yellow/red is usualy aftermarket things.
Well i have an aftermarket headunit, which wires am i looking for and where would they be?

Jack
01-06-09, 12:01 AM
They'll be in the wiring loom coming out the HU - you should have one red and one yellow cable.

One is for permanent live, one for switched live; on a Vauxhall (car) loom these usually need to connect the other way round, hence swapping them over.

NathanSRi
01-06-09, 12:08 AM
They'll be in the wiring loom coming out the HU - you should have one red and one yellow cable.

One is for permanent live, one for switched live; on a Vauxhall (car) loom these usually need to connect the other way round, hence swapping them over.
This is what i've been told, but i can't find mine :( Are they coming out the back of the Headunit or further back?

Sorry if i sound stupid it's just that this is my first attempt of changing something in my audio as it was all in there when i got it lol

NovaBoi92
01-06-09, 12:49 AM
this is a picture of the wiring for my head unit, bit on the left is for the speakers and the bit on the right is for live/earth etc.. this particular wiring came with the connectors to swap round live and ignition. have a look at the wiring which goes into the head unit, and you can't see yellow and red wires? if not, black and red like aw06 said, on the nova side of the loom behind the iso

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/NovaBoi92/DSC00030.jpg

napalm_27
01-06-09, 12:51 AM
the 2 plugs red and yellow swap them over mate

NathanSRi
01-06-09, 12:53 AM
the 2 plugs red and yellow swap them over mate
They the same for Mk1 yeah?

AlexW
01-06-09, 12:53 AM
Plug the bit of wiring in and then see which wire goes to red and black on the standard plug. Get me?

napalm_27
01-06-09, 12:55 AM
They the same for Mk1 yeah?
yes mate the iso loom on all head units are the same bud

NathanSRi
01-06-09, 12:55 AM
Plug the bit of wiring in and then see which wire goes to red and black on the standard plug. Get me?
Kind of lol

NathanSRi
01-06-09, 12:56 AM
+Rep given for everyones help :)

NovaBoi92
01-06-09, 12:57 AM
yeah i see what he means. (i think) plug all the head unit in, and follow the red and black wires through the iso block and see which head unit wires to cut and change around.

napalm_27
01-06-09, 01:00 AM
shouldnt have to cut any wires all/most units come with the option to change them over to make life simplez :thumb:

NovaBoi92
01-06-09, 01:02 AM
my other head unit didnt. current one does as you can see in that pic, but in all fairness he wouldnt be posting this thread if he had the plugs to swap it over!! lol

napalm_27
01-06-09, 01:05 AM
true but not every one is famiular with electrical/mechanical stuff thats why they do come on sites and ask mate :thumb:

NathanSRi
01-06-09, 11:23 AM
Right,

I think i've found the wires, are these the two that need swapping over:

http://i41.tinypic.com/53odq9.jpg

NovaBoi92
01-06-09, 11:34 AM
if thats the wiring coming straight out the nova loom, then no i dont think so. its black and red you want to swap over from the nova loom. but if you have a multimeter check the wires just to make sure, perma live should always have current running through it, and ignition live shoud only have current through it while the ignition is on. check that just to make sure

NathanSRi
01-06-09, 11:37 AM
if thats the wiring coming straight out the nova loom, then no i dont think so. its black and red you want to swap over from the nova loom. but if you have a multimeter check the wires just to make sure, perma live should always have current running through it, and ignition live shoud only have current through it while the ignition is on. check that just to make sure
Theyre coming out of the back of the headunit, The black block is what plugs into the headunit.

NovaBoi92
01-06-09, 11:39 AM
so that black plug your holding in that picture is the plug which goes into the head unit? thought it was the iso. but if that is the plug which goes into the head unit then im pretty sure they are the wires you want. somebody else should confirm it aswell, but if you have a multimeter, test the wires just to make sure

AlexW
01-06-09, 11:42 AM
If they match up to the black and red on the nova loom then swap them.

btw do you know why your doing this? your radio problery dosnt remember things atm and problery switchs off but not back on again once you have turned off the ign.

NathanSRi
01-06-09, 11:47 AM
If theyre not the right wires, what could they be?
I'm asking this because if i was to swap them around and they weren't right, what would happen?

NovaBoi92
01-06-09, 11:48 AM
only other wires they could be are speaker wires, thats why you need to be sure that they're the right ones. not a good thing to connect power cables to speaker cables! lol but as aw said follow it through and see if it matches up with red and black on the nova side of the wiring

AlexW
01-06-09, 11:48 AM
Depending what there for, just fry the head unit, or just pop a fuse, then again nothing lol

As long as them 2 wires join to the red and the black of the nova loom then its right.