PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal ???

Edd
31-05-09, 11:45 AM
Need to find out if this is legal before I go ahead and do it;

I have two shells at the mo,

One is a J reg which is having new panels fitted on to it at the mo,
The other is a A reg SR which is very rotten.

What I want to do is cut the vin code out of the A reg shell from by the drivers seat and weld it into the J reg shell. Basically a reshell I think??

I want to do this for a few reasons,
Keep the A reg plate,
All the glass has reg etched on it,
Don't want side repeaters,
My project will be a SR on paper!!

Few things spring to mind tho,

Is this legal?
Will I have trouble scrapping the Sr shell with no chassis number in it?
Can I scrap the A reg shell as the J reg with a cut out bit of metal with chassis number on it??!!
Also the A reg shell is white, and the J reg one is red!

Not sure what to do,

Any experiences, info, help ??

Thanks Edd

dj_wudgey
31-05-09, 11:57 AM
im not to shure but i was going to do it afew years back myself do it mate id say!!

JordyzNova
31-05-09, 11:58 AM
best to ring dvla

Plug
31-05-09, 11:58 AM
im sure you can get round it some how but its frowned apon But all i can say is do it

ashjones
31-05-09, 12:00 PM
id do it

Edd
31-05-09, 12:02 PM
best to ring dvla

Tried that but got pissed off after being on hold for 25 mins !!!

Will try again tomorrow tho, thort someone might of had some experience of this.

dj_wudgey
31-05-09, 12:03 PM
just f*cking do it mate lol

Edd
31-05-09, 12:07 PM
I'm going to do it, just don't want to be stuck with a rotting shell with no chassis number!!! Plus it's in my Girlfriends sisters garage at mo and I said it would have been gone last week !!!

Jack
31-05-09, 12:33 PM
Hmm, the law is a bit grey on this iirc. There's nothing to say you can't do it, BUT there are laws which say its illegal to hide a cars identity by chopping vin plates onto another car then selling it. Hmm.

Take a trip down to Exeter and talk to the DVLA. Not only will you get a better response, but the two lasses that work behind the counter there are more than worth the drive ;) lol

BIGS
31-05-09, 12:35 PM
tbh if you do it well you wont be able to tell anyway. So do it right or not at all i say.

But still do what jack said hmm very nice indeed. thats one place you dont mind waiting

Edd
31-05-09, 12:46 PM
I knew it was a bit of a grey area RJ, off to Exeter then! Can't see it being a problem with welding it into the J reg shell, but I can see being stuck with a shell with no chassis number !!

mowgli
31-05-09, 12:55 PM
basically it is a points based system. if you can prove the original engine, box, steering, axles, suspension are fitted to the new shell, you can keep the old registration details.

Edd
31-05-09, 01:00 PM
Bit of a problem for me then as a have a e16 se, rear disc beam, gas setup etc. I getting more doubtfull bout doing it now.

mowgli
31-05-09, 01:05 PM
Bit of a problem for me then as a have a e16 se, rear disc beam, gas setup etc. I getting more doubtfull bout doing it now.

if those bits are already in the mk1, then it is fine as they are what it already has fitted. as long as the engine is registered in the shell.....

basically, the old bill aren't going to go mad over a £1000 car that you have rebuilt. if you'd tried to ring it, then sell it, you'd be liable for prosecution.

skidmarkz
31-05-09, 01:12 PM
ooo glad you asked this question, i have a J reg shell and a H reg shell, i am basically taking EVERYTHING off the J reg orange nova and putting it in the new blue one.....

from what i read this seems ok, my reasons are..

The J reg orange is

i have a private J plate i wanted to put on
fully declared as a 2.0l
Insured as a 2.0l
taxed as a 2.0l

the blue is H and not registered as as 2.0l

Graeme
31-05-09, 01:17 PM
I would keep it to myself I know a lot of mini and landrover boys that have done it for years and never had any trouble, its not like they stolen or right offs just a change of i.d.

BIGS
31-05-09, 01:22 PM
I would keep it to myself I know a lot of mini and landrover boys that have done it for years and never had any trouble, its not like they stolen or right offs just a change of i.d.

Yep and i bet its a few sports going around thats had this done! and must be a few mk1 astra gte ect

nova alex
31-05-09, 02:13 PM
you could do what me and my old man did wit an old landy he had which he had taken the chassis number off just chop your old shell up and its just scrap metal then and you wont need a log book or anything for it when wieghting it in

L14MNP
31-05-09, 02:18 PM
Do it mate. Don't tell the authorities as they will do you for having a ringer - which it will be.

Nothing stolen/dodgy though as you are only wanting to keep the best shell/ID.

Loads do it. Say nowt and save yourself the hassle. :)

Edd
31-05-09, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the coments/info guys. I know what I'm going to do now

Novaboi_1991
31-05-09, 02:27 PM
mate, if your welding is good enough, you can cut the numbers out, weld them in grind the excess weld, spray it the right colour, then no one will know anyways,.

id say do it,

Graeme
31-05-09, 02:32 PM
Its just one of those things, as cars get older people will reshell them and restore them, its only the same as you buying a brand new shell and replacing everything. If you were to replace the floor it would be the same, either no number or the wrong number, its not like your trying to decieve anyone or doing cut and shuts, and your car is probably going to be better than one that was made in Spain just before siesta time lol

craig green
31-05-09, 07:25 PM
It's just a matter of being able to scrap the A reg SR shell without any hassle. So I would weld the J reg VIN no into it, dust some white aerosol over the area & be done with it....

L14MNP
31-05-09, 08:42 PM
TBH in my experience scrap metal yards won't check for the vin/chassis no. on the shell (doubt he'd even check/care about the colour). As long as he marks your J reg log book as scrapped then you're laughing.

Failing that, then cut it up and scrap it with a van.