PDA

View Full Version : whine whine whine!

ade
30-05-09, 07:58 PM
annoying - seriously annoying!

Since fitting my new carb me engines picked up a whine - its coming from the alternator area so I changed the belt.

still whines

So I changed the whole alternator (brand new one) - still whines

It only whines at about 40-50mph and when I take foot off the gas. Sounds like a shrill brid call - really painful to the head!

Anyone ideas? I thought it was belt tension but I;ve tried v tight and slightly slack and in between but to no avail...

:wtf:

car runs okay...

ade
30-05-09, 08:01 PM
also - can you run the car with alternatir belt removed?

Just want to test to see whether its that thats the problem...

let_nova
30-05-09, 08:09 PM
yes you can ade.

vaughanmc
30-05-09, 08:11 PM
Ade, try the bush thats on the alternator bracket mate

I think thats what its called anyway

Where you can loosen the nut and move the alternator back and forward to tighten the belt theres a bush there and they perish quite badly

let_nova
30-05-09, 08:13 PM
cant see that causing it to whine though.

ade maybe all the new horses have got to the gearbox lol

vaughanmc
30-05-09, 08:13 PM
Greg's silver Nova used to make a whine/high-pitch noise and it was the alternator bush

ade
30-05-09, 08:55 PM
cheers - not too sure re the bush - it sounds like its coming from the laternator blades but its defo not them as its a new alternator...

I'll try it minus the belt...

ade
30-05-09, 09:00 PM
sorted!

removed the belt - started it - no whine.

replaced the belt and just slackened it a tad - norw it runs sweet!

vaughanmc
30-05-09, 09:06 PM
Perfect Ade :D

mowgli
30-05-09, 09:30 PM
thank god for that, I thought there was a claim coming my way

Jack
30-05-09, 09:57 PM
Careful with slackening the belt, if it starts slipping you might find you run out of electrons lol

ade
30-05-09, 09:59 PM
lol

and GRRRRR - its started whining again - spoke to Dan who said if you can turn the belt so the teeth are facing upwards its too slack - thing is I cant push it back any more - theres still room for it to go back on the adjuster - it just wont go back!

Anyone got any suggestions on how I can wedge it back without damaging my timing cover?

I've already tried a crow bar between timing cover and back of alternator!

HELP! the scream is driving me MAD!

Jack
30-05-09, 10:34 PM
http://flypaper.bluefly.com/images/hot_pink_ear_muffs_bluefly_blog_flypaper.jpg

AlexW
30-05-09, 10:47 PM
lol Just get a block of wood between the alternator and somthing lol, cant remember what i usualy use on a 8v.

And i had a new alternator on my car, whined for about 4months and then just stoped whining one day lol

mowgli
30-05-09, 10:58 PM
have you tried a new belt?

i have seen astra diesels where the alt pulleys wear & the belt seems to get down too far in them & make noise.

ade
30-05-09, 11:04 PM
yeah - new belt - the exsisting belt also looks ok - only 9 months old...

I'll try a wooden wedge tomorrow.

mowgli
30-05-09, 11:20 PM
check the mounting bushes on the alternator. if yoy really tighten it up &( a bush is shot, the alt ends up on the angle & the belt squeals. also check your rhs engine mount, if it is worn, the belt gets very close to the chassis leg

ade
01-06-09, 12:24 AM
changed bushes - still the same - taking it in to a garage Tuesday - cant be fecked with it any more...

mowgli
01-06-09, 11:56 AM
its not a loose timing cover is it???