PDA

View Full Version : Having major troubles with my nova 1.2 flair, help me

flair
04-02-03, 09:48 AM
For some reason when i start my car and i havent been init for a while the engine is so sloppy. It cuts out when i come to slow down and once ive started it, it takes me 5mins of reving the engine to be able to even move off. Most of the time i just pull the choke out whilst im driving but this makes it hop and doesnt sound healthy to the engine at all. I think that this is nothing to do with the cold wether becuase this is getting silly. Alot of people say to me oh its just becuase its cold wether, i understand this but surely the wether cant make it this bad. I am thinking there must be something in the engine that needs cleaning or replacing to sort it out but unless i get it sorted soon i am going to have to get rid of my nova and i dont want to have to do that. Can someone please reply telling me what i need to replace or clean or any help they can give. Thanks nova crew you tha shiiiitttt. :evil:

burgessovsalford
04-02-03, 09:55 AM
ur not alone mate!! mine is doing the exact same thing at the mo & its doing my head in, every time i stop in traffic gotta start my engine up agen!! im convinced its my dissy & im going to get one at dinner...

Check the following;

take dissy off & check to see if the metal contacts r all rough & full of electroids(spelling?) If it is, the replace it & also replace the rotor arm while your there (should cost about ?15 for the both)

plugs leads could be fcuked?

plugs themselves mite need chainging

also the points might need doing, but dunno how to do them on a 1.2? anyone?

Hope u get it sorted. :D

Manta Mad
04-02-03, 08:38 PM
All 1.2s had electronic ignition so no points to worry about. Would agree with checking out all the above, if any of the bits have deteriorated, damp could get in and cause the problems you describe. As a short term measure, when the engine is playing up, spray WD40 over the plugs/lead/s/dizzy cap and see if this helps ? this would also indicate a damp problem.

Other thing worth checking is that the small ducting tube is in place to pick up intake air (heated) through the exhaust and that the mechanism inside the air intake is working correctly to pick up the hot air when cold.

If this system is not working and its drawing in cold air all the time ? could also give you these symptoms.

flair
05-02-03, 12:44 PM
yea you said try the rotery arm n stuff.. a few weeks back i had all the plugs and leads replaced i even had a new rotery arm put in becuase that was shagged.... 2 weeks later my engine is still sloppy in the morning :(

Nova_Tek
05-02-03, 01:10 PM
U tried using sum cleanin stuff like redex petrol treatment :?:

Could be dat ur jets/injectors arent fully open and a lil blocked :x also get sum carb/injector cleaner to clear out da carbon build up!

I had da same problem and i just cleaned da carb using redex, u'll see all da crap come out da exhaust and once all da stuff has burnt thru da engine should be a lil beter! :D

burgessovsalford
05-02-03, 01:47 PM
If you clean your carb & it still is'nt that then your timing will prob need adjustingt!! this may be the answer as I have had ur problems for weeks & changed all the leads, dissy & everything. But when u mess with the dissy your suppost to adjust the timing so its firing right.

Had my timing adjusted this morning & my engine is purring like a cat :lol: