PDA

View Full Version : Gears sticking (clutch adjustment)

GTE TURBZ
29-05-09, 11:21 AM
Hi peep hope someone can help, just been noticing for the past few days all the gears have started to stick, almost at times you can feel the gears slightly grinding when attempting to engage, cars only due 60K so dont think its the cluch itself, I'm suspecting that i need to adjust the clutch cable, but i thought they were self adjusting anyway.

Any ideas :confused:

Rickardo
29-05-09, 11:27 AM
what gearbox is in it???:thumb:

GTE TURBZ
29-05-09, 11:31 AM
what gearbox is in it???:thumb:

Standard GTE box f13

burgo
29-05-09, 11:33 AM
there deffinetly not self adjusting. what you can try is on the clutch cable at the gearbox end is a little plastic thingy (dont know what its called) basically wind this out abit and try it

Rickardo
29-05-09, 11:44 AM
In my old astra gte, the gear's used to stick, i'd be tempted to check the oil level in the box as well. :)

GTE TURBZ
29-05-09, 12:08 PM
there deffinetly not self adjusting. what you can try is on the clutch cable at the gearbox end is a little plastic thingy (dont know what its called) basically wind this out abit and try it

Does it sound like a clutch adjusting issue

burgo
29-05-09, 12:09 PM
not sure. takes 30 seconds to do tho so its worth a try

GTE TURBZ
29-05-09, 12:16 PM
Thanks people

mikey14sr
29-05-09, 02:23 PM

Little white block that screws onto the cable and sits in the fork of the clutch arm, you need to wind it on further to take up stretch in the cable.

novaguy08
29-05-09, 04:48 PM
erm, i had similar symptoms on my nova and after a few months the clutch wont come off the floor!

Pop the inspection plate off and make sure that the bolt that holds the clutch fork aint broken or popped off! otherwise you will end up not being able to get it off the floor & it stuck in gear.

Nova_Tek
29-05-09, 06:33 PM
Is the clutch pedal at the same level as the brake pedal? If not, then do the little plastic adjuster thingy on the clutch cable as mentioned by the fellas.

If the pedal is at the same level then its probably something else.

Mark Sparks
29-05-09, 08:17 PM
sound like ajustment but if its crunching into gear it may be the cluch i changed one on a corsa the other day and that had only done 36k. dont worry its a simple job with the right tools. its about 20 quid for a cluch kit and anly takes 30 mins

GTE TURBZ
30-05-09, 01:44 PM
Right i adjusted the clutch but didn't solve, took it to my local mechanic, who said its the gear linkage unit/kit thats knacked. He was inspecting the linkage as i was in the car changing gears thus came to that conclusion. Also said he aint done one on a nova but the symptons were same on a corsa which he changed and solved. Checked with Euro car parts said it was a main dealer part.

Welsh Dan
30-05-09, 03:19 PM
Look in the tutorial section, you can adapt a knackered linkage into a rose jointed one.