PDA

View Full Version : What can cause a half spark? 2 plugs out of 4 (XE)

ST-eater
28-05-09, 05:40 PM
Hiya... as some of you may already know i have an XE that came to me as a non runner, and i wanted to try and sort the problems out and let my friend have the car...

The car refused to start, and all the wiring had been subject to water damage. I removed all the engine loom, and fixed all the internal wiring so i now have all the instruments etc.

The car had a problem where it wouldnt spark on 2+3 but would be fine on 1+4...

I put it down to wiring and have just fitted a new loom today, with a different ecu and i have the same problem.

I did try a working dizzy (complete), fuel pump relay, working CPS and a working coil + Ign mod, HT leads, yet i still only come up with the two outer leads sparking..

Is there anything else that can effect the spark, or anything mechanical? The fuel pump doesnt seem to want to prime either, not sure if its already at the pressure or theres an issue with something somewhere.

AlexW
28-05-09, 05:57 PM
Not all fuel pumps prime with ign on.

Apart from that i cant really help, does seem uber weird

Lee
28-05-09, 05:57 PM
Might be worth trying a crank sensor possibly.

Adam
28-05-09, 06:25 PM
Its definently a dizzy engine and not dispak yeah???

My xe dont prime with ignition.

Will F
28-05-09, 06:44 PM
XE's prime the pump when you crank, not ign.

dougie_boi
28-05-09, 10:28 PM
could be one of the small earths on the loom near the injectors are iirc theres 3 of them but couldnt say for definate.

ST-eater
29-05-09, 12:00 AM
Checked the earth, and the problem with the pump was a loose connection on the pump under the car. We have had the car running, and then nothing... going to swap the crank sensor, then if no luck the hall sensor.