PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Fuel Leak!

beavy69
27-05-09, 12:51 PM
Hey all, I have a fuel leak and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas before I drain the tank and remove etc.

I have a 1.3L's tank and elec fuel pump supplying twin 40's with a standard pressure reg and return.

Get the leak only after filling up. Leaks only for a while and by morning fuel gauge says full, no further leak and all's well.

I've very thoroughly checked the supply and return hoses (waggling them under car while its running with a spotlight - dry as a bone, no evidence of pressure build up even after 15mins - leak starts sooner than this after filling tank)

I dont think its the filler hose/pipe as I've noticed (in bad light) the dripping appears to be coming from the middle where the hoses are (hense the above checks)

Could it be some sort of overflow hole or is it more likely to be an undesigred hole?

Pistol Pete
27-05-09, 12:57 PM
Anti syphon ball?? Have a search...been covered a fair bit recently.

novasaloon1984
27-05-09, 01:01 PM
that wouldnt cause that.

i cant think of anything that would only make it leak from the TANK when filling up. it would leak all the time if it was the tank

draper
27-05-09, 01:25 PM
are you filling it right to the very top ? maybe its leaking out the overflow/vent pipe coming of the tank ?

failing that get a mate under the car when you next fill up lol

Guderian
27-05-09, 05:25 PM
Air return hose perished? (approx 12mm bore, goes from the steel filler pipe, through a hole in the chassis, to the tank.)