PDA

View Full Version : www.autosprint.co.uk??/ Cam change advice?

Nobby
25-05-09, 03:03 PM
Hi guys just been nosing through this months TV and found this company that is based in Birmingham. Im looking to do some upgrades to my xe and. I was just wondering if anyone had used this company and what they think?

The plan is to buy some fast road cams they list several ie
Hydaulic, Solid etc etc? They qoute £165.50 + vat for a set fo fast road cams with exchange for you standard 1s? So im assuming they are reprofiled?
Is this a bad thing? also is the lifters what makes the tappety sound on a xe im assuming it would be good to change these also??

Cheers:thumb:

Mike
25-05-09, 03:06 PM
Highly recommened IMO chap, speak to Oli about them (DH Dev) as his engine is mostly parts from A-S.

Nobby
25-05-09, 03:10 PM
Highly recommened IMO chap, speak to Oli about them (DH Dev) as his engine is mostly parts from A-S.

ooooo sounds good, any help with what cam i would need hydaulic solid etc?? I dont want a hardcore race engine just go abit quicker lol and any help with the tappety noise?? cheers??

Mike
25-05-09, 03:13 PM
ooooo sounds good, any help with what cam i would need hydaulic solid etc?? I dont want a hardcore race engine just go abit quicker lol and any help with the tappety noise?? cheers??

Go a bit quicker? Sell that 2 tonne crock of sh1t belmont an get something lighter, far more easy on the eye & cost effective.

Graeme
25-05-09, 03:15 PM
Iirc they do four variations for the xe, the two most extreme need pocketed pistons and only the mildest one will run on standard management

Nobby
25-05-09, 03:16 PM
Go a bit quicker? Sell that 2 tonne crock of sh1t belmont an get something lighter, far more easy on the eye & cost effective.

tutut lol the belmont ways foooook all!! I embarresed a xe nova the other night!! ;)

Mike
25-05-09, 03:32 PM
Whats saying the other driver was trying?

Adam
25-05-09, 03:34 PM
Yes the £170 cams from AS are regrinds which arent really a good thing.
They do give ok gains though apparently.

Nobby
25-05-09, 03:35 PM
Whats saying the other driver was trying?

lol Trust me he was ;) have you heard whats going on down Telford way these days?

Adam
25-05-09, 03:36 PM
tutut lol the belmont ways foooook all!! I embarresed a xe nova the other night!! ;)
The xe nova was running on 3 then lol

150hp in 900 kg vs 150hp in about 1100-1200kg???

Anyway, staying on topic :)

Nobby
25-05-09, 03:36 PM
Yes the £170 cams from AS are regrinds which arent really a good thing.
They do give ok gains though apparently.

i did think that mate. I suppose they give a warranty? Would i be able to run these on standard managment?

Adam
25-05-09, 03:39 PM
The "fast road" ones yeah

Nobby
25-05-09, 03:40 PM
The "fast road" ones yeah

cheers mate i think i will give them a buzz tommorow:D

dhdev (Oli)
25-05-09, 05:07 PM
I've been running a lot of Autosprint stuff for a long time - cams (re-grinds), headwork, double valve springs, L+B bottom end, lightened flywheel, re-bored/honed block, and he fitted my pistons/oil pump for me. Geoff is a top bloke to deal with, his costs are low cos he has minimal overheads, does the work out of his shed (one hell of a shed mind!). My engine is tappety, but has been super good, 193bhp from a 1.6 with Hydraulic tappets and mild cams is bloody good going! He doesn't offer a warranty as traditionally he supplies race engines and you can't warranty something that is used so hard. Definately worth going to!
P.s my mate races a Golf GTI 16V, originally in the VLN endurance series and now in Britcar and has exceptional reliability from the engine (using AS bits)