PDA

View Full Version : Battery Trouble

Evolution
01-02-03, 01:13 PM
The very day my car is taxed and ready to go, i am up at 9am with the plan on visiting my ex as we are friends (hopefully more again soon) and going for a wee drive.
My bastard car doesnt start!! There was no life in the battery, the dials didnt even move, and the ignition wouldnt even attempt to turn over. really annoyed at this. My first car, 1ltr nova did this a lot. the battery would decide not to work every so often. i really hope it isnt a long term running problem i will get with novas.
I have the battery on charge just now but i am stumped as to why this morning the battery was flat.
I hadnt left anything on, its started first time everytime before when ive been sitting in it in the drive eager to take her for a spin. and now......nothing zero zilch.
The car was frozen over with ice and was really cold this morning but that shouldnt acount for a flat battery :cry:

Manta Mad
01-02-03, 06:58 PM
If you are sure nothing has been left on overnight (check boot light) then it sounds like either your battery is failing or not getting charged properly while the engine running, you can get a multimeter that will test the alternator output to see if this is OK.

With the weather being as cold as it is - this often catches out batterys that are getting past their best.

Chris LR
01-02-03, 07:56 PM
How long has the battery been on the car? They're far from good after 4-5 years.

Have you fitted any ice, moble charger at all?

TomSR
01-02-03, 08:12 PM
The water in the cells might have frozen, actually, check if there is any water left in the cells, this happens to me. Mine was bone dry, so topped up with rainwater. If your cells are dry, top up with rain water that hasn't touched ANYTHING Metal! Use a plastic jug

Chris LR
01-02-03, 08:19 PM
Don't be a tight arse, buy a bottle of de-ionised water for a couple of quid.

TomSR
01-02-03, 10:14 PM
Lol, Rainwater saved me enough for two extra pints on the weekend 8)

jettasrfab
01-02-03, 10:24 PM
of course cold whether affects your battery cold batterys never charge properly, plus if you drive round with your fogs on all the time you will be using all the power and not charging it up enough one short journies. out of interest do you drive aroudn with your fogs on?

TomSR
01-02-03, 11:13 PM
How do you know he even has fogs!?

jettasrfab
01-02-03, 11:17 PM
just guessing cause all the lads roung here cruise with them on, and thye have fu**ed battery's, ok i know i have a sig that slags novas but i ain't here to start a fight just cruising aroudn to see what you lads are up to

locky
01-02-03, 11:29 PM
Open up the cells at the top and smell for a sulphuric smell (eggy farts :lol: ) if it smells like this its nackerd!
And, as others sed, look 4 no water!

Evolution
03-02-03, 01:15 AM
I just jump started it with a spare battery and all is well now. While you mention it, it could have been the boot light, as when i took it for a test drive after getting it started, the car rattled a lot and when i got home i noticed the boot wasnt shut properly :oops:
Anyway thanks for the tips and advice! and no i dont have fogs, and even if i did i dont drive around like a boy racer :)