PDA

View Full Version : urgent help needed

deanwilko
23-05-09, 04:41 PM
changed 1000cc engine to 1300 sport but ever since there has bin no power to coil all fuses look ok any help would be very helpful

mowgli
23-05-09, 04:54 PM
the clear coated wire from the ignition switch is usually the problem, it is actually a 4ft long resistor so that the 1.0 coil runs at 6v, but has a link from the starter so that it has 12v for cranking over...

have you swapped the coil over or stuck with the old one????

if you have swapped the coil, then you will need to trace the clear coated wire all the way back to the ign switch & replace it with a normal piece of wire. then it should work fine.. people doing the efi conversions from the 1.0 always have this problem too.

deanwilko
23-05-09, 05:08 PM
ive used the coil of my 1.4 sr so i need to remove the clear wire from the ignition switch where abouts does the wire finish

mowgli
23-05-09, 05:14 PM
ive used the coil of my 1.4 sr so i need to remove the clear wire from the ignition switch where abouts does the wire finish

it runs from the ign switch, out in the engine loom & fed power to the original 1.0 coil. you will find that there is only one of them in the loom.

deanwilko
23-05-09, 05:21 PM
on my coil there was a green and a black wire onto it

mowgli
23-05-09, 05:57 PM
on my coil there was a green and a black wire onto it

on a 1.0, there should be 3 wires to the coil.

the clear one from the ignition switch..
the black one from the extra connection on the starter motor
the green one to the rev counter & distributor.

on a 1.4sr, there should be
a black one fed from the ignition switch, which connects to a red one to the distributor
a green one for the rev counter
a brown one to the distributor

now, if you are using the 1.0 loom, then the wiring to the starter on a 1.4 will be wrong, & the 'boost' lead wil be redundant.

without seeing the car in person, I'm not in a very good position to tell you exactly what has happened, but the ign to coil wire must have been cut off at some point.

deanwilko
23-05-09, 06:34 PM
there was only a black and green wire onto the coil itself and im using the 1litre loom

mowgli
23-05-09, 06:45 PM
ok, well trace the black wire back & see if it is connected to the clear one further back then.

did you reuse the 1.0 starter motor? or use the ohc one, i can't remember if they interchange.....

is there any voltage at all on the black wire when the ignition lights are on???

deanwilko
23-05-09, 06:49 PM
ive taced the blackwire back and taken off the clear wire also taken off on the ignition end and put a piece of wire in

im not using the 1ltr starter

deanwilko
23-05-09, 07:00 PM
im getin 9 .7 volts on crank with the clear wire removed

deanwilko
23-05-09, 07:04 PM
anyone

mowgli
23-05-09, 07:07 PM
well, if you've replaced the clear wire, and the other wires are connected, ie: the ones to the dizzy, then it should start working.....

deanwilko
23-05-09, 07:09 PM
replaced the clear wire that goes from the connection on the ignition to the blackwire on the plug that goes down to the starter and the car filled with smoke

deanwilko
23-05-09, 07:25 PM
there is no ignition what should be ignition the car just constantly cranks

deanwilko
23-05-09, 08:08 PM
anyone

mowgli
23-05-09, 08:09 PM
take the black wire off the starter immediately, on an ohc engine it is redundant.

you should have a normal wire to replace the clear one.
this will provide power to the coil.
there are some wires from the coil to the dizzy ( a red one & a brown one???).
there is a green one that works the rev counter.
if put on right & the ht leads are put on in the right order, then the dizzy will have sparks

mowgli
23-05-09, 08:12 PM
i think you need to post up some piccys of the coil & dizzy with as much detail on as you can get.

deanwilko
23-05-09, 08:29 PM
with the ignition on i get 11.8 volts on the black wire and 11.8 volts on the green wire aswell

mowgli
23-05-09, 09:17 PM
the green wire should not have a constant voltage. so I am guessing the coil is wired wrong

for a 1400 ohc
black/clear and red (wire to dizzy) should be to connection 15
green & brown should be to connection 1

with the old 1.0 loom,
black/clear should be to connection 15
green is the wire to the dizzy (brown on the ohc engine.

what wires have you got coming out of the dizzy???

deanwilko
23-05-09, 10:09 PM
heres what wires ive got
green wire
blackwire from starter
and the two wires that come off the dizzy
which are pink and brown

mowgli
24-05-09, 11:21 AM
the black wire from the starter needs to be taken off the starter & connected to where the clear wire came out of the ignition switch.

then the circuit is exactly as gm intended it to be, unless you have connected it wrong to the coil. I can't help with that cos I don't have a 1400 coil to look at.

deanwilko
24-05-09, 11:39 AM
ive taken off the clear wire off the ignition switch and where the black wire is for the starter and where black wire is also joined for the coil ive put a piece of wire from the where the clear wire comes of the ignition and to where it connects onto the black wires is that correct

mowgli
24-05-09, 11:43 AM
ive taken off the clear wire off the ignition switch and where the black wire is for the starter and where black wire is also joined for the coil ive put a piece of wire from the where the clear wire comes of the ignition and to where it connects onto the black wires is that correct

yes. now have you got rid of the black wire connection to the starter from the coil? cos it is redundant on the ohc engine..

deanwilko
24-05-09, 12:05 PM
yes i have wired it from the back of the ignition to the black wire onto the coil

mowgli
24-05-09, 12:34 PM
then unless there is a component failure, the car should spark.

deanwilko
24-05-09, 01:18 PM
heres whats happening ive got 12 volts on the coil 12 inti the dizzy and 12 down the coil lead but no spark im using new leads and plugs and its electronic ignition as ive just found out