PDA

View Full Version : ways to keep your car safe....

Curtoise
23-05-09, 10:07 AM
hi guys as you may know i have just passed, my nova doesnt have an imobiliser or alarm, only thing it has is the standard steering lock is this sufficiant as i cannot afford a alarm, and is there a fuse for the ignition that i could remove or any other easy manual way to stop the car from starting ? thanks

Spudly
23-05-09, 10:10 AM
Take your king lead off and or one of your plug leads or simply pop off the dizzy cap and remove the rotor arm are the easiest ones, or you could wire in a hidden switch on the ignition feed under the dash:thumb:

bedford8256
you could run a switched live from the ignition and put the switch in a hidden area that way if some 1 did brake in and snap ur steering lock at least when they tried to hot wire it they wouldnt get anywhere as the live would be switched off. home made immobiliser :)

Mike
Dude get yourself an alarm & immob fitted!

Steering locks are pap, back in 2004 my SR got robbed & when it was recovered it became apparent they'd cut the disc lock in half with a block torch!

Spudly
23-05-09, 10:12 AM
And also anything other than the steering locks that fully encase the wheel can simply be cut off by cutting through the steering wheel itself, as said get an alarm fitted, places like gap security do monthly payment plans for someone such as yourself who cannot afford it outright.

Said it before though, snap-off wheels FTW:thumb:

bedford8256
23-05-09, 10:14 AM
clifford also do a pay monthly option may be worth getting in touch

Pistol Pete
23-05-09, 10:26 AM
Fitting an alarm may also help bring your insurance down. Other ways help, but for peace of mind i would only trust a decent alarm.

bmw156
23-05-09, 10:28 AM
i also want to get an alarm, as my steering lock is broken!!!

with these pay monthly plans, do they come and install it as well??

bedford8256
23-05-09, 10:29 AM
i have an alarm and immobilier on mine but ehres always a way around it if some 1 wants ur car they will get it, mines gargaged in a lock up i have gear lock aswell but if i was leave it out on the street id definetly be doing a few mods to prevent it being stolen

bedford8256
23-05-09, 10:29 AM
yes its supplied and fitted, they advertise in most car mags

Pistol Pete
23-05-09, 10:52 AM
Cant remember the name of the company, but they came to my house and fitted my Clifford. Some do it at your place of work aswell.

Curtoise
23-05-09, 12:40 PM
hi what is the king lead? lol yeh those monthly options sound good, ile have a wok with the parents

AlexW
23-05-09, 12:43 PM
King lead is the 1 lead from the coil to the centre of the dizzy.

A decent alarm/imobliser is a must IMO, And the insurance will only come down if its a thacham approved alarm and fitted by a qualified auto electrican.

Curtoise
23-05-09, 12:48 PM
right yeh im sure i spoke to a guy who fits them, cant remember who tho, it wasnt u was it AWO6?

Dave.
23-05-09, 12:48 PM
Ive got this on mine, not the best pic but its the only one i have:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/x_novadose_x/DSC00134-3.jpg

basically its a 6mm thick chain with 2 padlocks, remove your drivers seat, wrap the chain around the mounting bracket and bolt it back down to the floor, then secure it with a padlock

then whenever you lock the car up, just wrap the wheel around one of the spokes of the wheel (harder to cut) and padlock it into place

ill get some better pics next week :thumb:

AlexW
23-05-09, 12:50 PM
Dave you realise all the Theif has to do is cut the steering wheel in those 2 places and hes away?

And Yes its me who fits them, all tho im never doing a nova again, Unless i get bum love

mowgli
23-05-09, 04:46 PM
curtoise, isn't your car an spi model????

get a cut off switch fitted to your fuel pump....

Mazz
23-05-09, 04:46 PM
These are more to slow them down imo, but a good idea - they are cheaper on amazon though..

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=R/B1000.01

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richbrook-DIS-CAR-NECT-Battery-Cut-Off-Switch/dp/B0019ULCPW

Ste L
23-05-09, 05:06 PM
if the engine is an fuel injected engine, whip the ECU out, i used to do that with mine, when after i had an alarm fitted still used to remove it

Benn
23-05-09, 05:13 PM
Tbh if they brake in and cant start it, they'll burn it.

Dont park any where unsafe/dodgy is the best start.

Curtoise
23-05-09, 05:13 PM
yeh howd u do this madness?

Curtoise
23-05-09, 05:15 PM
Tbh if they brake in and cant start it, they'll burn it.

Dont park any where unsafe/dodgy is the best start.

yeh this is why i need an alarm i think so if they do get in and cant start it, i will know they have and can go and "see them"

mowgli
23-05-09, 05:19 PM
wire a changeover switch from the fuel pump wire to a latching relay & on to a horn in the inside of your car. if they try anything, it will make their ears bleed & get the neighbours out......

napalm_27
23-05-09, 05:28 PM
the chain round the steering wheel wont stop a set of bolt croppers so why waste your time even bothering lol
the best bet is remove your hazard light switch every time you leave your car
put a switch on your fuel pump wire or remove the relay
but 100% get a decent alarm my cobra one on my old nova was good only tapped the wheel and it went off
same as my calibra had a total security alarm on that and that had full closure and only had to walk past it to close and it would bleep :thumb:

mowgli
23-05-09, 06:00 PM
/\/\ round my area, people just see a car alarm as an annoyance & turn the volume up on their telly.... nobody goes out to check any more... so if you happen to be near your car, then fine, but if you are out of earshot, then it won't make the blindest bit of difference

Joe Richardson
23-05-09, 06:01 PM
Ive got a disklock on mine:thumb:

mowgli
23-05-09, 06:04 PM
about the best way to protect your car is not to tell any strangers anything about it, however friendly & inquisitive they are... I had a load of theft attempts with my old one, cos some idiot mechanic blabbed to his mates about this quick beige hatch that he'd motted & done some brake work on

blue_peg_16v
23-05-09, 06:45 PM
rotty on the back seat

mowgli
23-05-09, 06:48 PM
rotty on the back seat

till some sodding do-gooder calls out the rozzers or rspca & insists that the animal is in distress so that someone will force the lock or smash the window to get the poor little puppy out & find it a nice home... so you end up with a broken into car, thus FAIL

AlexW
23-05-09, 06:56 PM
Its not the alarm bit that is the main thing, its the Imobliser bit that is most inportant.

blue_peg_16v
23-05-09, 07:00 PM
last time i had a cat 2 imobalizer fitted it wa only £90.

Spudly
23-05-09, 07:13 PM
the best bet is remove your hazard light switch every time you leave your car

Cos thats gonna stop them black boxing it and snapping the steering lock, it just means after they have hotwired and stolen your car they wont be able to indicate at junctions:roll:

Curtoise
23-05-09, 09:08 PM
yeh defo gonna do something, when i leave it over night somewhere dodgy i will surley remove the king lead, and mostly i would like a alarm as my car got rolled outside my house as i was tucked in bed oblivious....... so alarm is defo gonna be put on

michaelawson
27-05-09, 04:16 PM
listen to that spudly m8 ... ive done it on mine but fed it throught into the driver door and into a little pocket inside the plastic part on the door card ;) nice lil trick, but the first thing i did

Jack
27-05-09, 04:47 PM
Novas are dead easy to fit alarms & immobilisers to. Ask your insurance company about savings for thatcham certified installs, as tbh if you're going to spend £300 on having an alarm installed but only save £50 on your insurance, whats the point?

Dave, that chain is crap. A decent bolt shear would have that off in seconds... and tbh some chav is more likely to do it just to p!ss you off lol

If you're worried about the car alerting you if its being tampered with, what about an alarm with a pager unit? Cost goes up then though :(

burgo
27-05-09, 04:53 PM
i just remove my king lead everynight. pain in the **** having to spend 10 seconds everyday removing and refitting it but its easier than walking

Johnny A
27-05-09, 10:05 PM
A big black bouncer called Dave who lives in your boot, he is armed with fig rolls and a bit of 2x4 with a rusty nail in it.

Ernie
27-05-09, 10:14 PM
my ECU is next to me now.

dj_wudgey
27-05-09, 10:41 PM
A big black bouncer called Dave who lives in your boot, he is armed with fig rolls and a bit of 2x4 with a rusty nail in it.

:thumb: that would keep it safe lol