PDA

View Full Version : flush tailgate

SRking
01-02-03, 09:28 AM
I HV A NOVA 1.2 SXI AND I AM PLANNIN ON HV THE FLUSH TAILGATE LOOK WHICH LOOKS TOPCLASS. BUT HOW D U THEN OPEN THE BOOT. DO U HV ONE OF THOSE SWITCHES INSIDE THE CAR IF SO WHERE BOUTS DOES IT GO. IF NOT HOW DOES IT WORK

WUD MUCH APPRECIATE REPLIES

MATT

Chris LR
01-02-03, 07:52 PM
You'll need to find & fit a solenoid, this is a electrical device which can be used to push things a small distance, eg, door pinds when used with remote locking.

If you put a small foam pad inbetween the boot and the body the boot will naturally bounce out when it becomes unlocked, So when you energize the solenoid it will pop enough for you to get your fingers under.

I haven't done this mod myself, I'm sure someone who has will provide a better answer. And an easy way of doing it.

Tazzy
01-02-03, 08:14 PM
also, there is two materials you can use to flush the boot, metal and fibre glass (i think) i was told not have the fibre glass as it will literally crack and cause problems!

my brother was going to flush his Astra GTE, but he was thinking about the mondeo/306 set up were there is a lever under the drivers seat which will open the boot once pulled, not sure if this is possible though!

is it?

cheerz!

supernova1983
02-02-03, 09:53 AM
i had it done to mine and the bodyshop used a metal plate much stronger.the body shop put a lever on inside si i could open it ok if u dont use ur boot alot but a right pain leaning over seats etc to open it

should be geting the boot release added to my alarm much easier

Anton
02-02-03, 11:29 AM
get one already made and sprayed to your colour. Alot cheaper (see my 1.2 in features) then get a solenoid (most cars on the scrappy) then either link it to your alarm or somesort of button on the dash.

You know it makes sense

oh and go for a plate welded in rather than fibre glass, much stronger and will probably last longer.

Tazzy
02-02-03, 02:54 PM
but ones that are being sold are difficult to come across, unless you buy the whole car!

Tazzy
02-02-03, 05:34 PM
itll probably cost you about a tenner to do the job!

this text is not mine, i pasted it from a nova site (cant remember which one) because i planned to do it to mine, but no longer am!

but this is the info, there are pics, but i cant get them on here!

its all on the solenoid motor, cheap as chips to get,

1) Remove the trim coverings of your boot lid!

2) The next thing to do is remove the original pushbutton lock, held on by two screws inside your bootlid, Undo these and pull the lock through as you no longer need this! Fit the motor into your car (in a pic i dont have)

3) Just the one screw ought to hold it. Use a pair of pliers to manipulate the supplied rod into the shape and attach it to the original using the screw clamp bracket!

4) There are two wires attached to the motor one blue and one green. The motor will work whichever way you connect them round but need the motor to push in order to open the boot. To do this, connect the green wire to earth. Find a suitable point and sand it down to get a good connection. Cut the bullet connector off the end and crimp on an earthing eye and attach to your sanded down point with a self-tapping screw!

5) The blue wire can go to one of two places. If you have wiring for a rear wiper and are no longer using your rear wiper as you have smoothed off you boot then you can attach the blue wire from the motor to the live terminal from this and use the switch for your rear wiper to operate the release mechanism!

6) If you don’t have a rear wiper then you will have to run a single wire up the bootlid, across the gap between the bootlid and the car, down the C pillar, inside the rear quarter and underneath the door sill cover into your dash. From here connect it to your switch and mount in a convenient location. Attach the other side of the switch to a permanent 12v supply usually any solid red wire in your dash!

i understood it, easy as making pie (only, i dont know how to make pie!)

Chris LR
02-02-03, 07:18 PM
Ah-ha heres an idea.

If you have a rear wiper, why not remove it, flush over it and use the power supply to activate the solenoid?

No stupid looking buttons on your dash and no need to rip your car apart for a couple of wires?

The wiper motor might even be fused, so it's extra safe!

mikeoxford
02-02-03, 08:53 PM
Ah-ha heres an idea.

If you have a rear wiper, why not remove it, flush over it and use the power supply to activate the solenoid?

No stupid looking buttons on your dash and no need to rip your car apart for a couple of wires?

The wiper motor might even be fused, so it's extra safe!

PLEASE wire a relay in though, so the circuit is inoperable with the ignitnion on. otherwise u WILL accidently hit it and send ur boot flying open - at speeds that ent to clever

the guide for relay is on nova-land

Chris LR
02-02-03, 09:00 PM
Yeah but opening your boot whilst on the move gives you a huge spoiler.

Fester
02-02-03, 09:38 PM
LOL

Tazzy
03-02-03, 01:44 PM
another idea i had was, say for example, you want to flush your bootlid, but dontn want to be messin with the electrics, as you havnt got a clue (like me) then what i thought was blend in a cavalier locking door handle, as well as blending non-locking door handles into the doors to give it that co-ordinated look!

that why, you could keep the solenoid, and safly lock it, is it possible?

Wiggie
05-02-03, 08:51 PM
Has any one ever tried welding it themselves?? if so can you give some guidence?i spoze youd have to take an angle grinder to it afterward? then fillered?

Tazzy
06-02-03, 01:10 AM
check out mikes www.nova-land.com

i do know about 30 other nova dedication sites, if i can find all the addresses, ill post them up (if thats ok with the admins?)

mikeoxford
07-02-03, 11:36 AM
Yeah but opening your boot whilst on the move gives you a huge spoiler.

lol a bit like the porchses with automatic spoilers that pop up!?!? :lol:

mikeoxford
07-02-03, 12:14 PM
the guide on the external how to section of my site links to ben copeland site has quite a few pictures and also is from his own experience...... gives a few tips etc