PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Fuel tank...

Neil.
31-01-03, 08:39 PM
my fuel tank is leaking and it's all soaked through, normaly put ?10 in but decided to put a full tank in, this was the last straw for it, big wet patch near the front of the tank, how much am i looking at for a new one?

Cheers

Dicko
31-01-03, 08:40 PM
new i think is ?80 from motor factors

Evolution
31-01-03, 09:01 PM
Alternativly, depending on the size of the hole you can plug with with special stuff that fuel doesnt erode. i forget the name of the stuff, but it could save you some money if you dont mind getting your hands dirty.

Fester
31-01-03, 09:16 PM
?80 will get you a new pattern part, worth it if youre intending to keep the car for any length of time. ?10 to ?20 for scrappy/small ads tank

ade
31-01-03, 10:11 PM
obviously uyouve stopped driving the car and drained the tank!

:o

Only takes a muppet to lob a fag out of the window of a passing car for it to go under yours and pop!

You can buy stuff called miliput its an epoxy modeling clay that can plug holes etc but its much safer getting a new tank. Changing them is pretty easy - its getting the fuel out without causing a spark thats the hard bit

:twisted:

Wear rubber gloves and wrap all tools in rags... (it aint that bad but be careful)

Ade

Manta Mad
31-01-03, 10:32 PM
I had to put a new tank in mine, got fed up with only putting in ?10 at a time and the constant stench of petrol in the car. Got a good quality new tank from a motor factor for ?63 + vat - they are easy to fit just go easy when you remove the sender unit - especially if its the plastic bodied one that unscrews to remove.

Never had much luck before with the epoxy type repair putty.

Neil.
01-02-03, 11:44 AM
phoning up today to get it sorted. not sure when it'll be done.

It's not leaking badly, it's like sometimes it will and other times it wont. i swear this car is set out to cause me problems!

might bit a peddle bike!

seli
06-02-03, 04:45 AM
the magic word or name is Epoxy-kitt butt it depends if its a hole or sveting. if a hole its fore you. its great and u cane save your self the mony and time. and rather use the time to hugg your car i know i do :oops: