PDA

View Full Version : AA Or Rac?

BIGS
21-05-09, 06:38 PM
Ive just joined the rac and wondering if i made the right choice? Are rac good as a whole? or should i of gone with aa.

Southie
21-05-09, 06:39 PM
Why didn't you ask this before joining one of them lol

BIGS
21-05-09, 06:43 PM
lol Well i would of but it was 20% off today only so thought id take the chance. just hoping ive made the right choice.
Please tell me i have lol

Southie
21-05-09, 06:46 PM
Which cover did you get? Full uk coverage pick up anywhere or home start only?

I used to have full rac cover and they were very very good. It was £135 a year for me and ar lass. The only reason I changed to the AA was that I got of free with my visa card :) Still full coverage as well.

BIGS
21-05-09, 06:51 PM
I got road side recovery, personal but the road side is take me anywhere i want in the uk. I didnt pay all in full i wantd to pay monthly. He said with the discount its £8.22 a month which i think isnt to bad. But not done this before i could be wrong lol . But the way the car has been i needed something if im going to go to pvs :roll:

Christ
21-05-09, 06:54 PM
I asked google the very same question last night lol! I was with AA years and tbh the three times my nova broke down they always sent someone out within the hour.

I looked last night and AA with relay is like half the price of the RAC version so I would go with the AA again.

keithrg
21-05-09, 06:57 PM
personally unless desperate neither. both useless along with green flag in my experience

Steve
Green flag for me. Mostly because my dad pays for it. lol

Southie
£96 for the year ain't bad if they are picking you up on route and take you to you destination. Iirc you get 7 callouts a year as well.

Just drive halfway to pv and use them. You will save on fuel lol

BIGS
21-05-09, 06:58 PM
oh right well i can cancel my membership after a month if im not happy

BIGS
21-05-09, 07:00 PM
£96 for the year ain't bad if they are picking you up on route and take you to you destination. Iirc you get 7 callouts a year as well.

Just drive halfway to pv and use them. You will save on fuel lol

Na ill do it on the way home lol . im going to make it one year and not be late

Christ
21-05-09, 07:03 PM
Another thing about these firms is make sure they deal with modified cars, My nova XE broke down and the guy looked under the bonnet and said 'Im not supposed to fix modified cars' but he did anyway, which was nice. But had it happened at the end of his shift he could have just told me to GTFO>

Southie
21-05-09, 07:04 PM
Na ill do it on the way home lol . im going to make it one year and not be late
lol

BIGS
21-05-09, 07:04 PM
Well the guy i was speaking to asked about the car. and i told him it was all modified and what ive done. And he didnt say anything about that.

Lee
21-05-09, 07:56 PM
TBH they are all crap now the recovery drivers have to conform to tacho rules.

Look for my PV hell thread and you will get the idea why. It really makes you realise why the AA call it 'Relay' as they kept sending me drivers who only had an hour left before their break. Took 11 hours to get back from the M40 to bristol.

BIGS
21-05-09, 08:04 PM
TBH they are all crap now the recovery drivers have to conform to tacho rules.

Look for my PV hell thread and you will get the idea why. It really makes you realise why the AA call it 'Relay' as they kept sending me drivers who only had an hour left before their break. Took 11 hours to get back from the M40 to bristol.

I remember that now you say that. Didnt you have like 3 or 4 that came out to you?

MK999
21-05-09, 08:05 PM
cost me (my dad) a tenner to add me to his AA thing, I came home and he handed me a card and said since you're driving about everywhere now I added you on this, result! lol

Jack
21-05-09, 08:10 PM
RAC for me. Always been good and quick the few times I've had to call them

blue_peg_16v
21-05-09, 08:22 PM
thank christ you dint pick greenflag, absolut toss had a clutch cable go so they recovered me home all well and good and wa happy, but rac are so much better had the same problem wi them and they made me a temperary clutch cable to get me home, so much better no one wants to go home on a flat bed

Royston
21-05-09, 08:30 PM
I've been with the AA for 20+ years, haven't had to use them too much over the years, useful to have especially with all the cars I use/have access to.

Also it covers you so, it is usefulif you break down in someone elses car!(think the RAC is the same)

2 years ago I have an engine fault on my range rover whilst in Dorset with the caravan. They brought us all the way home - 330 miles.

Never had a problem with them

Service has always been reasonable/good, the only exceptions are for instance in the middle of winter on a really poor day when everyone has broken down with failed batteries/damp i.e. the service is overloaded, but I'm sure all breakdown services will be similar

craig green
21-05-09, 10:49 PM
I used to get RAC free with a bank account years back, on one occasion I broke down 12 miles from home in Taunton (the next town) at 9.45 in the evening. When calling them, I was on hold so long my battery went flat, bit of an issue for PAYG users too. Anyway. By the time an operator sent someone, RAC switch over to contracting out any recovery work to local recovery firms. To cut a long story short I arrived back home on a flat-bed at 5.40am.

Best service I ever had with recovery/breakdown has been with Green Flag.

Steve
21-05-09, 11:09 PM
Green flag do that though, they send out whatever company is nearest. My old 1.6 8v broke down in my town after a 170 mile journey because the clutch cable got stuck down, he didnt even look at it. Just took me straight home.

Mike
21-05-09, 11:13 PM
Green Flag FTW!

craig green
21-05-09, 11:17 PM
Good to hear Green flag are still rated tbh.