PDA

View Full Version : work this one out...

rysmee
31-01-03, 05:43 PM
any advice would be greatly accepted as my car is very sick!
ok... h plate gsi standard except for cold air feed to pipercross pannel filter and ekotec valve, new oil/filter and plugs bout 4 months ago.
problem 1... (not too much of a problem but still annoying)... the idle speed does what it wants when it wants, eg.. sitting in traffic, suddenly the revs will rise to about 2000 and then settle, or will stay there untill i blip the throttle, then usually come down again or somtimes will go even higher... any ideas?? maybe airflow meter or idle speed control valve?

problem 2... more serious.. started a few weeks ago as a harmless hesitation under all throttle conditions except for full throttle. it just felt like when you were going to slow for the gear you were in if you know what i mean.. but now its got alot worse... on and off.. not all the time, but at any speed and unless on full throttle. eg.. coming along the motorway today, cruising at 90 and backed off to slow down, engine started shacking and shuddering and felt like it was about to sieze up or something, put the accelerator back down and it was fine. kept doing this for 5 min then went away then started again 2 hrs later. this one i dont have a clue about, dont think it could be linked to the idle problem.. ??????
?????? thanks

jatinder
31-01-03, 05:50 PM
fuel supply problem? change your fuel filter about ideling probs i dontkknow?

Dicko
31-01-03, 07:49 PM
well what engine is it, as you never said. im guessing its injection. do you have an EGR valve as these can bugger up and cuase the same effect. another option on an injection engine is the thottle switch, bacially tells the engine at what position the throttle is. if knackered this usualy cuases the problem your described where its difficult to stay at a constant speed

Chris LR
31-01-03, 07:56 PM
I doubt this is the cause of your ideling problem, but auto choke knackered?

Other one is just your cars excuse for going fast?

Manta Mad
31-01-03, 10:48 PM
I would guess at the idle valve being the cause of the revs problem and as said above, check the throttle switch for correct position. Usually the ECU will switch off the fuel supply on a closed throttle and not bring it bacl on until a bit below 2000rpm - if your idle revs are high, the fuel will never switch on as the revs aren't dropping enough, it will wait until you accelerate again.

Get the valve sorted and make sure the throttle switch can be heard to click as you open it slightly - hopefully that will solve the problem.

stugsi
01-02-03, 09:31 AM
i had a bit of that prob had k&n fitted worked well for a bit then started to play up
i took the egr vaule off and cleaned all the coke out of it be careful not to lose the small sleave as i did still had a bit of a problem so had it r/roaded and the ecu reset (touch wood no prob since)

rysmee
01-02-03, 07:03 PM
yeah 1.6 injection. so no auto choke.
yeah i guess my car just wants to be driven flat out everywhere!
well its going to nova tech on monday morn so hpefully have it sorted.. got to drive to worcester on tues morning.. i'm one of the lucky 1000 people in the country to be in the exchange &mart f1 drivers challenege.... if i get there.