PDA

View Full Version : How do/can i check me gearbox and clutch oil

MattyWoo
31-01-03, 05:29 PM
Also can i actually buy oil to top it up with?? if so how do i top up the oil level??

mix n match
31-01-03, 08:25 PM
There is a plug on the passanger side of the gear box behind the drive shaft, this is the level plug. When it comes out of here it is full.

The filler is the plastic cap on the top of the gear selector.

There is no drain plug as vaux think the oil should last the 'life' of the box so to drain it you need to remove the bottom plate below the diff which will need a new gasket. I would go to vaux for the oil because if they say it will last the life of the box it will be good stuff :)

hope this helps m8 :D

Chris LR
31-01-03, 08:31 PM
The plug bung is pointed out in haynes. if stuff comes out fine.

You can also top-it up by putting some in a washing-up bottle and aiming the oil into the hole, better to put a straw on the end though.

Dicko
31-01-03, 08:41 PM
yes buy a frikin manual!!!!!

Fester
31-01-03, 09:17 PM
deffo worth the joke book, sorry haynes manual

MattyWoo
31-01-03, 10:30 PM
I've got a manual dammit. I got the manual before i got the car!!!

Manta Mad
31-01-03, 10:37 PM
Thing to watch when topping up the oil is that you use the right type. I needed to top up mine and used normal gear oil - got a bit of a shock when red stuff started pouring out of the level hole. Turns out some Novas have normal gear oil (brown) where as others have the red Dexron stuff (sure its Dexron III) this is the same stuff thats used in auto boxes and some power steering systems. I bought mine from Vaux to be sure I got the right type and had to drain and refill. Takes 1.8 litres.

Removed the bottom plate as mentioned above but managed to replace without changing gasket with no leaks :D

Did improve the gear change as well. Cost around ?10.

Chris LR
31-01-03, 10:39 PM
Blue manual, Page 105, Fig 6.1

nova dosed
31-01-03, 11:05 PM
Er ok but i can never find the bloody level plug to check it when i put sum in i kinda guess. Also make sure u undo the plug nut thing under the plastic cap as its sooo much easier to fill ive seen people struggle for ages by not doing that.

Where is that dam level check place do u need special glasses to find it casue i cant find it and i dont have special glasses.

Manta Mad
01-02-03, 10:35 AM
Its easy way to do it - for access anyway is to remove the front passenger wheel although you might get enough space by turning the steering wheel fully to the right (as if you were going round a right hand bend) you will see where the driveshaft comes out of the gear box - at this point the level plug is to the top right of the driveshaft - its just a bolt head with a moulded in washer behind it - something like a 13mm socket will fit it.