PDA

View Full Version : newbie needing advice

Dan22
20-05-09, 06:16 PM
hi there,
im new on here and im interested in buying a nova gsi i hav found and having only owned an astra before would like some advice on things to look out for when i go and view it
thanks in advance

mowgli
20-05-09, 07:15 PM
basically, the only bits on a nova that don't rust are the bits that aren't made if metal..

the suspension mounting points front & rear need a good looking at, the inner and outer arches, the door bottoms, the front vallance under the battery are popular rusting points

also there are a lot of not real gsi novas. the easiest way to check is the front suspension turrets should have an extra metal plate welded on the top for strength.

the drivers seat usually wears out on the right hand side.

just have a really good poke about & test everything. it could be a goodun.

Dan22
20-05-09, 08:02 PM
everything you've said seems to coincide with the one i've seen lol
looking for a project car really now i've left college so can deal with that
do all gsi's has the strengthening plate?

mowgli
20-05-09, 08:20 PM
everything you've said seems to coincide with the one i've seen lol
looking for a project car really now i've left college so can deal with that
do all gsi's has the strengthening plate?

all gte's and gsi's have the plates, and a few other cars that have had a chassis strengthening kit fitted.

check out the insurance situation first cos a gsi could be crazy money

Ernie
20-05-09, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the site.

Dan22
20-05-09, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the site.

thanks

yea insurance is a bit much at the mo
will just be able to manage tho

will check the struts then

thanks alot guys

Nova_Tek
20-05-09, 09:14 PM
basically, the only bits on a nova that don't rust are the bits that aren't made if metal..

lol True!

Got rep you for that classic lol (if it lets me)

Welcome to PNG first of all,

Secondly look at it this way mate, GTE's are 20 odd years old, give or take, And GSi's around 15. What 15+ year old car do you know thats never had rust? Little or none most probably.

The main areas are rear arches, bottom of doors, sills and battery tray. Most important area is the chassis, suspension areas check it properly and make sure its clean.

Have a look out at what Mowgli said about a proper GTE / GSi as there are quite a few replicas around.

If you are lucky you will find a mint GTE thats been kept in a warm garage for 20 years and only driven on sunny sunday's by an old geeza thats a former vauxhall mechanic but now needs to sell it. Otherwise you will probably find a nice one which needs minor attention ;)

Good luck :thumb:

Sloth
20-05-09, 09:16 PM
theres a calypso red gte on ebay atm for 900 b.i.n

james_the_twin
20-05-09, 10:37 PM

I sold my nova to my brother n he had it for 8 months, and he didnt wash it even once in the time he had it. We live down a really muddy dirt track in the countryside and through winter you pull up each day like youve been in a rally. I bought it back off him last week and washed it. Miraculously there was hardly any rust at all!!! Only little bits coming through on the wheel arches. Lucky lucky.

By the way my novas 21 years old, and ive taken it off the road and over a 7 foot hedge at 60 miles an hour. Im alive, and all it lost was a headlight and wing mirror..... Its a bloody tank not a car!!!!!!

Dan22
20-05-09, 10:39 PM
the mud must've made a protective layer lol

wwmnw
20-05-09, 10:56 PM
theres a calypso red gte on ebay atm for 900 b.i.n

Oooo This (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-VAUXHALL-NOVA-GTE-RED-SUBTLE-MODS_W0QQitemZ190308070838QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutom obiles_UK?hash=item190308070838&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1| 293%3A1|294%3A50) is nice

Dan22
20-05-09, 11:13 PM
5" backbox tho lol
bidded 640 on a black gsi but reserve wasnt met
o well lol

wwmnw
20-05-09, 11:19 PM
5" backbox tho lol
bidded 640 on a black gsi but reserve wasnt met
o well lol

Easy to change.