PDA

View Full Version : police and modifications

marc novataken
20-05-09, 02:12 PM
just wondering, if you are pulled over, can the police find out if the car is insured as modified or not? not for me, i wouldnt risk it but for my brother in law :tard:

Southie
20-05-09, 02:18 PM
Why risk it?

NathanSRi
20-05-09, 02:18 PM
I would've thought so, they can contact your insurer at the road side, so if you have loads of mods there's a fair chance you'll get caught, but i reckon if you don't get pulled for something in the first place they won't pull you to check

marc novataken
20-05-09, 02:20 PM
thats what i thought, all my mods are covered but hes just passed his test and wants to insure it as cheap as possible. i told him if he legally has no insurance then

Jack
20-05-09, 02:21 PM
Depends on the modification. Stuff like undeclared engine conversions, yes they can find that information out. Small time stuff like wheels, exhaust etc, thats up to your insurer to say whether or not its covered, in which case the police will then do you for invalid insurance

NathanSRi
20-05-09, 02:32 PM
Depends on the modification. Stuff like undeclared engine conversions, yes they can find that information out. Small time stuff like wheels, exhaust etc, thats up to your insurer to say whether or not its covered, in which case the police will then do you for invalid insurance I saw a corsa advertised on PistonHeads a while back.
It has a wide body kit, 17's, lowered, Colour-changing paint, Leather Interior AND a C20xe, and probably some other bits, and it was registered and insured as a standard 1.2, the guy said he was selling it because he's lost his licence and may be facing a prison sentence cause he was pulled for speeding and they found all that out lol

So yeah, mods that make your car go faster are best to be declared, but even stuff like alloys should be declared just to be safe as they add to the potential of it being nicked, but as RJ said, when it comes to the smaller stuff, it's up to your insurers.

muzzy
20-05-09, 02:36 PM
You should declare things like wheels etc because your not likely to be paying that much extra for them so its better to do that than end up crashing or whatever and either getting nothing or done for invalid insurance. It really does my head in when folk want a fast car but arent willing to pay the price like the rest of us.

Jack
20-05-09, 02:37 PM
If in doubt, declare everything.

The point I was making is the police would most certainly do you for an undeclared engine. They'd probably not bother if you had slight trim changes, although they could if they wanted to.

xe Dan
20-05-09, 02:50 PM
yeah they can pulled my friend the other day and they phoned them why he was waiting lucky enough he was leagal

George g
20-05-09, 02:52 PM
interesting thread this one. would be interesting to hear from SKY or something. my insurance is a competition one for road rallying and it states that any mods are covered that are suitable for the event without having to tell them - i.e. not ICE or styling changes, only performance. in fact my insurance is ONLY valid if i have declaired an engine modification... so would be interesting if they could find out if my policy just says "all mods declaired" or something or if they get a list up? :confused:

RJM25R
20-05-09, 03:08 PM
Most idiots who aren't legit are posting up on here anyway, so there's lots of evidence to f*ck themselves when it comes to a claim!

Jack
20-05-09, 03:17 PM
interesting thread this one. would be interesting to hear from SKY or something. my insurance is a competition one for road rallying and it states that any mods are covered that are suitable for the event without having to tell them - i.e. not ICE or styling changes, only performance. in fact my insurance is ONLY valid if i have declaired an engine modification... so would be interesting if they could find out if my policy just says "all mods declaired" or something or if they get a list up? :confused:
Have a look and see what your certificate says.

One would assume that as its a road rally/motorsport policy it doesn't cover you for typical road use so you wouldn't be stopped by the police anyway?

Spudly
20-05-09, 05:17 PM
All mods must be declared these days even down to window tints beleive it or not, and if the feds dont have the means to directly ask your insurers at the roadside they take digital pictures of your vehicle and mods and email off to your insurers for clarification!

Dont risk it as its not worth the hassle if you get busted!

ste porter
20-05-09, 07:26 PM
i just insured the turbo with sky (free plug there realy good) with every nut and bolt declared on my certificate is says 1.2 i.e what it was originaly but stapled to it is a mods decleration with everything listed
the only thing is the car is still registered as a 1.2 at the min but insured legit with the engine ect and on the mod form at the bottom it clearly states 2.0l 16v turbo engine fitted but im not sure where i would stand with it still registered as a 1.2

Spudly
20-05-09, 07:30 PM
You will need to update it with the dvla as youre only paying tax as a 1.2 so in theory youre committing tax fraud and could face prosecution for it:eek:

Dave.
20-05-09, 07:32 PM
when we insured my nova on the traders, they never asked if it was modified, and on the policy it doesnt say modified. some maya sk, some might not

mowgli
20-05-09, 07:32 PM
I have mine on a classic car policy with all mods declared for 220 quid... but then I am an old codger with 5 years no claims.

ps, sky told me they wouldn't do a policy under £300

George g
20-05-09, 07:41 PM
Have a look and see what your certificate says.

One would assume that as its a road rally/motorsport policy it doesn't cover you for typical road use so you wouldn't be stopped by the police anyway?

2000 non competitive miles a year. unlimited competitive. not too sure what it says on my certificate... will find it later... but would be interested if the poice can find out if you are insured for mods on their system as it would stop me getting producers for the nova... lol

DAFTJOHN
20-05-09, 07:47 PM
I had a similar policy on the Xsara VTS - they suggested it as I was only using it on the road now and again and mostly on track - it ended up cheaper than normal road insurance. I did have the nova insured as a 1.3 but changed that to a 2ltr too, not much problem guess I'm getting to that age where they don't think I'm a risk anymore..

Jack
20-05-09, 08:47 PM
i just insured the turbo with sky (free plug there realy good) with every nut and bolt declared on my certificate is says 1.2 i.e what it was originaly but stapled to it is a mods decleration with everything listed
the only thing is the car is still registered as a 1.2 at the min but insured legit with the engine ect and on the mod form at the bottom it clearly states 2.0l 16v turbo engine fitted but im not sure where i would stand with it still registered as a 1.2
The insurance may not cover you as your car is untaxed (wrong taxation class = no tax), and a lot of policies say the car must be either SORN or Taxed for the insurance to be legit. Can't remember if thats the case with Sky though.

However, as said, you'd have more problems with the tax than insurance. Get that sorted ASAP.

Sloth
20-05-09, 08:52 PM
my uncle works for just car clinic, theyve just had a claim rejected because the lass had a set of fluffy pink car seats and a fluffy pink steering wheel cover fitted, but not disclosed. "failure to disclose modifications" covers EVERYTHING, and insurers and the cops are hot on it atm.

letvalva
21-05-09, 12:20 PM
do pattern parts class as no standard items then, cos if fluffy dice are voiding policys surely a set of lower quality brake pads will be frowned appon?

George g
21-05-09, 12:29 PM
my uncle works for just car clinic, theyve just had a claim rejected because the lass had a set of fluffy pink car seats and a fluffy pink steering wheel cover fitted, but not disclosed. "failure to disclose modifications" covers EVERYTHING, and insurers and the cops are hot on it atm.

on that basis air freshners, seat belt pads, seat covers, sat nav's, any form of fluffy dice/hanging item, parking permits or baby on board signs are all modifications that the insurance wont cover and will reject.:roll: :eek: however try telling them that over the phone when they ask about modifications and they will laugh at you! :roll:

There must be something else to that story, like there are fluffy dice that are huge hangin off her mirror obstructing her view? a police report that puts her at blame instead because the steering wheel cover does not give enough grip? or are these seats pink fluffy bucket seats?

i do know that anything other than the sticky steering wheel covers are frowned upon as they dont grip the wheel as well as your hands do...

Jack
21-05-09, 12:46 PM
One would of course use a bit of common sense to differentiate between accessories and modifications

Fluffy dice etc are a bit of a grey area, as the police may take a dim view on anything that obstructs your view.

As for pattern parts, do they not have to be manufactured to at least OEM standard? There could be a legal case there if an accident was caused by sub-standard aftermarket replacement parts.

FB_evolutions
21-05-09, 12:51 PM
no mate they cant my mates got a 1.6 8v in a 1.2 nova and after 2 sections 59's his car was seized to the impound at LTR and they had vosa check it over and still didnt click in ;)

George g
21-05-09, 12:59 PM
One would of course use a bit of common sense to differentiate between accessories and modifications

Fluffy dice etc are a bit of a grey area, as the police may take a dim view on anything that obstructs your view.

As for pattern parts, do they not have to be manufactured to at least OEM standard? There could be a legal case there if an accident was caused by sub-standard aftermarket replacement parts.

thats what i would have thought. i find this quite intersting as there is nothing more hipocritical than the british car insurance/policing system. thats why i would liek to know SKY's view on things as if this stands then my standard road car could have invalid insurance due to a couple of parking permits that "should be displayed on the windscreen at all times"(which is a grey area anyway) and an airfreshner... :tard:

ste porter
21-05-09, 07:40 PM
thats what i dont understand as it says 1.2 on certificate but states the engine change on the mods form so in theorey if i change it to a 2.0l on the log book that would then invalidate the policy as its not a 1.2 then

General Baxter
21-05-09, 07:50 PM
thats what i dont understand as it says 1.2 on certificate but states the engine change on the mods form so in theorey if i change it to a 2.0l on the log book that would then invalidate the policy as its not a 1.2 then

mines like this, but i have it in writing its 1.4 on the log book, but insured as a 1.6 (all mods) iv told them the problems iv been having with the dvla being **** holes, as soon as the log book is sorted, 3 months and counting, it took them 8 months to go from 1.2 to 1.4 lol, iv just got to phone them any they will swap it over :thumb:

Jack
21-05-09, 08:18 PM
Technically the car is a "Vauxhall Nova 1.2" but fitted with a 2.0 engine. The insurance is correct, but the tax isn't.

Baxter, go to the local DVLA office in person. I did and mine was sorted in about 3 minutes.

General Baxter
21-05-09, 08:20 PM
Technically the car is a "Vauxhall Nova 1.2" but fitted with a 2.0 engine. The insurance is correct, but the tax isn't.

Baxter, go to the local DVLA office in person. I did and mine was sorted in about 3 minutes.

im not parking my nova in birmingham lol

Jack
21-05-09, 08:22 PM
im not parking my nova in birmingham lol
No excuse, the Birmingham DVLA office has 90 (secure) on site parking spaces.

Off you toddle then :thumb:

Benn
21-05-09, 08:53 PM
I have mine on a classic car policy with all mods declared for 220 quid... but then I am an old codger with 5 years no claims.

ps, sky told me they wouldn't do a policy under £300

Can i ask how old? As thats very cheap. I have 9years ncb, ok my novas got very box very well ticked on the modded side but i paid £350

And yes, if its being taxed/on the log book as a 1.2 but its fitted witha xe or what ever, it voids the insurance.

mowgli
21-05-09, 09:02 PM
Can i ask how old? As thats very cheap. I have 9years ncb, ok my novas got very box very well ticked on the modded side but i paid £350

And yes, if its being taxed/on the log book as a 1.2 but its fitted witha xe or what ever, it voids the insurance.

i am 40 & i went with Performance direct with a 3000 miles 'limit'

Benn
21-05-09, 09:09 PM
Ah, that might be why.